Problem with S&W model 59

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Prof, May 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Prof

Prof New Member

Need some advice from experts. I have an old S&W Model 59 that was in the back of my safe, and I wanted to rehab it. It is a little beat up but it seems to shoot well. It is difficult for these older eyes to pick up the sights, but I thought it might make a great truck gun.
    When I shot it, it would shoot in double action first round, of course, then the second round was normal. Then it failed to come back all the way and the gun had to be fired double action again--seemed to alternate every other round. Is the recoil spring too heavy? Not heavy enough? Any suggestions on a fix? I can sell it as a fixer upper, or pitch it. But pretty useless for me right now. Thanks anyone who can help!
    Semper Fi
    Prof

towboater likes this.
  2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

I would try a new spring and see what happens.

I once bought a nasty, dirty FEG Hi Power clone. Took it home and cleaned it up, dang nice blaster for tree-fiddy out the door once I got it where it did not sound like it was full of sand.

Anyway, went the range, cock hammer (SAO gun) squeeze trigger, gun goes bang, casing ejects, new round loads, hammer is cocked, trigger no worky. Did this multiple times. The trigger would not reset.

Went home, installed a new recoil spring. Next trip to the range, my FEG worked perfectly. A worn recoil spring can cause cycling troubles.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    danf_fl likes this.

3. Prof

Prof New Member

4. Prof

Prof New Member

Thank you. I did buy a new recoil spring from Wolf's, but I put it in the package with the old one (the gun was in parts). When I put it together, I couldn't tell which one was the old and which one was the new! I will switch them out and see. Thanks so much for the help--take care!

5. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

You mean the hammer did not reset after the gun cycled? Did it short cycle?

6. Prof

Prof New Member

Fired, in DA, next shot was normal SA, then I had to pull DA again--it alternated. Very strange. The pistol fired each time. Thank you!

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It goes DA, SA, DA???
    It sounds like the either someone tried to do a trigger job in the past and screwed it up, or that there are parts worn and need replacement.

The main function of the recoil spring is to return the slide to battery. Other parts keep the pistol in SA mode when firing. Parts have to work in unison with each other. The main spring keeps pressure on the hammer, another spring works with the disconnecter, etc...

The sear or hammer may be the problem.

A schematic that may help:
    http://www.vivasandson.com/m59.pdf

(As a side note, when you post in the future, please post in only one category. This is also listed in the S&W portion of the forum.)

8. Prof

Prof New Member

Thank you. replaced springs, mainspring and recoil spring, same problem. I will look at replacing or upgrading parts, If I get really frustrated, I'll just chuck it. Thank you all who have helped.

danf_fl likes this.
  9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

10. Prof

Prof New Member

Thank you all again. I sold the pistol (much to my disappointment) as a project gun on GunBroker. I owned this pistol for some time, and my brother had it for 15 years, but took it apart and couldn't get it together again. I never had these problems before that. So I may have goofed on assembly, or something is worn. so much for my tractor gun. Lesson learned: never loan firearms out no matter how 'unprotected' your family or friends might feel without one!
    Again, thank you for all the advice. Everyone stay safe. Semper Fi!