Pros vs cons...

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by 308Wins, Jul 6, 2013.

1. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

Of carrying a concealed weapon with one in the chamber?
    And what about a safety? What do you think about having a safety at all, not keeping one in the chamber without a safety?
    Thanks

2. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

This is just my opinion.... no offense is meant to anyone.

For years I wouldn't have a pistol without an exposed hammer and a manual safety. Then one day I realized (maybe I read it somewhere) that my revolvers don't have a safety.

If you follow the basic rules of safe gun handling, carrying with no safety and one in the chamber should be a safe way to carry.

If you do not follow the basic rules of gun safety, no amount of "mechanical" safeties will keep you from doing something... dangerous. YMMV

Sorry, after re-reading the OP and my response, I realized I didn't answer the OP's question.

If I need my firearm in a "self-defense" or "emergency" situation, the chances are I won't have time to chamber a round.

The Pros of carrying one in the chamber is speed and response. I don't see any cons, if you practice safe gun handling.

RJ

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The only fail-safe safety is your brain connected to your index finger. Carry one chambered. Use a holster that protects the trigger.

4. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

If you are going to carry a gun. And not have a round in the chamber, then you mite as well carry a stick. You will not have time to chamber a round when seconds count. I carry in condition one or zero. Depending on my gun.

5. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

One in the chamber. No safety except for the long double action pull. My carry guns have a hammer block safety. The trigger has to be completely pulled to the rear before the hammer can strike the firing pin.

6. indy36

indy36 New Member

One in the pipe, for me, ALWAYS. Sometimes it's cocked and locked and other times it's a Glock or Steyr. Doesn't matter to me which, I follow one rule, the gun must be ready to use. You're not supposed to pull it unless life is in danger so following that it's a no-brainer, the gun is ready to use. Whom is to say if you'll have time to rack it or even have the use of both hands. I'm not chancing it. In IDPA you draw from a holster and engage targets. There is no, 'excuse me, if you could just give me a minute to prepare my firearm'. It's draw and go. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then start shooting IDPA. Start wearing the gun around your house, in ready condition. Get comfortable carrying a loaded gun. It will happen. You'll be better for it.

7. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

While sitting around watching TV, at least twice a week, unload your gun and practice drawing from cover (Yes, wear your gun cover!), finger off the trigger, then go to shooting (move finger to trigger) half the time. That means safety off, fire, safety on, reholster. Pick an event on TV that is a shoot or no shoot event: replay of the last game play, shoot! Kid in the commercial, don't shoot! then draw until your hand goes numb or one of your fingers bleeds. Be honest if you trip the trigger while drawing - that was an ND that your training caused you to avoid. Make sure the trigger isn't contacted anywhere in the draw stroke.

Three months of this will have your muscle memory so conditioned and so familiar with your self defense tool that you might decide that safeties are best left to your brain. If not, you'll be able to engage and disengage them without thinking.

Also remember, slow is smooth. smooth is fast. Don't try for speed right out of the gate. Just be very smooth and speed will come. Also incorporate a reload or tap/rack/bang drill every fifth or sixth draw. You will be amazed how fast you will do it without thinking! :D :cool:

8. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

I'm not sure what "IDPA" means

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Youtube Israeli carry techniques.

They do not normally put one in the chamber, but are taught to rack the slide on presentation.

Does that make it correct? Well, everyone has an opinion.

11. azcowboy94

azcowboy94 New Member

But Israelis are pretty good at training. If you can train with their conviction and get the time it takes to draw and rack one then i guess that what you do. But if you want to use Israeli tactics you better train as hard as they do.

12. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Americans are waaaaay too lazy to train like even the average Israeli citizen, much less one of their military. Israeli military also train in force-on-force hand-to-hand combat and have dozens of techniques to handle an attacker and buy them the quarter-of-a-second they need to draw and rack the slide. Be VERY honest with yourself and ask if you are willing to commit to a DAILY training regimen to be that good at carrying an unloaded gun. How long since you had drawing practice? How's your Aikido training going? How about disassembling and reassembling your firearm...blindfolded? How many hours of TV do you watch a week?

