problem with 30-06

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JPB, Apr 26, 2011.

1. JPB

JPB New Member

I went to check zero, on a couple rifles yesterday, and my 30-06 wont chamber a round. The bolt is about 1/8th of an inch from being forward all the way.

The bolt will close when not trying to chamber a cartridge.

Im confused. I used the rifle alot last year with no problems.

I recently had the stock off to open the forend a bit and bedded it.

I cannot figure out what is wrong. The chamber and action are clean.

If i take out the bolt and drop a round in the chamber, and apply pressure with my finger though the bottom, the cartridge refuses to seat properly....

The rifle is a savage if that helps.

TKS
    JPB

2. Bohica6-284

Bohica6-284 New Member

The rounds your trying to chamber are not loaded correctly. They could have too much OAL. Overall length. Are there marks from the rifling on the nose of the bullet from trying to chamber it? Are these reloads or factory ammo? I suggest you try different ammo and if that solves the problem discard that other ammo.

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

^^^This^^^

Try different ammo first and make sure you're using the correct ammo..
    If that doesn't work then it's time for a trip to the gunsmith.

4. chainsaw

chainsaw New Member

Also look to see if there is a case neck separated and stuck in the chamber.Like above,try a factory rd in it.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah, if your trying hand/reloads than you need to try a factory spec round.

If that does not work than you have an obstruction in your chamber or some sneaky SOB swapped barrels on you when you werent looking. ;)

JD

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Being a Savage,Did you take the scope and bases off the action and then reinstall them?
    If so,check the base screws,if you put the screws in a different hole,they might be a little long and hitting the locking lug on the bolt.

If you are shooting reloads,your cases could be out of spec or the OAL of the cartridge is too long.
    Full length size the brass and make sure the case length is within spec,especially if it is brass fired from another rifle.

7. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Scope screws shouldn't be the problem the action closes without a round

8. JPB

JPB New Member

Srry I failed to mention above, but this is with factory ammo, and I did try a few different brands, all with same result. Also, the XP3s I tried was from the same box I used last year. Nope, no marks on cartridge after trying to load it.

Is it possible that bedding compound got around the barrel nut, because with the Savage Edge/Axis the recoil lug is bedded right into the stock, the barrel nut is notched, with the threads of the barrel are visible on the bottom????

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  9. eaglesnester

eaglesnester New Member

Can not chamber a round

Remove the action from the stock. Try to chamber a factory round. You will know how to go from there.

10. Bohica6-284

Bohica6-284 New Member

Check to be sure your extractor and ejector are moving freely and not seized by debris or rust. Use a drop of oil on each and use a pen or something to make sure they are free.

11. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Ditto that

12. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Try chambering a spent round. Are you putting the round into the mag or just pusning it in off the top of the mag? Some rifles will only chamber from the mag and others you can just lay it in the action and chamber it.

13. JPB

JPB New Member

I have tried it in and out of the stock (thought it might be action screws), but with same result.

Also the extractor and ejector are fine no problems there.

I will try puting in a spent cartridge in tonight, and I have loaded it both ways in the past but will give it another shot from a mag :).

TKS
    JPB

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  14. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member