Psa ar-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by CJx, Oct 8, 2013.

1. CJx

CJx New Member

Anyone have the scoop on Palmetto State Armory basic AR-15?

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

palmetto makes very good ar's. If you are looking for one and are deciding on a palmetto, you won't regret that decision

3. hoovco

hoovco New Member

PSA makes a solid product. I'd buy one over a DPMS or Bushmaster for sure.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Search for PSA threads, you'll find glowing reports. I have BCM, Daniel Defense and PSA. PSA is darn close yet cost a lot less money.

5. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Jam Up. Buy it. More accurate than a Sig and Olympic arms from my own experience. FN makes their barrels, so you know its good stuff.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

PSA's quality is great. My advice is to take a deep breath, do a little research, and figure out exactly what you want (barrel length/gas system, furniture, handguard, etc). Once you've got that sorted out, just watch PSA for a handful of days and you'll find a winning price.

Going through PSA you can build a 16" ML rifle for $800. And for around $800 that rifle can have an excellent FN barrel, midlength gas, an outstanding C158 BCG, Magpul furniture, a decent trigger, and a $150 YHM/MI handguard. Nobody out there is going to beat that. You just have to be attentive and selective for a few days.

Disclaimer: The "P-Tac" branded stuff they're selling is a little rougher...sort of an upgraded entry level option as far as I can tell. I just built one. Had to clean the BCG up a bit, upgrade the CH, and wasn't too impressed with the trigger. But it was still excellent given the price ($480 full rifle kit, which included a $150 YHM handguard). Add the Quentin Defense billet lower it was built on, and that rifle was built for about $650 with all expenses. I left it at the LGS on consignment for $899 yesterday. And whomever buys it will be doing quite a bit better than they would with similarly priced options there IMO.

7. CJx

CJx New Member

Please continue to leave feedback on PSA AR-15s, but I have a side question

How long do you guys think PSA ARs will remain in the price range they are currently in, $600-900 dollar range?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

no idea. but prolly for a while longer there is a bit of market saturation atm so prices are not going to go up for a while.

however i would do it before the elections of 2014 since thats the next big oppurtunity for the libturds to go balls out with gun grabbing again.

9. UpTheHill

UpTheHill New Member

I have a psa with the 16" 1:7 twist medium taper barrel, and with 77 gr nosler bthp bullets get 3" accuracy at 400 yards. it has the midwest tech handguard and i really like the flexibility it goves in mounting lights, etc.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Just be careful what you get, there are different models with different materials. There are models with FN barrels and others with no name barrels, there are 8620 bolts and Carpenter 158 bolts.

If you want a great milspec build, look for a Premium bolt and cold hammer forged CHF barrel. This will be a great HD duty type setup, that will easily handle range duty and back yard blasting roles. And you can probably get one for about the same price as a mid level Delton or DPMS build.

11. CJx

CJx New Member

Hm, I'm reading that FN makes all of PSAs barrels, not sure of the bolt however.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  12. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

FN makes just about all of PSA's stuff. I know they make the majority. Not sure about bcg's but wouldn't doubt it. They are the best quality AR rifle for the money bar none. I have 2 PSA rifles, one DD, one BCM, one Noveske, and one warsport lvoa....I would put the PSA against ANY OF THEM, ANY DAY, save the LVOA. It's just too awesome to compete. Lol. PSA makes awesome stuff. Buy with confidence.

13. CJx

CJx New Member

If only I had the money, I would buy one instantly. Right now I can only have fun speculating... :( but I'll have one soon enough

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Don't turn this into a political thread.

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Not entirely true. But for the most part, they are FN. And those that are, are indicated as such in the product description. I feel my money goes further with PSA than anywhere else when it comes to a $700-1200 type build.

The 'P-Tac' stuff should not be confused with FN. It's slightly lower quality from what I've seen, but still a solid product at a fair price. But I think the genuine PSA/FN gear is the better buy if you're going to depend on that rifle. And it's really not that much more expensive. $800 carefully spent at PSA can land you a rifle that might cost $1200+ elsewhere. No kidding. And it'll be every bit as good.

Don't be afraid to build even if you're new (it's easy). But please do your homework; which can mostly be accomplished by asking questions on this forum. Folks here won't always agree, but the consensus/popular opinion is likely to point you in the right direction and minimize the burden on your wallet. "PSA" will likely be amongst the most popular answers to many of those questions.

17. CJx

CJx New Member

Anyone know how PSA AR 15s do with .223 ammo of varying weight through the 5.56 barrel? Anyone with a PSA AR have a problem with .223?

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I mostly shoot 55-62gr. No problems with "overstabilized" 55gr .223. I have not tried anything lighter in my 1/7 PSA.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have a Bushmaster and the barrel is marked B-MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 and i shoot a lot of the PMC 55gr. FMJ ammo or the PMC 62gr. X-Tac in mine with good results out of both as far as decent accuracy.

a lot of the commercial ammo available ammo is going to be 223 caliber with lot of the surplus ammo being the 5.56 NATO ammo. personal preference, i would go with a 5.56 NATO barrel simply because of the differences in the chambers and it being more universal than the 223 barrels in an AR.