propane vs. charcoal

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mrfox556, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mrfox556

mrfox556 New Member

Which do you prefer? I recently bought a Weber charcoal grill. Its my first charcoal. I've always had gas.

2. wyoprepper

wyoprepper New Member

I love the taste of charcoal but I cant cook worth crap on one so I stick to gas

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I just got a Weber gas grill as an early Fathers day gift and it is unlike any gas grill I have ever had, it works great! It's worth the extra money and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. :)

I prefer gas because it's easier to control and quicker to get to temperature. However if I wanted to cook the perfect steak and had an unlimited supply of time to do so, I would choose charcoal because it can get hotter.

4. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

Charcoal tastes better, propane's faster and more convenient.

Propane for normal days, charcoal for cookouts and tailgates.

5. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Charcoal... no substitute. You cant get the amazing flavor with gas. You would have to season the crap out of it using gas.

For some reason an episode of "married with children" just came to mind. Al never cleaned his grill for that perfect flavor.. it gets better when cooking with dead relatives ashes. :D

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I only use charcoal, propane doesnt give a grilled flavor to the food. plus there is nothing like the smell of a burning charcoal grill in the cool evening.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Weber natural gas BBQ. I have a Weber Baby Q that runs on propane for the RV. I use the BBQ a lot and the charcoal is too much hassle. I do a 10 minute warm up before grilling which get the temp up to 500+ degrees then turn down the flame when I put the meat on. I can do roasts on the big one at 300 or steaks at 450.

8. Big19Ben

Big19Ben New Member

Charcoal, tending the fire lends itself better more beer consumption, gas is good for when you're actually trying to cook instead being drunk and sun burned

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Now that's what I'm talkin about...:p

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have a propane grille for at the last minute decide to want to grille moments! then i have my smoker and wood grille. i only use charcoal on them to get a bed of coals going for the wood i use to cook with.

11. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

I like charcoal, but what I use is a Weber Genesis Gold
    gas grill. Quick to light, does a nice job on most things,
    and fits my current lifestyle well. When I retire in a
    couple of years I'm going to buy a good charcoal grill
    and maybe a Traeger grill to do some slow smokin'.

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

ve a Weber Kettle charcoal grill. That's all I've ever owned. You can't beat the taste of food off a charcoal grill. A gas grill is like cooking on the stove only your outside. You have to have the charcoal flavour on grilled food.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

If i was to ever use propane...it would be strickland propane

14. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Get a chimney to light the charcoal, you won't get that "lighter fluid" flavor. I have both I use charcoal for me and the kids and save the gas for when the ex or IRS agents are over!

15. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Hell ya, thats good thinking :)

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

100% charcoal... having said that, I have a 6 burner gas grill and an electric smoker ;)

17. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Only use charcoal. Wife always complains about cooking slow. Always raves about the food being great.

18. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Shh, that's breaking guy code.

For me, It's all or nothing. Weber is what I usually use, but for flavor you can't beat real wood. Real wood doesn't come in a bag in perfect little nuggets. A week and a half ago I cooked tilapia, a chicken, and some new York strips over apple wood that was a little green still... Lots of smoke :)

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

In do like Charcoal best but I mostly use gas due to the time and convenience! But when I am smoking meat on my smoker it is charcoal and mesquite or other chips all the way!