Problems with reloads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JW357, May 26, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

So, my wife and I have been trying to shoot our M&Ps lately. One is pleasantly used/broken in, and the other is new and I've put maybe 100 rounds through it so far.
    When we shoot my reloads, we're getting a failure to eject on almost every shot. I know it's an ammo issue because today we put a box of PMC through them without an issue.
    I tend to load my reloads on the low end of the manufacturer's recommended powder charges. I do this because to cut down on recoil for plinking purposes. I'm wondering. If the powder charge is too light to cycle the handgun correctly? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Here's my recipe I'm currently using: 3.0 grains of Silhouette, 125 grain round nose cast bullets, and Winchester Small Pistol primers. Here's a link to the bullets I'm using: http://shop.snscasting.com/9MM-125-GR-RN-9mm-125RN.htm

Thanks for the help!

2. tri70

tri70 New Member

It does sound like an under powered load, try going with a medium load. I usually run less than max load for pistols.

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You also might try firming up your grip a bit. "Limp wristing" can cause that problem, and with a lighter load that can be more noticeable.

4. Kraj

Kraj New Member

Using r silhouette for a 125 gn jacketed bullet my lee manual says 4.3 to 5 gns 1.035 oal. So I would look into that or maybe get a lighter recoil spring I'd your going to chase light loads, should help with the ejection

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

With respect, I'm not limp wristing. I basically have a death grip on my gun, and I use Talon grips (not the rubber ones. The hard abrasive ones are on my gun). Plus, its happening on every single shot, approximately 6-7 magazines worth today. Not just for me with my compact sized gun, but for my wife in her full sized gun.

I don't think limp wristing is the issue.

Edit: also, as stated in my post, we put a box of PMC today through our guns without a single issue.

Neither of us changed our grip or stance throughout the day.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting, the load data I found on their website said 3.0 was the minimum and around 4.2 (I think, having trouble remembering the max) is the max. I'm gonna just have to buy a reloading manual I guess.

Although i don't get it, since it came directly from their website. You would think it would match the reloading manuals.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I did not mean to imply that you were limp-wristing. Anyhow, it sounds like the load is too weak in any case. BTW, a "death grip" is not ideal either if you want good accuracy. Somewhere in between is where most shooters find their "sweet spot" for accuracy. It also depends on the gun/caliber you are shooting. I don't have any 9mm, so maybe I should just shut up now...:D

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Fair enough. Maybe death grip isn't the right way to put it. I'm not really straining or shaking. Anyway, its prolly just too weak of a load. Thanks for the advice.

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Just looked it up on Ramshot's website and they start at 4.0 grains and list 5.0 as the max load. If you are loading at only 3 grains that is an unsafe load on the low end. You are risking a squib load IMO. I would pull all of those rounds and reload them to 4 grains or more.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yet another reason why I need a reloading manual. Apparently the internets confuses me... What on earth did I do wrong here...

Oh well, thanks guys. Now, I wonder if Barnes and Noble sells reloading manuals...

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Most gun stores sell them. You can also download the one from Ramshot, and other powder manufacturers also have downloads or they will send you one in the mail (I think they are free for the most part). I use the Lyman book all the time, also have various ones from Hornady, Speer, etc.,

The ABC's of Reloading is also a must have for your reloading bench.
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...re-_-xwtbxymhl3e-_-10:1&ean=9781440213960&r=1

12. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Do you use the factory crimp die in your reloading?

13. mseric

mseric New Member

Duno, but your load is off according to Ramshot.

Ramshot has load data for 124gr LRN bullets with Silhouette.

Here.

Code:
    Silhouette 124 LC RN 4.2 974 5.0 1,096 34,644 1.050  
    http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ramshot_handgun_rifle.pdf

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

Soumds exactly like ujder powered loads. I typically start at the halfway between minimum and maximum for a given bullet powder combination.

I like to work my way up or down depemding on needing target ammo or full powered rounds until im just under or over the powder dispensers charge weight varience for a given powder.

I call it charge weight varience since aome dispensers will throw a plus minus of .1 to .2 or more weight. I will fudge for safety that max varience so i dont go over or under min max

15. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

Your load is too light for the handgun. Increase your charge by a few tenths and fire for effect. Since I work up target loads using a machine rest I typically start low to see at what point the firearm does not function properly. With too light of a load that typically means failing to eject or fail to chamber. I would not recommending changing out the recoil spring.