Problem with Yugo SKS cycling

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Davo45, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

I'm stumped by a Yugo SKS, it has either developed a gas leak or otherwise malfunctioned causing it to have to be manually cycled in order to feed the next round. The bolt doesn't move at all when the round in the chamber is fired.

It is supposed to be set up to fire rifle grenades too if that helps.

2. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Sounds like you got it set for single fire mode, there is a knob that holds down your ladder sight for the grenade launcher. It must be cocked to the left to enable semi-auto mode. With the knob pointing vertical it funnels all the gas to propel the rifle grenade.

You've basically just got the semi-auto function of your rifle turned off

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

3. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

Thanks

Thanks, I'll look to see if the knob's pointing up.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Also, when you remove the gas chamber, run a pipe cleaner down the

gas-inlet hole at the top front of the barrel. Possibly some oil, grease,

or gunk could have blocked the hole, and oops! No cycle.

5. res45

res45 New Member

If the gas selector button is in the correct position and the gas valve and gas port holes are lined up properly the fit between your gas valve and gas tube may be leaking enough to cause cycling issues. A quick way to check that is the SKS gas tube paper clip fix Yugo Gas System Fix If that fixes the problem you probably need a new gas valve,here are a couple options.

SKS Owners

Also make sure the gas tube and piston are clean,the recoil spring assembly is installed correctly. Some of the Russian brands of ammo can at times be slightly underpowered compared to the Yugoslavian X39 ammo the Yugo rifle had fired in them and with the looser tolerances in there gas system you can on occasion get some cycling issues. I had similar issues using some Wolf ammo several years ago when I shoot steel case ammo but the rifle cycled fine with any other brand of ammo steel or brass cased. I installed a new valve and the rest of the Wolf shot fine from that point on.

6. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I had the same issue today with mine. It wouldn't cycle and had to be done manually. When I got it home, I tore it down and cleaned the crap out of it. The gas tube was REALLY dirty, even though I'd cleaned it (well I thought) well after I got it.

Anyway the gas tube piston wouldn't hardly move at all. After I took it out and cleaned the piston and tube, it really moves back and forth VERY easy. I was also told to check the piston to see if it was pitted up. Mine was too bad.

So now I need to go pick up some more ammo and give this puppy another try. I'm hoping that this took care of it. Good luck.

7. sksmerc

sksmerc New Member

i don't know how your sks came i got a yugo and when i got it was covered in gun grease to preserve it. I had to just about let the parts soak in hobbes cleaning oil. first day i thought i cleaned it good enough and had the same problem went back gave it a really good cleaning and it has never failed me favorite rifle.