PSA Rifle Kit Question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by blucoondawg, May 19, 2014.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I've done tons of reading on the ARs mostly on this forum and a couple other places, I haven't gotten one together yet but I do have 2 PSA stripped lowers I picked up before the craziness and 1 lower parts kit, I have been thinking bout getting a rifle kit from PSA and throwing on one of the lowers but I don't really know what I am looking at, I mostly know the specs to look for when shopping ARs but what is the deal with all the different uppers PSA sells, do they come from different manufacturers with different qualities of build? For example there is the Blackhawk, the PTAC, the PSA Mid CTR, the PSA CMV, now they have the Freedom line, what is all of this?

2. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

PTAC is not PSA. They are a separate company based out of Florida. They are also considered by most to be of lower quality than PSA, thus the lower price.

What you must remember is Palmetto State Armory is not only a firearm manufacturer, but also a gun store; thus they sell other companies products.

Now on to genuine PSA stuff. CHF stands for Cold Hammer Forged. It is a process of making the barrel that is generally considered to make the barrel better. Please google to read more about that and other acronyms.

When PSA says Machine Gun Steel, they are taking about what the barrel is actually made of. MGS is considered to be very good, as most companies just make barrels out of Chrome Moly Vanadium? steel.

Basically, PSA offers standard line products and then they have their "Premium" line. Look at the specs and research what they mean. PSA makes good stuff regardless of what line you choose, it just depends about how hard you are going to work your rifle and just how much you are willing to pay.

3. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Oh, and don't worry about whatever cute pet names they give their rifle kits. Just look at the specs and decide if that is what you want.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  5. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Why, let me ask you this, what use would fit that rifle? What about this rifle is not good as far as spec goes?

7. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Rifle would likely be hunting, general shooting, truck gun, personal/home defense, and if the **** ever hit the fan it would be available. Am I going to go to a "range" and run off 1000 rounds per month in preparation for the apocalypse? No.

I really don't follow the "what is the use" philosophy so often used on this forum, I follow the "bang for my buck" philosophy, I want the best quality possible at the lowest possible price, I am not going to spend 2000 bucks on a rifle, but I will spend a little more to get a better product, basically I want the best mid range unit I can get, I don't want to buy something thought of as junk, bushmaster, ptac, delton, Olympic, etc.

8. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Thanks for answering a question with another question.

First off, there is nothing "bad" about that rifle or it's specs. It just might not be the optimum set up for what you want to use it for.

That rifle would be great for target shooting out to maybe 300 yards with an experienced shooter.

If I were to use it for Home Defense, then the only thing I would personally change out would be hand guard to a quad rail so it would be easier to mount a flashlight on.

If I was making a long distance rifle or a bench varmint hunting rifle then I would go with a heavy profile free floating barrel of at least 18 inches.

If I was going into combat then I would probably want the BLACKHAWK rifle they offer but with a full auto carrier and a quad rail.

So as you see, different rifle for a different purpose. One rifle might be work okay in all situations but will not be the best option for all situations.

9. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Look. I understand where you are coming from. I do. IMHO, all PSA products are going to work great for you. If that is your attended purpose, then that rifle would be fine. Like I said, personally I would add a quad rail to it, but that could be done at a later date.

If I were you, I would check out the sticky thread about AR-15's. You might learn a thing or two about all the different acronyms and be better educated to make your own decision.

10. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Also, looking at that rifle, it has a crap BCG all together. the bolt is 8620 steel which is considered inferior to Carpenter 158 Tool Steel

11. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Yes, with all due respect, I know that and know what is needed for different types of shooting, I am not new to guns just new to the AR, I have a whole pile of hunting rifles in various calibers and actions, I have a 22-250 varmint rifle in a Rem 700, the one I am looking to put together now is just going to be a general shooter, don't so much care about rails accessories and such, the next one I put together will likely be more of a varmint type gun. When asked what was the use I thought you were meaning to compare quality of parts for a difference in a hunting gun as opposed to a duty/training rifle with massive amounts of rounds fired, which is why I asked what about the gun was underspeced.

12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

13. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

No it is not 8620 it is the better quality: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-m4-cmv-rifle-kit.html

I have read the sticky a while back, I have figured out some of the acronyms I was mainly wondering which of the rifles were actually PSA and which were some other stuff and which acronyms may indicate that.

14. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Well if you don't care about accessories then go for the rifle you posted just as is. It is not under spec. My first complete rifle was a Stag Arms that is essentially the exact same as that one, just not as high of quality. I like it just fine. It shoots well, and the round hand guards are more comfortable to shoot with than a quad rail. Build you next one how you want after you shoot for awhile and figure out exactly what the next AR-15 should do for you.

BTW, good magazines are a MUST. Go with Pmags if you can afford them. I have some Israeli made steel mags that work, but I wouldn't trust my life to them.

15. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I was referring to the bolt that comes with the BLACKHAWK kit, not the one you selected. The one you selected has the proper mil-spec 158 bolt.

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

One last thing and then I will shut up, I promise..... well maybe.

If you have the time to build the rifle, you might make out better buying one of PSA's "blemished" rifle uppers or kits. A friend of mine did this and it took me 10 minutes and a bright flashlight to find that so called blemish. It was just a very light scratch in the bluing; not even all the way down to the steel.

17. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Ya I heard their blemished parts are actually quite good quality, that is definitely something to look at

18. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

PSA is running a memorial day sale starting now!

19. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Ya, so far same pricing as yesterday before they put the sale on, at least on the carbine I looked at, it's still 429. I'd like to see them put a middy up on their sale I would jump on that, I may still snag the carbine still evaluating funds.