Problem with ithaca model 37

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by pe175, Mar 18, 2012.

1. pe175

pe175 New Member

Im having a problem in which the rounds will not stay in the magazine tube. This only happens with some shells. Does this sound like wear on the gun, or maybe modern rounds don't have enough brass for the two bars on the bottom to grab on to? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I have had several model 37's over the years. Most of them have been ok, but some of them definitely had problems. Sounds like the cartridge stop on yours is worn. It probably needs to be replaced. If the gun is old enough to have this kind of wear, there is probably wear on other parts also that may need replacing. Check where the action bar attaches to the forearm. I have had several of them break there after lots of use.
    cottontop

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You have a shell stop, spring, and retaining screw. Likely a part is loose, dirty, worn or broken.

Look around about part # 18. Rather than have to add to your store of profanity, instead of trying to take it down yourself, get a smith to check it over.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=12440

4. pe175

pe175 New Member

Thank you very much. It's definitely an older version because it's my grandfathers.

5. southpaw 02

southpaw 02 New Member

+1 on what c3shooter said. If you do decide to take her apart. and I can't stress this enough. Take the stock off first!

6. ruddy

ruddy New Member

+1 and Amen!