Problems with my stag, what did I mess up

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by stag556, Sep 17, 2013.

1. stag556

stag556 New Member

I have a model 2t stag 5.56 and the first 200 hundred rounds cycled with no problem. I got home cleaned the rifle using m pro 7 and assembled. Since then I have only been able to shoot one round at a time. The case ejects fine and the next round cycles fine, but does not fire. When I clear the round it does have a light primer strike, and I can load the round with the light primer strike and it will fire. I have tried 5 different mags, all p mags and they function fine in others guns. This is happening with all 3 different types of ammo I have tried. I must have put something together wrong, as I have not added any accessories to the gun from the first time I shot it. I tried cleaning the buffer spring and re-cleaned everything on the gun again, but am wondering if there is something maybe one of you ran across or heard of that I am missing. Thanks for the help.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It sounds like a bolt or buffer issue. Did you take the bolt apart and clean it?
    Definitely not mag related.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Did you put the firing pin all the way in before you put the retaining pin back in ? Pull the BCG and recheck it

4. stag556

stag556 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I did go ahead and clean the bolt, down to the extractor and buffer spring as well. Its weird because it does extract the spent round and cycles the next round but then I get a light primer strike, every time.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If you shake the bolt does the pin move freely? How's the end of the firing pin look?

6. stag556

stag556 New Member

That's what Im thinking is happening as well. I have watched a couple of vids on YouTube about cleaning and assembly but cant get one that shows the end of the firing pin and how much it should be able to move back and forth in the bcg when assembled.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Simple fix, pull the BCG out and remove the retaining pin. Pull the firing pin out and push the firing pin all the way in and reinsert the retaining pin . If you pull the BCG and you tap the back end on a hard surface the pin should not come out , I think its not all the way in , Very simple mistake that can ruin your day out shooting

8. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Does the hammer fall when you pull the trigger or is it not getting reset? I'm having a similar issue but mine won't even strip the next round out of the magazine. I could be wrong but maybe your bolt isn't going far enough back to reset the hammer.

9. stag556

stag556 New Member

It does move freely and I cant see any chips or damage to the firing pin.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Try this.....

11. stag556

stag556 New Member

Ok that is helpful, because my firing pin rattles and I can move it when in the bcg a good 1/8th inch. Is that normal, or is that what I messed up.

Thanks again to all who have responded, much appreciated!!

12. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

It should move some but it shouldn't fall out completely. The retaining pin should keep it from coming out all the way. If it comes out all the way the pin isn't in there right and you just need to push it all the way in and reinsert the retaining pin.

13. seanwhite75154

seanwhite75154 New Member

Every round that is chambered into your AR ( regardless if you pull the trigger or not) will have a light primer strike on it.

I believe the issue is the firing pin not being fully seated as well. Do as others have stated and remove the retaining pin and re-insert the firing pin.

As for the bolt not going far enough back to reset the trigger; if the bolt moved far enough to chamber another round, it moved far enough to reset the trigger. I doubt there is an issue with the buffer assembly.

14. stag556

stag556 New Member

Ok great I will work on all the suggestions, and again thanks to everyone, who has responded. Have learned quite a bit on this forum and in this thread as well. You guys rock!

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Seans right you will always have alight primer strike when every round chambers. Thats just the way it is . Hope it gets you up and running . Remember simple 60 second fix ;)

16. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Did you lube it properly? Ar's like it wet. I had the same type of probem the first time I cleaned it like my AK's and then took it out to fire it. Ever since I lubed it as recommended in the pics, Ive never had a misfire.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

You mention that your pmags function fine on your other guns...If you have another AR, you might want to try swapping the firing pin or bolt to see if still get the same issue. Also wouldn't hurt to compare the pins, I had problem with light primer strikes from a warped firing pin that was a wee bit too short.

18. stag556

stag556 New Member

That's one thing I never knew, very interesting, I just pulled everything apart and made sure that the pin was all the way in and it does move freely when I shake it, but does not fall out. I also made sure there was nothing in the set of where the pin goes in to the bcg. Thanks again. Im going shooting on Sunday and will let you guys know if its fixed. My buddy has the same make and model, would it be a bad idea to try hic bcg in my gun, or is this a no no?

19. stag556

stag556 New Member

Thanks for the diagram I do tend to run my guns dryer than they should that has no been fixed.

20. stag556

stag556 New Member

I will definetly try that, sorry read your post after I posted about switching out. I also have middle aged eyes:( so I will compare the pins and get another set of eyes on it to confirm