PSA upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JuniorRanger, May 31, 2012.

1. JuniorRanger

JuniorRanger New Member

2. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

Are you shooting precision, HD, Plinking?

As far as it being a PSA, they are GTG if you dont mind a bit of a wait (if it's in stock, still expect two weeks to ship).

I don't know much about the chamber, never did much research on it since I was set on a 5.56.

SS is nice, look at CL if your looking for a long life HD or SHTF rifle.

Mid length is the way to go IMO.

I would buy it of I was looking for a precision upper as long as the chamber wasn't prohibitive of it.

3. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

I'm getting my build underway and I think I might have to go with a PSA upper rather than my original BCM.
    PSA have any trouble with steel?

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I haven't had any issues running steel through my PSA.

5. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I looked at getting that exact PSA upper. The Wylde should lend itself to being slightly more accurate w/ .223 and 5.56. 1:8 will work well w/ a decent variety of ammunition lengths/weights.

The SS is good when you're looking for a little more accuracy but has a shorter life expectancy than CHF CL barrels.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

No problems running steel in either of mine , My buddy just ordered a 16" carbine last monday and it shipped today . the waits not terrible since they are built to order and test fired , they dont just have them built sitting around on the shelf which is what causes the wait . I have never had to wait longer than 2 weeks on a upper . They are accurate and I have never had any FTF or FTE issues with either one besides a bad mag I bought new

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

My PSA is a JAM-O-MATIC!!!

Very unhappy with it!!

Averages out to about every 1 in 10 is a FTE!

Pros: Accuracy is awesome, and when it does eject correctly it dumps the spent brass in a nice neat little pile.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Any particular reason why you are wanting a stainless barrel?

Why do you want a Wylde chamber?

9. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

What ammunition/mags are you using? Have you contacted PSA?

10. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yeah I would definitely check your mags. I had a two of the old school mags I was issued that the rifle didn't like, replaced them and no issues.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

FMJ , take a look at the buffer and see what its stamped with sounds like maybe you got the wrong buffer with the upper . This wouldnt be the first I have heard of with PSA on the wrong buffer . Might check the extractor also and see how it looks . I have had zero issues with either of mine . Might try another mag also , I had one new alum mag that was a FTF special , I didnt even mess with it I pulled the guts and tossed it in the trash . no problems since

12. fmj

fmj Active Member

Mags - 1 factory mag (the one that came with the gun) 3 P-mags.

Only markings i can find on the buffer is the PSA logo.

Have checked and rechecked plus cleaned/brushed the extractor.

Have run it oiled and dry. (dry is per factory instruction manual)

I can find no rhyme or reason for the ejection issues.

I WILL be contacting the factory...i just kinda wanted to wait until i went over the 1000 round mark. I will be over 1K rounds this weekend when i get back from the machine gun shoot i was invited to. I will be asking A LOT of questions of the guys in attendance at this shoot as they are all full auto/"black gun"/"assault weapon" addicts.

13. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

The manual says to run it dry?

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I would have already made the phone call . You have a problem . how easy do the the spent shells come out when you get a FTE if you take one out by hand ? Also if you can get a clear pic of the extractor post it up
    PH

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

yeah I just ignored that part of the manual when I took a quick look at it looking for warranty info

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I'm shooting w/ a couple guys tonight. One purchased a PSA not to long ago. I'll have to ask him how he feels about that. He's a knowledgeable guy, former 11B, actual shooter. His reply should be short and precise. I'm guessing it'll be along the lines of a shake of the head followed by some form of "retarder".

17. fmj

fmj Active Member

Yep!

[​IMG]

Sent an e-mail...will prolly make the call on the morrow.

Its not easy to extract at all. Its got one stripped off the mag. and the spent case and the fresh round are crammed in the chamber (attempt to anywho) together. Takes a flat head screw driver and prying pressure applied to spent case to get it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am the first to admit that i am new to the AR platform. But assure you, I am NO "retarder" when it comes to guns and shooting. With over 30 years on the firing line i think i might have a slight idea of thew ins and outs.

Yeah, i ignored it the first time i cleaned it...but when i continued to have issues i figured i would follow the instructions to the T...still having same issues!

18. Alwayscarrying

Alwayscarrying New Member

Let us know what you hear, fmj. I've been having similar issues with mine, just not as frequently. Maybe 1 or 2 rounds each mag.

19. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Sorry FMJ. I didn't mean you were retarded. I was making reference to the manual saying to run it dry. I apologize for not being very clear.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

That extractor still looks like new , if its really that hard to get it out of the chamber sounds like they flubbed on the chamber bore and when it expands its literally stuck , You using brass ammo or steel ? . I know it shouldnt matter because mine runs both fine . but if its doing that with brass dont even think about running steel thru it or you will have to drive it out from the other end . I would give PSA a call , they will take care of you .

Last edited: May 31, 2012