problem solved

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by mountainman13, Sep 4, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

This damn knife refuses to stop rusting. I've soaked it in clp and still it rusts. I'm fed up with it so I did this.
    Wasn't interested in a perfect finish. Just slapped a coat on it to see if it helps.
    Anyway Here's before and after.

Attached Files:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's tough to tell from the pics but I cold blued the damn thing. It'll likely darken a bit and I'll post more pics.

3. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Any idea why it wouldn't stop rusting?

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Gotta be the type of steel and the way it was forged. No clue on what it is made of but it is supposed to be hand forged.

5. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Ahh I see. Did you buy it second hand?

It looks a lot smoother now. I like the handle on it too. Nice knife.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I purchased it simply for the fact that it was Abenaki made. It's a great knife Aside from the rusting. Hopefully that issue will be inhibited now.

7. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Is it rusting, or just developing a patina. Most . . . all . . . carbon blades will develop some discoloration with use -- some people even deliberately try to develop one by methods like soaking the blade in vinegar. The patina will help protect the knife from rust.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Oh It's rust. Minor pitting and you can scrape it off with a finger nail. It wasn't pleasant to notice it after I ate a piece of rusty stake off of it.