PSA $49.95 stripped lowers

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by canebrake, Aug 31, 2011.

1. canebrake

canebrake New Member

2. optimator

optimator New Member

How good are these? I'm about a month out from doing my first build. Man, the price sure is nice on these. But I'm still in the homework phase and I'm not yet up to snuff on the different manufacturers.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

PSA has been getting good reviews from some members that have used their uppers. That being said, a lower is a lower is a lower...unless it's made from old soup cans it should be fine...for this price you need to act quickly, they sell out fast and it has taken a long time for them to be available again.

4. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

From what I've read, these are made by the same company that makes Spikes lowers. Don't know how true, but I have read good things about the PSA lowers.

5. luan87us

luan87us New Member

They are no longer made by Aero Precision anymore. But there is a rumor it is made by Colt now because of the same key hole roll mark it has on the lower. PSA has yet to fail in quality so for $50 I buy it anyway. I would have pick this lower from PSA but I don't know when my next build will be and if I do build I want an engraved lower so I'm just holding out for that reason. If soemone I know want to build an ar I tell them to buy this without hesitation. Also if you haven't got an upper. Their CHF upper comes with FNH barrels, just something to keep in mind =D

6. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Might be a dumb question but i will be ordering mine later tonight, do you think they will still have them by then?

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

PSA Lowers

I installed a Rock River lower parts kit in a PSA lower recently, the assembly was smooth as silk.

A GREAT bargain at $49.95.

8. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

Ordered mine today. Can't wait to start my first build. Got a shootin buddy who is going to start his first build at the same time.

9. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Ordered mine today :D

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

A couple of issues regarding receivers. The keyhole mark on receiver is the foundry who forged the original solid forging not the manufacturer.
    The last I was aware unless they have changed, the Palmetto receivers were made by Olympic Arms.
    Colt receivers are made by Continental Machine and Tool.

11. nfafan

nfafan Member

You sure on Oly? They do make a ton of stuff for others (which would shock the AR snobs), but I think their supplier relationship to Palmetto was with the ORIGINAL Palmetto Arms 20" rifles of the early 80's - no relationship with current Palmetto.

12. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

I called Palmetto Arms today to confirm my order. No problem, he said: 10 days. I noticed the price on their web site went up as I was chatting. whew.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I do believe Oly has stopped making their own receivers. I was kinda chatting w/ an Oly employee through a middle man and was informed they no longer make their own.

I love it when people who enjoy real quality get labeled snobs. I understand the defensive nature of us humans but it still makes me laugh.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Guess I'm a snob too! :p

We all have to set the bar somewhere - whether it's for an AR, a truck, tools, HDTV, home theater system, laptop, camera, you name it. I love value but don't want crap either. Normally you get what you pay for. So I like to find bargains on equipment that's plenty good enough to do the job.

Funny, when it comes to an AR I set the bar pretty high - but for an AK, well I bought a WASR. :eek:

15. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

I can't believe I missed this post! I just checked today and it is back up to 79

RLTW!

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Funny because I feel the same way about AKs. I look at a $400 Romanian and a $900 Arsenal and feel fine going w/ the Romanian. In fact my current project is a 107CR-ish Romanian.

For some reason I see ARs as a scalpel and AKs as hammers.

17. nfafan

nfafan Member

Well snobbery in the sense of the AR crowd - as you know from owning an AK - where it serves as kind of self-validation in that since "they" spent what they did on their particular brand of AR, all others must be of lesser.

I shopped carefully for my quality appliances and cars, but I don't beat on others on message boards if they failed to buy the same brand of TV or fridge or Euro sports sedan as I did.

Again, as you know from the AK world and your admitted WASR ownership; AK folks don't trot out "charts" and belittle others for not having picked a certain brand-dujour. Yeah, some like the dimpled SARs over a WASR - but they still go bang and they still came from Romania.

I'm not going to castigate you for owning a WASR, when for "just a $100.00 more you could of had a Yugo", ie: listen in your mind and hear WASR substituted with your choice of DPMS/Bushy/Oly/Stag/Mod1/RR/Noveske, and "Yugo" substituted with Colt/LMT/DD/Spikes. Sounds silly.

And yes; I was on a board where someone actually declared a BCM-parts-gun a better choice than a Noveske... AYFKM? who woulda thunk.

Guess a Joe-Bob's gotta be better than a Colt.

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You always have to look at your use for the firearm in question. I us AKs for plinking at the range. I don't plan on using it for 3gun or as a defensive tool. AKs are also a totally different beast. Their design is much more forgiving of manufacturing flaws as ARs are not. If an AK isn't quite up to "snuff" it doesn't effect reliability or function like w/ an AR.

A dull scalpel is a bigger problem than a pitted hammer.

There's plenty of "snobbery" in the AK world when it comes to those who run theirs hard. You'll find, well at least I have found, most AK owners don't run their AKs all that hard. I've found that a lot of guys get into AKs due to the low cost.

Though there are guys who think the price of their AR dictates it's reliability and/or worth most knowledgeable guys don't. There's actually a trend on "max value".

19. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Still a pretty decent price.

20. dborns

dborns Member

I haven't asked at the gun shop thats close to me what their price is, but is there a set price that is charged when you have to ship to an FFL? Whats the "normal" price, and can they be different at different shops?

Also, does anyone know if Bass Pro is considered an FFL?

Thanks