PSA AR-10 build

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by longunner, Apr 12, 2018.

1. longunner

longunner Active Member

Been a while since I've been here, its good to be back. So the word is I just got PSAs two stripped lower package, it came with a .308 DPMS stripped lower and an 5.56 stripped lower with matching serial numbers. Killer deal, after paying the transfer fee at my LGS I'm into both so far for just over 200 bucks. I am thinking I want to do a long range setup for the .308 and build a spotter type gun for the 5.56. I am totally new to the world of AR-10s and don't know who makes quality parts for them. The guy at the gun shop told me to look at ballistic advantage for the barrel....anyone have any experience with them? I really like bang for the buck and I really like accuracy as does anyone.....

dwmiller likes this.
  2. longunner

longunner Active Member

3. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a look here.
    https://www.firearmstalk.com/index.php?threads/126825/ it's my 18" AR10, DMR build thread. And go back to first page in this thread, I posted a bunch of parts links.
    https://www.firearmstalk.com/index.php?threads/63332/ I'm always posting AR stuff in deals,deals,deals. The last parts kit should be of interest...
    Should be a link to my older AR10 build thread too. It's a 24" DPMS 308 light Hunter custom. Nice info on the mistakes I made along the way. The first thread is much more up to date. Cool gun, but I'd never spend that much time building it over. Go with modern free float tube and lopro gas blocks...
    https://www.firearmstalk.com/index.php?threads/110216/
    Lots of good info, hope it helps. PM me if you want some of my parts source links, most are in the build threads...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    bluez and longunner like this.
  4. 762

762 Active Member

i have an AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor with a ballistic advantage barrel. it's 22" long and .936 at the muzzle. it's one heavy mofo but it doesnt move when shooting and it's pretty accurate for being a semi (with good ammo). check out granite ridge outfitters, they usually have decent sales on them. i plan to use a BA barrel when i build a .308 upper to swap onto the lower.

the main thing you need to know about AR10 style guns is that there is no standardization at all. for example, i used a matching set of aero lower/upper for my build. i bought a CMMG LPK (less the trigger) to use on it. everything fit great except the take down pins. i had to order those direct from aero for $30 (i think i maybe paid $35 for the entire CMMG LPK) so if i were you, i'd buy a stripped PSA upper to go with it, a PSA LPK and probably a PSA bcg and charging handle just to be sure there are no issues.

a lot of the parts with an AR15 are interchangeable, but not all of them. so look it up before you buy something. there's a ton of good info out there. i'll be happy to help as well if you have any questions.

here's mine. has a burris XTR ii 4-20 on it in a larue lt104 mount. timney trigger (highly recommend), luth AR stock, midwest industries rail

Attached Files:

dwmiller and longunner like this.
  5. longunner

longunner Active Member

So what's the preffered barrel length and twist rate? I've heard 18" is good but I like 20" more so for the way it looks really, I have no other reason for wanting a 20" barrel other than the way it will look on the gun. This will be pretty much stricky a bench gun or from shooting from prone and the like .

dwmiller likes this.
  6. 762

762 Active Member

depends on distances being shot in my opinion. i'd probably go 20"-22" if this was a bench/prone gun with a 1x10 twist. you'll gain a few more fps in velocity over the 18" and the extra weight wont matter since you're not toting it around the woods. you can easily get out to a grand with that setup with match ammo, a good trigger and a good barrel.

dwmiller likes this.
  7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Are you dead set on building a 308? There are plenty of other cartridges that will leave the 308 in the dust shooting long range. The 6.5 CM,260 Remington,or 7mm-08 would make better choices,and give better performance down range.

Barrel length shouldn't be under 20" for better performance,and even longer for optimum powder burn/velocities.
    I wouldn't waste my time with the AR parts barrels,and get a real match grade barrel from one of the premium barrel makers like Lilja,Shilen,McGowen,Kreiger,etc. The extra cost is really worth it if you are wanting a rifle that shoots excellent,and not just good.

The better the quality of the barrel,bcg,and trigger,the better results you will get out of the rifle.

dwmiller likes this.
  8. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

^^^^^ What Texas said! I've got a 7mm08 in 26" with a Krieger barrel. Free floated, with a RRA trigger. It's everything that my first AR308 build isn't. I use it for longer range Varmint shooting. It's much flatter than my 308, even handloaded to it's velocity limits. I looked at 6.5 creedmore pretty hard also. Both really pile on the velocity compared to the 308. PSA has several 308/6.5 uppers on sale now under $500 complete, 18" and 20". Bargain 6.5 creedmore starter rifles, swap on a better barrel if you decide it's not accurate enough...
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...5-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-and-ch-5165447981.html
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...djustable-gas-block-bcg-and-ch-516447206.html

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  9. 762

762 Active Member

i can vouch for the 6.5 creedmoor. my LR308 started as a 308, but then i decided i wanted a 6.5. all that was required was a barrel change and gas block change since i went from .750 to .936. just got back from shooting today. here's 10 shots at 100 yards with federal nontypical whitetail 140gr. not bad for a semi and not using match ammo.

Attached Files:

dwmiller likes this.