Problems cycling with winchester 5.56 rounds

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lifeguardkliff, Sep 16, 2013.

1. lifeguardkliff

lifeguardkliff New Member

Jurist recently finished my first build with an adams arms upper and it seems it will shoot and cycle anything but Winchester 5.56 round an I was wondering if anybody else with a piston system head similar problems

2. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

What buffer and buffer spring do you have? Is it lubed up properly? (Hehe) did you lube the piston itself? What problems are you getting specifically? What other ammo did you use? Did you use a different mag?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Is your upper 5.56 or .223?

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Damn good question.

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

When an AR won't cycle a specific brand or type of ammo, I tend to think they have a .223 barrel, not 5.56, irregardless of how it is labled. The manufacturers that tell you not to use steel ammo usually do so because their barrels are .223. Barrels can be reamed by a competent gunsmith to 5.56. I don't know if it is worth it to you. Just depends on how much you shoot. If it is a new upper that was built by Adams Arms and you have not tinkered with it, it might be a good idea to contact them about the issue and see if they have a warranty.I wouldn't even take off the handguards. Then again, you just may have a batch of bad ammo. Two courses of action you can take:
    1. If you know someone with another upper, try it and see if the ammo will cycle with their upper, so you can at least narrow it down to the upper. If it cycles with their upper, then you have some grounds to tell the people at Adams Arms. If the ammo won't cycle through your buddy's upper, then it is the ammo itself. The gas system , piston or DI, itself doesn't care whether the ammo is steel or brass, and the entire design was intended for various quality ammo, however, you will have some duds in any ammunition.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

what other rounds have you been shooting?

7. sandog

sandog Member

With the .223 and 5.56mm, cartridge dimensions should be the same. And overall length as well, as there are not different magazines for .223 and 5.56mm. The difference between the two lies in the way the chambers are cut, the amount of lead (free bore between the end of chamber and the beginning of the rifling) is greater on the 5.56mm, and the angle of the throat is not as steep on the 5.56 as the .223. These two differences have to do with enhanced reliabilty and reducing pressure being of utmost importance with the 5.56mm , and better accuracy for very small targets like gophers and prairie dogs for the .223. The Wylde chamber came about as a compromise between the two, slightly better accuracy than a 5.56mm chamber, but still able to handle 5.56mm loads without pressure signs.Either round should feed the same, into either chamber. Where there might be a problem, is, on a very hot day, with a tighter than normal chamber, you might raise pressures enough by firing a 5.56mm in a .223 chamber to blow out a primer. The W-W 5.56mm is decent ammo, not really sure why your rifle will feed other types and not W-W. As I said before, even if you only have a .223 chamber, it should feed either round fine, a problem would only occur when firing, and very seldom then, and usually a blown primer.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You do realize a blown out primer is a sign of serious over pressurization. It is inadvisable to use 5.56 in a .223 chambered rifle.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If the box of Winchester ammo is labeled "metric" it is not manufactured by Winchester. The ammo is manufactured by Prvi Partisan or whoever won the Winchester contract this time around.

10. sandog

sandog Member

I do realize that, didn't say I used 5.56mm in a .223 chamber, both of my AR's and my Mini have 5.56mm chambers. Just stating that it should not affect FEEDING regardless of the chamber. Virtually all AR uppers are chambered for 5.56mm, exceptions are models geared for Target / Varmint use for extreme accuracy. However, just because your AR barrel is marked 5.56mm doesn't mean it actually is. Patrick Sweeney tested several dozen AR barrels and a few did not have a true 5.56 mm chamber. To be sure you could take you AR to a competent gunsmith, or buy a .223/5.56mm gauge form Ned Christensen at (www.m-guns.com). It goes for $44 plus shipping. If it drops in, you have a 5.56mm chamber. If not, he sells a 5.56mm reamer for $240, a few twists of the tool and your "semi" 5.56 chamber is now good to go.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  11. sandog

sandog Member

Sorry, Double Post

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

OK. Thanks for clarifying.

13. sandog

sandog Member

The above quote came from my reply before I went to Ned's website. I updated the info on my previous reply,as I forgot to mention the .223/5.56mm gauge ($44) and he says his chamber reamer tool has been improved, lighter and now $240 instead of $300.

14. lifeguardkliff

The upper is chambered in 5.56 and cycles all the other 5.56 I shot but both boxes of Winchester had the same problems it would either not eject a round or it would eject but not pick up the next so I'm going with the assumption that the batch of ammo was bad

15. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

could be a bad magazine as well - did you try others? some of the plastic magazines don't like hollow points

16. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

At the risk of beating a dead dog, did you have the chamber guaged, or are you relying on the markings? Almost all of them are labeled 5.56, but many are not.

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Which Winchester 5.56 loads? Q3131, xm193, m855, US made, Serbian made, Israeli made? There are several varieties of 5.56 made under Winchester's label. They do farm a lot of it out, and import a lot if ammo now.

18. rab

rab New Member

For God's sake! What does it say on the top of the barrel, near the muzzle, or printed on the side of the recvr? There should be a small, 2 or three lined, group of words like "JoesArms, 1/9, 223/5.56cal. You might not have the same. Please tell what yours says....

19. lifeguardkliff

Q3131 just got home and checked it out

Attached Files:

20. lifeguardkliff

Both barrel and receiver say 5.56 adams arms markets it as 5.56 and I just received an email from adams arms stating its 5.56 and it has cycled other 5.56 rounds just fine so that tells me it is chambered in 5.56 but these specific rounds won't cycle I'm not sure why but I'm def not gonna buy anymore of them and at this point I'm ready to just give em to somebody