PSA midlength upper/weights of uppers

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Quentin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

UPS delivered my new PSA midlength upper today. :D Took a while but I know they've been swamped from the Labor Day sale.

I have to say I'm impressed, it measures up pretty well with my BCM and Daniel Defense uppers which is saying something considering it was only $279 for the barreled upper with M4 handguards minus the BCG and charging handle. I would have bought their BCG but it was out of stock and still is. So I ordered BCM's which is in stock.

I ordered their light profile barrel, expecting a pencil barrel, but got the government profile as you can see in the pictures below. I debated sending it back but after weighing it, it's only two ounces heavier than my BCM LW upper. I thought the difference would be more like 5-6 oz. Looking again at their site, they call the gov't profile light profile and also have a pencil profile. They should use the proper terminology but in the end it's my mistake not theirs and after having the upper in my hands I like the balance and look.

Anyway, the quality is there in spades and the price is amazing. I have $440 in it with the BCG and a spare charging handle and a cut carry handle. It's going on my ArmaLite lower and I'm passing on my ArmaLite upper to my son-in-law who borrows that upper all the time.

I'm not the first to say it here but if you're looking for bang for the buck, definitely check out PSA!
    And for a great deal take a look at this! http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

I noticed that my PSA, BCM and Daniel Defense upper receivers all have the square forge mark indicating they were forged at Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises. Quality was top notch on each and they have nice tapering that the ArmaLite upper does not have. Nothing bad about ArmaLite but there is a noticable difference.

Also I weighed four 16" midlength uppers on my Escali scale and am dropping in the data here.

Daniel Defense LW profile/DD M16 BCG/Gunfighter 4 CH/MOE handguards - 3# 15.3 oz.
    BCM LW profile/BCM M16 BCG/Gunfighter 4 CH/MOE handguards - 4# 1.3 oz.
    PSA gov't profile/BCM M16 BCG/DD CH/PSA M4 handguards - 4# 3.2 oz.
    ArmaLite HBAR profile/ArmaLite AR-15 BCG/ArmaLite CH and handguards - 4# 10 oz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks good and thanks for the review- look forward to the range report :)

What is the square forge mark you mentioned? I have a BCM so I'm curious to see what that is.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yellow circle

Attached Files:

4. ZeusEcho

Thanks I'll have to check mine, never noticed that.

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

hey Q, would you be so kind as to throw out some numbers of your stripped uppers?
    (No bcg, ch, handguards)

Or put a moe handguard and gunfighter and moe rear sight on the psa and compare (assuming your DD & BCM have a moe rear sight on them)

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

When are you gonna break her in? I want pics! No no, how about a VIDEO. :D

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sure! Stripped uppers... Uh, ya want me to pull the barrels? :D

Ok, here goes...

Each barreled upper is a 16" midlength with forward assist, dust cover, delta ring/full barrel/extension/nut/etc., F-marked FSB/bayonet lug/sling mount/end cap and A2 birdcage. No handguards, rear sight, BCG or charging handle.

Daniel Defense LW profile CHF (no sling mount under FSB) - 2# 9.5 oz. ***
    BCM LW profile button rifled - 2# 11.5 oz. ***
    PSA gov't profile button rifled - 2# 13.2 oz.
    ArmaLite HBAR profile button rifled (with railed gas block/front sight, no bayonet lug) - 3# 5.1 oz.

I'm amazed the PSA gov't profile is so light compared to the two pencil barrels. (Still scratching my head on that one.) Anybody else got some figures?

ETA:
    Oh, the GF Mod 4 weighs 1.2 oz, a standard DD charging handle is 1.1 oz. The DD and BCM M16 BCG each weigh 11.6 oz and the ArmaLite AR-15 BCG weighs 11.2 oz.

*** DD and BCM weights adjusted down 1.4 oz due to Mossie Midnight Mount light mount

8. ZeusEcho

My BCM Upper has what looks like a broken A or angled H with a triangle over it, no square. What does that mean?

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

OUTSTANDING. Thank you Q.

Now about pulling them barrels.......... o_O ...............I'm kidding big guy.

2.3 oz difference between the heaviest and lightest, not really much of a difference. We're talking about roughly 5% difference there. That's eye opening.

Also it seems like the MOE guards are lighter than the ovals. The only difference not account for is the weight of the charging handles but they are pretty darn light and won't change much.

How's the newbie shoot? Range report! plzzzzz

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Anchor Harvey Forge...

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Oh man looks like u got a lemon. :(

Just kidding :D

12. ZeusEcho

Oh crap man that's what I thought. Are they good?

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah they're good but you have the receiver in hand, so take a look at it and compare to others. It's easy to tell how good it is. Cerro Forge (keyhole mark) and Cardinal Forge (Cardinal head mark) are good too.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The MOE handguards are 8.7 oz. The PSA M4 handguards are 8.6. The ArmaLite non-M4 smaller handguards are 5.1. All midlength.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Hrm, how would you explain the weight difference from the bcm and psa uppers? Are the milspec CH really that much heavier? No can't be. The are pretty much identical in weight. Did a Mbus sneak on board somewhere? Aaaaa u didn't do a chamber check and had a live round in the chamber!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I don't know why they weigh the same! Surely a LW barrel weighs a few ounces less than the government profile... unless PSA is using polymer uppers... :p

Guess I should weigh them again, maybe I had my thumb on the scale. :D

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ok, I did weigh again and realized I forgot the DD and BCM have Mossie Midnight Mount light mounts and QD sling mounts. Adjusting for that, their stripped weights are 1.4 oz less. The PSA upper came in exactly the same weight as before. I edited post #7 to reflect that. And here are the stripped URG weights again:

Each barreled upper is a 16" midlength with forward assist, dust cover, delta ring/full barrel/extension/nut/etc., F-marked FSB/bayonet lug/sling mount/end cap and A2 birdcage. No handguards, rear sight, BCG or charging handle.

Daniel Defense LW profile CHF (no sling mount under FSB) - 2# 9.5 oz.
    BCM LW profile button rifled - 2# 11.5 oz.
    PSA gov't profile button rifled - 2# 13.2 oz.
    ArmaLite HBAR profile button rifled (with railed gas block/front sight, no bayonet lug) - 3# 5.1 oz.

Still, the difference between the BCM LW profile and PSA "gov't" profile is only 1.7 oz. Does anyone have accurate weights for pencil vs. gov't profile? Or have a PSA 16" pencil barrel midlength upper? I really thought there'd be at least 4-5 oz. difference. Ya learn something every day!

ETA:
    I should add that PSA describes this as their "Mid-Length Light Profile 16'' CMV Chrome-Lined Stripped Upper" not a government profile (though it sure looks like one in the pictures above). The barrel must be slightly lighter than the average gov't profile barrel. Anyway, somehow they kept the weight within 2 oz. of the BCM pencil barrel.

Here's what PSA says about the barrel:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

18. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Quick question.. does PSA upper have PSA logo? The description says no logo. Does the blemished one have?
    Thx. Btw.. nice weights review Q!

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No this upper does not have the PSA logo. I have seen pictures of others that do have the logo on the left side near the delta ring. The barrel is stamped Palmetto as seen in post #1.

20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Im not a big fan of any of the laser etching on anything to be honest with ya . I fill all the etching on mine with black grease pen when I get them anyway , The BCG I leave alone its not a big deal I just dont like anything shiny on my rifles :( They could have come without and it wouldnt have bothered me one bit . I would say the blems probably have it on the side also