Proper Use of Iron Sights

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jrfusatf, May 13, 2014.

1. jrfusatf

jrfusatf New Member

Ok, I was reading another forum at the S&W site, someone was having problems with iron sights so one of the comments stated they should be using the larger opening on the rear sight for up to 200 yards and then use the small opening for 300 yards +, is this correct? Thank you.

2. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Stumpt...............

What rifle or pistola..................:confused::confused::confused:

3. jrfusatf

jrfusatf New Member

Rifle sir! Windham Weaponary WW-15.

4. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Questions..................

Is the bore worn out..............Is the barrel floating against the stock. are you left eye dominate. is your ammo 10 different shades of grey................Are you lets say a minnie mouse or micky mouse..........No pun intended..........sounds more like the bore.................

5. jrfusatf

jrfusatf New Member

I think there is some confusion here, when using iron sights up to 75 yards should the small or large opening on rear sight be used.

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

For 'quick' shooting (CQB) I use the large aperture. At ABOUT (circumstances my very so this a just a guide line) the 25 yd line I switch to the smaller aperture.
    "Aim big miss big, aim small miss small"!;)

7. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

The large aperture is for cqb, night fire, protective mask firing and short range (about 25 meters)

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. jrfusatf

jrfusatf New Member

9. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Lol..........

So we're no closer to the target, with these replies..........lol......It use to be you could practice all week long, now you can't even afford the groceries...........:mad::mad::mad:

10. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

From US Army - Operator's Manual for M16 and M16A1 rifles TM 9-1005-249-10 dated 1985

1 REAR SIGHT - Has two apertures for range.
    Use the unmarked aperture for targets from 0 -300 meter.
    Use the aperture marked L for targets from 300-400 meters.

US Army - Rifle Marksmanship M16 and M4 Series Weapons (2008) FM 3-22.9 dated 2008

2. For M16A2/3/4, M4, and M4A1 weapons only: Soldiers should use the
    unmarked aperture for zeroing and target engagement at all distances on the KD
    range. When engaging targets beyond 300 meters, the windage knob should be
    adjusted to the range of the target. 400-meter targets will be set on 4 flush, and
    450-meter targets will be set on 4 plus two clicks.
    3. For M16A1 rifles only: Soldiers should use the unmarked aperture (short-range) for refining zero at 300 meters. For target engagements beyond the 300-meter line, Soldiers should use the long-range aperture (L).

Any alignment error between the front and rear sights repeats itself for every ½ meter the bullet travels. For example, at the 25-meter line, any error in rifle alignment is multiplied 50 times. If the bullet is misaligned by 1/10 of an inch, it causes a target 300 meters away to be missed by 5 feet.

Hope this helps

11. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Many hunters in this area would remove the aperture insert and use the large opening, personally this has never worked for me, heck I had a scope on my BB gun.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This is all news to me.

I was operating under the assumption (duh me:eek:) the rear flip

sight larger opening was for fast targeting, under pressure,

and the smaller aperture was for precise shooting. Ah well.

13. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

My eyes are too old for iron sights, so now I put a scope on my carbine and my deer rifle.

14. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

In the Marines we only used the large aperture for night fire no longer than a 100 yards. Under normal conditions we never shot with it. At the range to qualify ,you only use the small aperture at 200, 300, and 500 yards. The sights were the A2 style sights. I guess it's up to personal preference but I would never use it unless it's for CQB.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk