Proud Owner of a new Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by guthy125, Feb 18, 2013.

1. guthy125

guthy125 New Member

So my wife and I with our daughter met my parents and brother at the south florida gun show on sunday to go shopping for a gun. I was debating to get a gun if I found the right one for the right price. No luck and over priced at the gun show, we all decided to head to Gander Mnt because of the sale ad we saw. My parents got an LCR .357 and I asked to see the basic stock Mossberg.
    It was a thing of beauty and I asked the price and was shocked. $320.99 for a new 12ga. After only a few mins of handling it and talking with my pops about it. I bought it. Now I'm waiting until the 26th to get it. Once I pick it up, heading straight to the range to try the bad boy out. I will post pics and my afterthoughts. I am glad I bought it because my neighborhood is not the greatest and the only "alarm" we have is a GE door stop alarm but its loud as hell. As most of you out there will do anything to protect your loved ones.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Nothing wrong with that! New guns are good guns, Congrats!

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

No problems at all with mine after many years. Congrats. Now you can start with the mods!! lol

4. guthy125

guthy125 New Member

Thank you both, and yeah I'm already looking at aftermarket parts.

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

For home defense you don't need anything but shells and practice. If you want to trick it out and go tacticool that's fine, but don't do it based on "advice".

6. guthy125

guthy125 New Member

I'd only want to add a few things to it. A side saddle shell holder, some night sight and a better recoil absorbing stock

7. paperplatetargets

paperplatetargets New Member

Good Choice, had mine for years and no problems.

8. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

I was given one that had been ran over with a pickup multiple times due to ignorance. And with new paint, scope saddle, red dot, and ported turkey choke it is the envy of my hunting buddies. Never have had a problem with it, even when I was caught in a downpour during a hunt. It is also the gun in my most memorable hunting memory

9. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I've had mine for over 20+ years and it's never missed a beat.

10. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I'm very happy to see that responsible people want to protect their family. Good for you man! I haven't owned a mossberg but I have heard good about them. Make sure you get a regular stock and not the mob/pistol grip only. They are less accurate but either way, I love my 12 GA.!

11. guthy125

guthy125 New Member

Now I do have another question about ammo choices.
    What do most consider to be some of the top? I would prefer to have a round with low penetration and high stopping power if possible? Grain choice too

12. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

00 Buckshot will go through drywall/sheetrock. It really depends on the layout of your house. I have a buckshot load in mine but know where to aim in the middle of the night.

Here is a good video to refer to:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=C29mEJFFIvo&feature=endscreen

13. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I got a couple of 500's, I like it better than Remington's and Winchesters. Good choice and well priced. A good suggestion for sights is the Trijicon Trinium bead replacement. You screw out the BB sight and screw this in. I've had mine for two years and it still glows. It was only $20

Attached Files:

14. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Or you can go this route, but a little over the top.
    It was my first 500 , had too much time on my hands.

Attached Files:

15. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

Were did you get all that stuff?

16. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

It's a Black Aces rail system, CCA forend, Magpul BUIS, red dot, Protech light.

17. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

You made a good choice! My 1st mod would be a 18.5 - 20 in. barrel, for ease of handling in confined spaces. No guarantees on drywall penetration, but a load of #2 or #4 shot is less likely to penetrate 2 layers of drywall than 00 or #4 buck, it all depends on distance, choke, angle and many other variables.

18. guthy125

guthy125 New Member

Does anyone know where else I can get a buttstock aftermarket reduced-recoil stock like ATI's akita one? And also a good nightsight? Links from sites if you have please and thank you.

19. jsimion423

jsimion423 New Member

Amazon! Best place to me to get that stuff. Got several things from them at reduced prices. Saving a little money never hurts.

20. AR10

AR10 New Member

Amazon and eBay.

I like a Mossberg over other shotgun makers as well, except a hook Spas 12 is my favorite.