proof of firearm ownership needed at state borders?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Armed-Citizen, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

occasionaly i travel out of state w/in u.s and have never been bothered to show proof of ownership for m firearm(s). if asked, what does one have to show?

2. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Who is stopping and asking you this? What state, or states, operate checkpoints?

I've never been asked nor stopped for such information.

Bob Wright

3. bkt

bkt New Member

If you're carrying concealed, I can see LEO's asking to see your permit and verifying there's reciprocity with the state you just entered, but that's it. Asking for proof of ownership for long guns you have locked in the trunk is not something I've ever heard of. What, exactly, is the situation you're talking about?

4. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

ive never been asked to show proof, though i it came to me, is there such a thing? i mean, even if your stopped for a traffic violation, one must first of all state theres a firearm in the car. how would they know its truly yours besides trusting your words stating its yours?

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

You could keep a bill-of-sale in the glove box.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I know of no requirement to prove that you own a firearm that you are moving from one state to another.

If you think about it, there will be times when you do NOT own the gun- it is perfectly legal in MOST states to LOAN a gun for a legitimate purpose (loaned son-in-law a deer rifle) and that is NOT a "transfer of ownership" as regulated by Federal law.

And frankly, I would love to see someone "prove" that I own some of the guns I have. You can start with the H&R .410 shotgun I was given on the day I was born. Originally bought through the mail by my grandad- around 1917. Then move on to about a dozen Mossberg .22 rifles. Made prior to the 1968 Gun Control Act, they do not have, and have never had a serial number. Likewise some of my Remingtons, and a couple of High Standard shotguns.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Why would you do that?? I wouldn't.

Unless you're carrying concealed. Then you must show him your permit.

8. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

im simply trying to obey laws and seek if im ignorantly not obeying one of them.

9. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

in other words, just trying to remove doubt by looking around : )

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In Texas you are required to show proof that you actually own a gun :)

11. c3shooter

Let's say that I am going to a match at Ft Benning GA, and driving there from Virginia. For sake of argument, I do not have a CCW. I have firearms in a case, unloaded, locked in the trunk of my car.

I have met the requirements of the Peaceable Journey Act (Federal law that supersedes state law). There is no requirement that I advise Office Friendly that I have a rifle and pistol in a case locked in the trunk.

In SOME states, if carrying concealed, you must advise Officer Friendly that you are carrying on your person. Nothing requires that you show proof of ownership, nor that you are required to own the gun you have.

12. c3shooter

BTW, IF the firearm is a full auto, suppressor, short barreled shotgun, etc- you ARE required to notify the BATFE if you take it out of state. But not local or state police.

13. c3shooter

Robo- In Texas, you are required to prove that you own a gun, a pickup, and a pair of boots- but that is in order to vote. :D

14. jeffxc

jeffxc New Member

in Texas?

I've been here 12 years; have been stopped for speeding a number of times; and have never had to prove that the gun I'm concealing is mine. I did have to show my chl, but that was it. "Have a nice day, sir." is all I've gotten from the officers.

15. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

i appreciate the input so far, thank you.

16. c3shooter

Uh, Jeff- you DID note the smiley faces, yes?

17. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

just make sure you know the laws of the states that you will be passin through, each one has a different view on firearms rights.

18. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

If all else fails, call the State Police in the states that you will be traveling through and ask. They will tell you what the law is. Worked for me everytime, and in most cases I was given kudos for asking. :D

19. robocop10mm

And if you call 10 times, talk to 10 different people, you will get 8 different answers.

20. robocop10mm

Actualy a citable offense. TWIT is the charge (Texan With Insufficient Toolage). Not having a gun, a truck, a pair of boots and fence pliers.

You can check Vernon's Annotated Statutes for proof if you do not believe me. The charge is rarely filed in the urban areas. :cool: