Property owners and guns

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by clip11, May 21, 2010.

1. clip11

clip11 New Member

What do you all think about business or property owners banning firearms on their property? I think its wrong on one hand but on the other hand, I do realize that they have a right to make the rules on their own property. What do you all think?

2. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

If they get robbed they won't have to worry about a permit holder stepping in to save them.

3. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

i guess right now i feel pretty damn lucky(again) being i will be assuming or taking over a family business and therefore either way it will be up to myself and my partner regarding the company policy- our office is in an area (dead end street up against RR tracks) that could be considered questionable after dark.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

When I ran my business most of my workers were felons and I was armed.

When you are the boss, you write the rules.

It's good to be king!

[​IMG]

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I think it can't be wrong if they make the rules. I'm not sure what you are getting at, but if your employer does not allow guns on their property by their employees, then you follow the rules. If you decide that you are more right than they are, then fully expect to lose your job with no gripe. If you don't want to work for them, don't.

I don't see this as an issue.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Theft of property is not a threat to anyone's life. In most cases and in most states, theft of property is not a shooting situation. The right to defend one's life with a firearm and theft of property don't always meet in the middle.

7. Missileman

Missileman New Member

A shopping mall in Omaha put up "No Firearms" signs that forbid licensed conceal carry holders from carrying in the mall. Then a young deranged man came in with an SKS and killed a bunch of innocent people (in Von Maur, a high-class department store in the Westroads Mall in Omaha)--no one was there to stop him--he just kept shooting until he decided to eat a bullet. I believe the signs have since been removed...

8. bkt

bkt New Member

The operative words are their property. I don't like businesses that have "Weapons Free Zone" signs and I try to avoid them. But they can do what they please.

9. bkt

bkt New Member

You're exactly right, but it's up to the permit holder whether or not he or she wants to go onto private property unarmed.

10. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

I mean ARMED robbery specifically. There have been MANY cases here in Nashville where they go in to rob a place, get what they want and then shoot the person who gave it to them anyways. A liquor store in east Nashville was being robbed and a permit holder shot the assailants and was thanked by the business owner in person and it was broadcast on the news. I live in a very pro-gun state thankfully.

11. Last Crow

Last Crow New Member

I strongly believe in property rights. The government, federal or state, has no right to interfere. That is why state smoking bans upset me.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am not allowed to carry at work. I am the manager. But there is a rule in the employee hand book that predates me. The owner knows that I have a permit. He knows that I carry everywhere else. But he told me that he would prefer that I not carry at work. I do not carry in the building.

I have had several scary things happen at work. I have legitimate reasons to want to carry at work but still don't do it. If I am killed at work, while being denied the opportunity to carry a gun that I have been trained for and licensed to carry, I imagine my wife will become very rich with the help of a good lawyer.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Armed robbery is a DIFFERENT story. THAT is a defensive shootable offense in MOST places. Nashville is NOT exclusive to that kind of crime by ANY means.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

It is the same as if they said No towel heads or no blacks. It is their place if they choose to not do business with a specific section of people no matter how wrong it my be it is their choice.

You make your choice with your wallet and they will soon go the way of the dodo.

If a restaurant was smoking we didn't go there. On the other hand I would not smoke in the house or in side a building. To me it was wrong to force my nasty bad habit on to someone else that didn't smoke. I am sorry there is no reason you can't sit down to a meal and not smoke do you not sleep 6 to 8 hours with out smoking right.

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I agree 100% with the owner's choice of doing business (metabolic rates during sleep v. activity is another story).

If a business owner chooses to smoke/drink/curse/spit etc while receiving patrons, it is the choice of the owner. Gubmit has no business getting into the owner's business. The free market at the consumer level will decide the fate of the owner's business.

16. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

LOL! I think it'd stir a much bigger sh*tstorm if they posted a sign barring towel heads or blacks.

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Of course it would cause a sh!t storm. Then they would either A: change policies or B: go out of business. If the government can start telling a PRIVATE business what to do then it is not a big step before they start telling you what you can do in a private residence.....

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

On a business trip to NC, I just encountered a hotel with a "No firearms" sign. With wording that made it clear it applied to CCW permit holders. Left my piece in the car. Asked to speak to the manager. Advised him I had a reservation for the next 3 nights that HE had just canceled by his policy that was not made known at the time I made my reservation- and that me, my sidearm, AND MY MONEY were going to another hotel. I also filed a complaint with the hotel chain (Platinum member of their rewards program)

They are free to do what they like with their property. I am free to do what I like with my money- and I will make sure they understand that their choices carry consequences.

19. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Quoted for truth. IMO the perfect way to get the message across. Nicely done!

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

In my hotel it is only the empoloyees that are not allowed to carry. The guests may do so. That is one reason I feel discriminated against. I don't like to have to hope there is another ccw around.