Propane

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by rockratt, Jan 23, 2014.

1. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Dam!!!! Anyone else priced it lately.
    I have a gas fire place that I use to back up the central heat unit and when it is real cold we use it as well. Long story short because it is primarily a back up I only have a 250 gallon tank. Called today to get the tank filled and they said they are only delivering a 100 gallons per customer because the price is so high. I asked how much and they said it is almost 4 dollars a gallon. Been paying 2.50. WTH?????

2. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have been hearing the same thing here in New Mexico, propane prices are going to spike based on shortage of propane. The demand is super high and the supply is low!

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Not surprised, this is the coldest winter since the global warming became official. We are pumping more natural gas than ever, BTW.

4. Bigcountry02

Pulled from another forum on the propane issue!

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/showthread.php?t=194545

5. rockratt

I know a number of folks working in the gas field down in central AR and they tell me it is going strong but where the H E double toothpicks is it going????

6. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

My states governor declared a state of emergency today over the propane shortage.

7. Bigcountry02

They ain't using it for grillin'! :rolleyes:

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

FYI - propane is not the same as natural gas, it is a petroleum distillate, not the stuff they're fracking for.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

the price of propane varies a huge amount in different locations in the USA. I believe propane is a by-product of oil refining.

10. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

We have a 30 gallon/100# tank for our fireplace. Just filled yesterday - Wednesday. 25.1 gallons was $85.00. We get ours filled at U-Haul - they have a volume discount and we usually have our 2 sons - another 25 gallons each. We take our tanks so there is no delivery charge.

11. rockratt

I always thought it was a by product of natural gas but I will be the first to tell you I have no idea!!!:eek:

12. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I'll let you know in a couple of days, we just called in to have our 125 gallon tank filled.
    We use it for our gas Kitchen Stove/Range and our Living Room Gas Fireplace.

We do not have any utilities here except power. We are on our own with a septic, well and propane.

I may have to investigate harnessing the cows for methane production.

13. rockratt

Petty much the same story here. The only thing on it is the living room fireplace that was originally put in for back up incase we lost power which we did for 13 day's after an ice storm in Jan. 2009.
    But because central heat sucks we use the fireplace for heat a lot.

14. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  15. rockratt

16. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

But primary source of propane is petroleum refining.

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

You'd love to meet my shooting buddy then. He eats so fast on the way home, everything turns into methane. I roll the windows down as if I needed to check out the fenders.

18. VoxRomantic

VoxRomantic Member

Propane is a byproduct of "associated" gas. That is, gas produced along with oil

or gas produced from a formation with a lot of high distillate liquids.....

We strip our gas and sell the product separately, for heating in your case,

or a base product for fertilizer, or plastics, etc........

We run it through a plant that strips out. Propane, butane, isobutane, pentane,

and natural gasoline. The pure methane is compressed into a pipeline and

distributed to the midstream.........

Many of the new shale formations are just methane with little or any product.

19. Bigcountry02

I will admit that I chased my Blue Tick Coonhood out of my room with the methane gas attack! :D

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

There are large deposits of NG in the Central Rockies. The price of all heating fuels could be greatly reduced. The shortage of gas is not the problem. The problem is distribution. The Federal Government will not allow the permits to build the needed pipeline net works to get this product to the users. :(