problem or just normal?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by old fart, Nov 11, 2017.

1. old fart

old fart Member

i got a new maverick 88 field 28" barrel, i loaded it up and when i tried to unload i noticed the action lock lever wasn't down as much as it should have been and i almost didn't get the action open. it finally opened but the elevator wouldn't go all the way down unless i came back on the forearm with a good tug. i noticed the gun was extremely tight in pumping. i got in the house and started pumping it back and forth at least 30 or more times. it loosed up some and the action lever seems ok now if i use good force to unload and load as does the elevator. it still tho has a small glitch, when i bring the bolt all the way back and stop, then try to bring it forward it seems to catch and i have to really push it forward for it to go. if i just do it fast back and forth without stopping it works good. do i have a problem?, shouldn't it be smoother? why do i have to use moderate force to just cycle it. i am not a newbie to guns. owned them for over 35yrs, owned a maverick 88 just over a year ago, hunted last year with it. it was much looser and smoother and i bought it new. thanks for any help you can give me.

2. old fart

old fart Member

i am still cycling it but it feels like its still trying to stick a little and not be smooth.

3. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Active Member

It should smooth out a great deal with use.

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Dumb question, but have you taken it down, cleaned it, and oiled it yet? Factory sea;er\shipping lube can make them feel like they are hanging up.

Clean it, oil it with a good oil (Mobil 1, 0 W-20 is my own choice), and take it out and put about 100 rounds through it. That should clear it up. It took about that many rounds to loosen mine up, 27 years ago, but it was fine after that.

One day of time at the skeet league did wonders for that shotgun.

While you have it apart, check over the parts for burrs and rough spots. That might also be part of the problem. If it doesn't clear up wirhin a couple hundred rounds, contact Mossberg, and let them know what's going on.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  5. old fart

old fart Member

sprayed it out with cleaner then lubed. i did not disasemble it, don't trust myself to take it down too far.
    '

6. kfox75

It's a 1 tool process, pretty simple really. this should help.

7. old fart

old fart Member

ok, i have finally done a complete clean out, there were some brown stuff and metalic looking thick stuff in it. i cycled it and it is better but still a little stiff, i noticed however that if i cycle it fast its fine or slow with good force it works fine, just when i go slow and easy that it sticks a little. of all the cheap shotguns i have owned this is the first one that is this tight, i guess that could be good but i don't shoot much and it may take a while to break in. i hope i have fixed it, time will tell. thanks

8. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

most all pump shotguns need to be cycled with authority! they are not meant to be cycled gently. keep it cleaned and lubed, and run lots of shells through it and it will smooth out.

and on side note, the Maverick shotguns are not cheap shotguns. they are well made inexpensive shotguns. there is huge difference between cheap, and inexpensive.

my current Maverick 88 is probably identical to yours, and has had a few thousand shells ran through it over the years. still works great, and is pretty smooth.

jigs-n-fixture, old fart and kfox75 like this.
  9. kfox75

Mine was just the same way as OF's when I got it. A couple weeks of Skeet league, and it was pretty much broken in. Had it for close to 17 years, with only one problem when i had it.

Mine was one of the easrly, single action bar M88s, so the fore end would roll sometimes when it was cycled. After about 3,000 or so rounds, over a 3 year period, it began to hang up when cycled. First only if it was slow cycled, then even on fast cycles.

Took it down, stoned the action bar, replaced the rivet with a tighter one, and reblued the bar. Problem free for the rest of the time I had it after that.

Only other issue was the firing pin sticking when the friend's son I passed it on to let a bit too much oil on the bolt, after the end of season cleaning, and some hard primers on my hand loads. Cleaned the bolt, reoiled, and put it back in, problem free after that. Also switched to a different brand of primers at that point.

