problems with S&W Airweight 637-2

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by gadrooning, Oct 19, 2010.

1. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Normally I clean my guns after each practice session. However after the last session, I skipped the cleaning and did some dry fire and reload drills at home. Being the gun is still dirty, some obvious issues glared out. See pictures below. I noticed that my cylinder was rubbing against my forcing cone. I checked the rotation with the cylinder closed and it does not rub. There is no play back and forth when the cylinder is closed, however there is a little cylinder play back and forth in the open position. It only rubs when closing the cylinder. You can see this by the mark pattern on the face of the cylinder. I currently have about 800 to 900 rounds in this gun. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Attached Files:

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It looks to me that the cylinder crane is out of adjustment. It not only rubbing on the cylinder but also the crane is rubbing. You COULD fix it yourself but I'd advise taking it to a gunsmith or sending it back to the factory.

3. Highpower

Highpower New Member

gadrooning,

I'm not trying to say this is the cause in your case, but perhaps this would be a good opportunity for bear to write up a little something about "flipping" the cylinder open / closed on a revolver like they do in the movies? If he wants to that is..... :eek:

Coming from a pro like him and using your pics as an example might help prevent any newbies from encountering this kind of issue. Would make a good "sticky", IMO. Just a thought that hit me....

What do you think Mr. stalkingbear?

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I'll do a writeup later today or tomorrow. I'm getting ready to go to pain management doc right now.

5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Hey, first things first buddy. We got nothin but time...
    Go take care of #1 - that's what really matters. :)

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Try the opposite end. Check for debris under the ejector star. carbon and unburned powder will end up there and cause the condition you are describing. Fore and aft movement in the open position is perfectly normal. There should be the slightest of movement when closed. For it to be rock solid is a cause for concern. Clean the gun carefully and thoroughly. Keep the underside of the ejector bone dry to prevent this build up in the future.

7. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

well I spoke with someone over at smith and wesson. They will be sending me a premailed fedex box to send the firearm in. I will keep you guys in the loop. I do keep my guns in tip top shape and typically clean them thoroughly after each shooting session. I use to swing my cylinder shut when I had my first revolver and learned the hard way. I always close the cylinder with my weak hand now. but I think bear writing up a article would be great. I did, however, notice after closer examination that the forcing cone has developed a sharp, burr edge on the outside diameter of the cone. The cylinder is rubbing when opening, not rubbing when its closing???? Is it possible that the constant pressure of being sheathed in a soft IWB holster has bent the crane or ejector rod. Also while examining, I also noticed that the rear sight groove is not centered on the frame. I can't believe this is OK in a smith and wesson quality control. The snub has always shot a little right, but I dismissed it as a bad trigger pull. I will post pics tomorrow on this.

8. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Now you got me checking my gun with a fine tooth comb,so fare it looks good. Show those other pic's before you send the gun back,I can't see S/W sending a gun out with bad sights. But I guess it happens. I'v got so many things new in the box and to only find things missing or broken. Every thing MADE IN CHINA...:( nowdays:(

9. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

here is the pics of the sights on the airweight. I put red lines on the edges of the rear sight. You can clearly see the rear sight groove is not centered. May not look like much but on a such a short sight radius, this equates to a couple of inches at ten yards and several inches at 25yds.

Attached Files:

10. bhp9mm

bhp9mm New Member

smith and wesson has very good customer service.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  11. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

LOOKING FOR WRITE -up

Did Bear do a write-up on flipping the cylinder open/close on a revolver. I see people doing it all the time at the range. I was looking forward to reading it. Looked and didn't see anything anywhere,didn't know if I mist it...THANKS...

12. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Think they'll repair that rear sight??

13. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

Are you going to ask S&W to replace the frame due to the sight channel? Please keep us posted. I just checked my new, yet to be fired, Airweight and the rear sight is off center just like yours.

14. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I just measured my 638 and it is perfectly centered, I guess I am one of the lucky ones. :p

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I've seen this on several revolvers, mostly small framed Colt's, even had an owner ask me about it saying "it shoots high and really left". This was on a gun that had to have been made in the 70's, so "China" couldn't have been an issue.

First I've heard of multiple S&Ws having this condition, interesting to see some more pics???

16. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I sent the snub back to smith & wesson with a list the list of issues a few days ago. They were nice enough to send me a fed x mailing label to send back on their dime. I will post pics when I receive the gun back. I am hoping they replace the frame due to the sights and rubbing issues.

17. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Well just received a phone call from S&W. They ended up replacing the frame which means a new serial # so it has to be sent to a dealer with a FFL. I will post pics of the gun when I receive it. I am very impressed at the turn around. Good ol Smith and Wesson.

18. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Great news, and great CS. Let us know how it shoots

19. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

That was fast !!!...

20. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Sorry I have not been on the sight for a while. But I did receive the gun about a month ago. Smith and Wesson had it sent back in licky split but they had to send it to a gunsmith since they replaced the frame, thus a new serial number, thus a FFL was needed. Anyhoot, The gunsmith had it for the last couple of months in his shop, but he took an extended vacation. Not so happy about that.
    Anyways I am happy to report the gun shoots fine and the back sight groove is more to the center, not exact, but good enough. I will have to say that the finished frame seemed darker in color and it seems to me it is a bit heavier than I recall. I don't mind, but noticed the increase of the forward weight. Also I just noticed that my gun seems to be missing the stop plate that moves up and down protecting the firing pin. Unless Smith had changed the design, I could swear they forgot to place it back on. I am going back to the range and try to fire it by partly pulling the hammer back and letting it drop. Other than this it works great and has good accuracy. I will post pics later today or tomorrow.