ProMags for Minis: Good?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by rodwhaincamo, Oct 16, 2009.

1. rodwhaincamo

rodwhaincamo New Member

Found that ProMag makes 10 and 20 rnd mags for the Mini 6.8mm, which I'm really considering to be a great do all rifle including HD/SHTF. I've heard often that aftermarket mags for the Mini 14 are very poor. Does anyone know how these work out? Seems the more and more I ask around it's better to play the lottery in hopes of getting the funds for a gas piston AR.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

The 30rd polymer Mini 14 mags work great. Lips might need some trimming to lock in, but no biggie.

I would not use their steel mags.

Not sure which ones they offer for the 6.8.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

My brother has a 6.8 mini and bought the promags 10 rounders and they work well.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Are they the polymer ones, or the steel? Are the steel ones heat treated?

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I beleive they are the steel ones. I'll have to call him to find out for sure. My brother just got them a short awhile ago. He says that he has run each of them a couple or so times times through his mini and they worked great so far.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Find out if you can. Some ProMag stuff is quite good, but other...Not so much.

I'm curious.

7. Laufer

Laufer New Member

The polymer 30-rd. Promag (bought in spring '08) never had any malfunction, although it was only loaded with 6-8 rounds, a few times twenty, to avoid using ammo too quickly. This might not be a true field test.

This is despite the fact that it wobbled each time after it was inserted.
    My Mini 14 was more reliable than a buddy's WASR "AK clone".
    He suffered either a misfeed or ejection glitch with only 100 rounds used.

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Finally got in touch with my brother and he has the 10 round stel magazines.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member