Problem with scope on ruger 77

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Mick3411, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

I mounted a Bushnell Elite 4200 on my Ruger 77 and just cant get it zerod. It shoots 3 inches low at 25yds no matter how much i adjust elevation. I is about 1.5 inches low at 50. I have adjusted it all the way out and it never changes.

I am using the medium ruger rings that came with the rifle (chambered in 357).

Is this a ring alignment, or a scope or operator problem? Suggestions?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Does the point of impact change when you adjust the elevation dial? If not, then it sounds like scope problem.

Where does the bullet hit at 75 yards, 100 yards, seems like you may already close. :confused:

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have seen scopes put on guns 1/4 turn off so the elevation and windage adjustments were reversed(adjust windage to change elevation). Or could be a bad scope.

4. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Point of impact doesnt change when I move the dial. I started at 25 yds just to get a feel of the scope/rifle and get things close before I went further out. The 25 and 50 are on the same lane at the range so that is why I did those two distances. When I had the problem I saw no reason to go out to go out to 100.

The scope is brand new, would hate for that to be the problem.

5. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

If the POI doesn't change with the POA being changed then I am going to say bad scope. Unless the rings are really out of whack causing the scope tube to put them in a bind.

6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

When scope rings are installed very close to the adjustment turret; sometimes the scope body will get distorted and the scope will not adjust.

7. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

If point of impact doesn't move when you adjust it---it's the scope. Before you
    send it back, check one thing. The Bushnell Elite site says it has "resettable
    windage and elevation adjustments". Sometimes this means you can set the zero
    on the knobs---usually by means of loosening a tiny setscrew that locks the knob to
    the adjustment shaft.

Check to see if it has those microscopic setscrews. If it does---are they tight?

8. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Are you sure you have the right rings? Some Ruger rings won't fit the M77 properly. Also, the rear ring is a little higher than the front ring. That's probably not it, but just a thought.
    ct