Problem with new Bersa Thunder .380

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by pvanosta, May 8, 2011.

1. pvanosta

pvanosta New Member

I just bought a new Bersa Thunder .380 for my girlfriend.
    We are in California, so there was the usual 10-day wait.
    Picked up he gun yesterday and put the first 100 rounds through it.

I have failure-to-feed issues 80% of the time.

I only used factory ball ammo (American Eagle). 4 out of 5 times, the slide would stay open afer every shot, forcing me to cycle the slide (pull it back the little bit more of the travel left in it and then let go) and a round would chamber. Fire. Same thing would happen again.

The gun is obviously under warranty, but shipping it etc. would be a pain in the a$$ and I'd rather avoid it.

Have any other Bersa Thunder users experienced anything like this?
    The gun store / gun range does not have an on-site gunsmith and was little help other than to confirm I had a problem.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Break it down, clean it, inspect it and oil it. Then try again. try a different ammo maybe.
    Did you clean and oil it before shooting it?

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I had this issue and I did have to send it in. They throated the barrel's chamber and polished it and the feed ramp.

4. pvanosta

pvanosta New Member

Thank you for the quick responses.
    1. I checked the gun prior to shooting and it seemed oiled/lubricated. I did not clean or lube it myself.
    2. Mesinge: do you recall who you contacted before sending it in? Did they provide a shipping form or an RMA number?

5. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Packing oil shouldnt be considered "oiled and lubed." That stuff is a thick crud to keep it from corrosion. I always make it a rule, I NEVER fire a gun until I know I have cleaned it. And if I dont shoot it, I clean them all once a month despite if its been shot or not. Just my two cents.

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Colorado Gunworks is one of their warrenty centers.
    I had a one week turn-around. 1-970-482-4867

Here the letter I sent them along with the Gun:

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  7. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

Make sure your grip isn't the issue before sending it anywhere. A friend of mine bought a new compact 9mm and couldn't get more than two rounds through it with out a jam, me and another shooter didn't have a problem emptying the mag. The owner was making contact with the slide stop causing the slide to lock open.

8. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Yes, cleaning a Bersa prior to shooting is very important. It's usually loaded with shipping grease. Clean it well and try again before sending it in for work.

9. group17

group17 New Member

What ammo are you shooting? Change to another brand of FMJ and see if it makes a difference. Do not use russian steel case.

Have you stripped it down to clean it before shooting? Have to remove shipping grease in the gun.

Did you also clean out the mag? The mag has shipping gunk in it as well as the gun.

If you took the slide off did you put the spring back on in the same direction as you took it off. The spring has a narrower end.

10. pvanosta

pvanosta New Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I shot two brands of factory FMJ ball ammo. One was American Eagle and I forgot what the other one was.

I have since then thoroughly cleaned and lubed the gun and will be trying it again with the second mag and different kinds of ammo.

11. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

None of my bersas have ever jammed. Like they said clean and lube and it may just solve the problem.

12. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

It is my understanding that since the ascent of Obama to the presidency, a rush to purchase affordable firearms soared, namely the Bersa Thunder 380's. This mass demand on Argentina firearm manufactors compelled the company to mass produce at an alarming pace to meet the demands. However, in the process quality of workmanship were overun by enormous orders of quantity.

13. gschnarr

gschnarr New Member

That is not my understanding. With a few of my friends and myself getting the BT380, I have seen none of the "overrun". With the Bersa's and most imported weapons, the preservative used at the factory needs to be removed for proper functioning. This is critical. That stuff can gunk up a tank. Clean it will with CLP or any other good cleaner.

As with any mechanical device, there will always be some that fail. Bersa does back up their products. Seeing that it was just purchased, often the LGS will send it back for you or help.

With my two BT380s, my wife's had over 2500 and mine over 2000 without any problems other then when I dropped a mag and bent the lip. User error. Let us know how it comes out. For more warrantee questions, you might try Bersa Chat Forum

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If it does need to be returned, take it back where you bought it. Any reputable dealer will return it for you at no charge if you bought it from him. Dealers can also ship for a lot less then an individual can as they can use the US Postal service instead of Fedex overnight. When my 19 year old Taurus broke, a local dealer shipped it for me at his cost which was about 1/5th of Fedex.

15. opaww

opaww New Member

I have had no problems with my BT380, it worked well right out of the box.

16. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

It appears, again, as before, an updated review had been added to link (below) regarding previous statement about Quality Control on BT380.
    Kindly check out link.

Bersa Thunder .380 Handgun Review

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  17. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

A couple of things.
    You never answered the first question-did you clean it before you fired it?
    If not, that might have been the problem. If you did and it still ftf"d or jammed, did you check the mags?
    As for the review, I can't put much stock in a gun review when I don't know who posted it or what his qualifications are.
    Just sayin'
    Keep us posted.