PSA or MP15 Sport?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by swazispencer, May 25, 2013.

1. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Jut like the title says. This is my dilemma. The PSA is $799. The MP15 sport is $699. Which is better? Which is higher quality? Which is more bang or my buck? Thanks! By the way, this is a birthday present to myself. I'm turning 24 on May 28th. Haha

2. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Just out of curiosity are both of these rifles in stock somewhere or would you have to order them?

I chose a Del Ton Sport as my first starter AR. ($699.00 - specs below) I'm not claiming it to be the best rifle but for the price I don't think you can go wrong. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure what warranty you get with PSA or S&W. (I wouldn't mind owning either of those brads as well) Finding a rifle in stock may affect which one you ultimately choose. My plan was to find a decent starter rifle, get familiar with the platform and then build something of superior quality as things calm down in the AR market. Just my $0.02.

Del Ton Sport

Barrel:
    4140 Steel
    16" Length
    1x9 Twist
    A2 Flash Hider
    Manganese Phosphated
    Phosphated under Front Sight Base
    Taper Pins on A2 Front Sight Base
    Threaded Muzzle
    Light Weight Barrel
    Chamber:
    5.56 X 45 mm
    Bolt And Carrier:
    Phosphated 8620 Steel Carrier Assembly
    Carpenter 158 Bolt
    Heat Treated and Plated
    Mil-Spec
    Chrome Lined Carrier Interior
    Carrier Key - chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 Screws
    Properly Staked & Sealed Gas Key
    Handguards:
    Carbine Length
    Aluminum Delta Ring
    Single Heat Shield
    Upper Receiver:
    Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
    A3 Flat Top with White T-Marks
    Hard Coat Anodized
    Mil-Spec
    Ejection Port Cover and Round Forward Assist
    Right Hand Ejection
    Bore's surface is coated with dry film lube, over the anodized surface
    Lower Receiver:
    Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
    Hard Coat Anodized
    Mil-Spec
    Aluminum Triggerguard
    Semi-Auto
    Aluminum Mag Catch Button
    Buttstock:
    M4 6 Position
    Reinforced Fiber
    Commercial Sized Tube
    Weight:
    5.8 lbs Empty
    Length:
    36.375" Fully Extended
    32.625 Collapsed
    Accessories:
    1 x 30rd Magazine
    Gun Lock

Last edited: May 25, 2013

3. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Well, the PSA is in stock, for now. The M&P I can pick up elsewhere for $739 right now.

4. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

I'm guessing the PSA has the forward assist and dust cover. Are those features important to you? $799 for the PSA is a smoking deal.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

PSA! PSA! PSA!

One of the best AR15 values on the market.

6. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

I'd like to have it. Just in case.

7. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Awesome. Thanks! I think I'm gonna go for it.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Either way you win!

I'm leaning towards the PSA. I'd much rather get the S&W over the Delton.

9. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

I'll admit that I'm a noob in the AR world but why is everybody so quick to write off Del Ton as a starter rifle? Are there reports of quality issues that I'm not aware of? When I was researching base model starter rifles I was impressed with reviews that the Del Ton received and what it came with for the price. (Including the life time warranty) Is it perfect, well no but it seems like you have to give up certain features if you want a $700 rifle. I value everyone's knowledge and opinions on here and look forward to learning more but I am curious of what is is with Del Ton that everyone just says no right off the bat.

10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I echo that. If the M&P is the sport model which based on price I'm sure it is, than the PSA is the obvious winner there.

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Delton makes a good budget rifle. The reason why they are cheaper is because they use cheaper materials and cut corners like testing and quality control. Lifetime warranties are great, if you ever had to use it, but I'd prefer to never use a warranty.

Sure you probably will get a good one. But there a greater chance of you getting a lemon than say a DD or BCM or Colt.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No contest, I'd go PSA over the S&W Sport. But figure out what you want as far as barrel profile and length, gas length and various other features since there are many configurations for about the same price. The Sport comes in fewer versions.

As far as DTI, I try to like them and they are from my birth state NC, but.... you have to be careful if you want a milspec AR. They do let you configure liberally but I think by the time you upgrade you end up in a situation like Stag where the milspec Plus Package costs an extra $100 while PSA comes in much cheaper. I built a milspec PSA last year for under $700 and don't know how they do it!

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

pawjr74, looking quickly at your specs, how much would the DTI cost with:
    upgrade from 4140 non-CL barrel
    upgrade from 1:9" twist
    upgrade to midlength gas
    upgrade to HP/MPI barrel and bolt
    upgrade to 7075 milspec receiver extension
    upgrade to H buffer

The DTI price will quickly go up, probably $100.

14. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

It's not mentioned in the specs but the bolt is actually marked HPT/MPI but I get what you're saying. Even $100 more is not a bad buy but $800 does open up a few more options. My goal was to get into the platform with a decent product for cheap then work on building something great over time. I honestly didn't know about PSA when I made my purchase. I've learned a lot from this site and you guys.

As far as the M&P sport I know it's a good rifle but I think I prefer having the forward assist and dust cover. Not really because they're necessary but it just makes the rifle that much more "authentic."

15. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

I went with PSA. Now, we wait, 10 friggin days. Thanks California.

16. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Ouch California! I'm glad I left that state 12 years ago. (I love CA but not the BS in that state)
    Going to the Padres game tonight here in Phoenix.

17. Hawkeye3030

Hawkeye3030 New Member

I have 4 from PSA. They are made by FN in Columbia,SC. They are quality from butt to barrel. No FTF for 3000plus rounds!

18. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I would pass on the M&P sport unless that is the type rifle you want. Not knocking them, I own one but it was my last .223 AR not my first.

19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The M&P Sport is a good buy. It'll treat you well. Excellent gun, outstanding buy at that price point.

If you want to fight evil to the ends of the Earth in any given situation, the PSA will run longer, harder, more reliably. Folks on boards like these will often tell you "brand X" rules. The truth is, a $700-900 AR15 is a pretty darned good gun in almost any form in my opinion.

An M&P Sport for $700 is a very good gun for a very fair price. I would be tempted to buy one myself at that price. A PSA for $799 (or even a few hundred$ more) is a significantly better gun if you consider it a survival resource. If you consider this a recreational gun that will only digest a few hundred rounds a year, the S&W is your answer. If you want a tough as nails, face down the apocalypse type of gun, go with the PSA.

And no, there isn't a wrong answer. It's all about your budget and your expectations. If I buy a complete AR15, it will probably be from Daniel Defense. But most of mine are builds, and they end up being $1100-1400 rifles. That's simply the price range where I feel my own expectations are best met. You certainly should not feel obligated to agree, comply, or even identify with my expectations.

I have too many ARs. Some of them are for sale. And to those who inquire, I often ask, 'what are you looking for?'. My guns are $1300 guns. They're not for everyone. They're built according to my expectations, and mine are not yours. And they are neither superior nor inferior to yours. $700 ARs are generally really good guns (you get a lot for the $). It's really all about your expectations of your gun. Sort out the bold points of the last line, and you'll probably have your answer.

20. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Sweeper I have to disagree with you on the M&P Sport.

This gun is SUPER reliable, and very well made. I got mine last August and I've put about 4000 rds thru it. Not a single problem out of it, and it's an MOA shooter. I even did a reliability test on it using sand. Twice! Didn't jam either time. However, I did have to manually reset the trigger on the first 4 shots the second time. I can post a video if anyone wants me to.

I know you arnt knocking it, but I want to make the point that its far better than ANY other "sport" model on the market.