There is a commitment to doing anything, and adding difficulty to getting a gun into the fight to save your life is not something most Americans can handle. To keep applying Israeli techniques to the average American is audacious and laughable. We are not capable of this commitment - we might miss an episode of "Dancing with the Stars."

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  13. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Not correct it takes a second to put a round in the chamber so to say that you may as well carry a stick is just wrong. If you have no ammo to put in it then you may as well have a stick. Carry whatever way you are comfortable with and don't let other people tell you what way to carry.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Before you choose to carry without a round in the chamber I suggest a simple exercise.
    Go to the range and set a target out at 21'.
    Draw a line 21' behind your shooting position.
    Have your buddy stand beside you with your gun holstered as you carry it.
    Your buddy yells "Go" and runs for the line behind you. You draw your sidearm and fire at the target.
    If your buddy makes it to the line before there is a hole in the target, you're dead. If you miss the target, you're dead.
    I'll bet you'll find that you die an awful lot especially if you don't have a round chambered.
    But as was stated it is your choice, if you're comfortable with being dead carry however you want.

15. Donn

Donn Active Member

Nice weather we're having.

16. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Agreed, glad the rain finally stopped here! ;)

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

You must know your tools well, just having them does little to protect anyone. Soldiers that are trained to carry live ammo ready to rock screw up often and we train to do it right every-time. I cant tell you how many times I heard M16's going off errantly (Soldiers doing stupid things with the trigger), luckily we trained with blanks!

If you dont train and prepare your mind for CCW, your not going to do anything but make things worse at times when worse can be deadly. Capabilities= Safety is primary, threat assessment response is second. Failure to prepare = nearly guarantee failure to survive your attempt to effect an outcome in a pinch.

Ive run many live fire ranges in my career, the only injuries ever on any of them were burns from hot 50 cal barrels. I even screwed up on one firing the new pistols because I wasnt familiar at all with the piece. Not dangerously, just stupidly and some embarrassment (Entire upper group slid off the weapon while I was reloading, Im a lefty and the release was under my natural grip!!!).

I love the fact that so many folks young and older are taking a renewed interest in firearms, seems like decades since they were common to so many people. My biggest fear is that the constant drumming in of the rules and handling procedures that me and my friends received as youts isnt happening anymore. The day I was old enough to know what a gun was, I knew what the do's and dont's were. I heard it at home, at my neighbors, at my friends and even in school; the NRA didnt need to train us, we were surrounded by safe knowledgeable hunters.

Odly enough, Self Defense wasnt a big part of our training, that summed up in a simple phrase, "Dont ever point it at anything your not ready to kill"...

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Boy , this tread went all to heck.

hey 308win. Maybe you should start with a revolver and a empty chamber under the hammer for CC and slooowly at your pleasure learn about built in safety designs used by different companies and pick how you wish to carry. If you deside to carry with an empty chamber then practice racking the slide one handed.

I have 26 years of CC and 46 years of handgun hunting . I started cc'n with a snubby and now carry a stricker fired DA trigged pistol with no extra external safeties. It can not go bang unless I make a full pull on the trigger. Others prefer a 1911 cocked and locked. I will not carry a 1991 period for PD. My choice. Now you can make yours and expect some things to change with time.

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Donn, you're awesome. Actually, it's a bit hot and humid here.

This is it. We do what is comfortable for us. Then we grow and learn and make some adjustments. Four years ago, I couldn't even stand to hear the word "gun" I was so anti-gun. Now I own 5 firearms, I admire them, shooting them gives me incredible pleasure. It's all a learning, growing process. No one is right or wrong. I am often saying, "I'm just not there yet" and that's the truth. I'm forever learning and evolving. I'll "get there" as I get more comfortable and learn more.

Instead of ridiculing or spending so much time telling others how wrong they are, we should be encouraging, educating and supporting each other so we all grow and learn. And what's right for one may make someone else uncomfortable. We all have our own set of boundaries. And you know what.............IT'S OKAY!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013