And yes, I too cringe at the words "Cheap" and "Gun" in the same sentence with some makes and models. The M88 is but one of them, and it is just the way Olaf intended his company's products to be sold. mossberg has always been a More for your money type company, with firearms made for the common man, that hold up just as well as any premium brand does, and better than some premium brands do.

old fart and Dallas53 like this.
  10. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

This is why you shop scour pawn shops for used Wingmasters. Not that I have that off my chest is the brown stuff rust or factory grease? If it is greasy use something Hoppes Brake-Free and remove all the gun. The factory grease is allmost as bad as cosmoline for gumming stuff up.

Dallas53 likes this.
  11. Dallas53

new or used, i do a tear-down and cleaning, then lube everything with a quality gun oil, or grease if the parts require it. most times with brand new guns, they are coated with some type of oil to prevent rust issues during shipping and storage until they are sold. it usually is not sufficient for use under normal conditions. it usually isn't a proper oil for continued sliding and movement of operating parts, but simply to help prevent rust from developing.

kfox75 likes this.
  12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Cheap used to be defined as: shoddy, of poor finish, quality or utility, and thus low in cost. But, so many people misused it,when they actually meant inexpensive, the modern dictionaries are loosing the distinction and they are becoming synonymous.

kfox75 and Dallas53 like this.
  13. harkersislandnc

I do a tear down with any new gun I buy. That said most of the guns I buy are used and are generally free of shipping grease.

kfox75 likes this.
  14. harkersislandnc

True and I understand why folks buy cheap shotguns. The modern ones are generally reliable and get the job done. That said I encourage folks to poke around pawn shops/the used corner of the gunshop or online. It makes no sense to me to buy a $185 Maverick when I can get a used Remington 870 Wingmaster/Ithaca Mdl 37 etc for close to the same price. If you do your research there are a lot of deals out there. Granted I spend a lot of my spare time trading and am admittedly a nut over a Wingmaster.

locutus and Dallas53 like this.
  15. Dallas53

i agree with you to an extent. there can be some great deals on used older shotguns if one does a little bit of hunting them down. and you might find the rare deal on some of them for the price of a new Maverick 88, but those deals are not going to be common, or happen all the time. but a person can walk into just about any guns store, buy, or order a brand new Maverick 88 shotgun for usually under $200. yes, i'd buy a used Wingmaster for $200 all day long over a new Maverick, any day of the week.

but in all honesty, the Maverick is a well made, solid performing shotgun for the price. they are worth the money IMO. they are an exceptional value for the quality one gets for the money they spend.

kfox75 likes this.
  16. harkersislandnc

True but I generally see used Wingmasters in decent condition starting at $275. Granted it is a bit more pricey but IMHO well worth the money. Granted they are generally 12 gauge and have obvious wear but are very sound guns. Keep in mind I am somewhat of a whore for them.

kfox75 and Dallas53 like this.
  17. Dallas53

i think we are both pretty much on the same page!

most of the older Wingmasters i run across are usually about twice that.

kfox75 likes this.
  18. kfox75

Pretty much my take on it as well, except for the fact of my location. Firearms in Erie run a bit more than some other places, and on finding an Ithaca 37 for a Maverick price, that just don't happen here.

Given they were a western NY brand, they tend to cost over $400, even for one with a lot of wear, and the market sets that price. Folks will pay it, so that's what they go for.

OTOH, I can find model 12 Winchesters here for around $225, all day long at the shops outside of the city. Wingmasters go about what harker is finding them for where he's at.

And yes, if I found one for a less than $100 difference, I would go that route, rather than an M88. I already went to an 870 Express back in 2006, as my M88 didn't fit right as a lefty, after so many years shooting right handed. Short stature, small hands, and a thicker grip section on the stock, keeps me from buying another one any time soon.

Still have the wife's 500, my old 590, and the HS410, as well as more than a few other pump guns, including a pair of Mossberg 200s.

Dallas53 likes this.
  19. harkersislandnc

It is funny how location dictates gun prices. A clean Mdl 12 is rare here due to the fact most were beat to death duck hunting. I very rarely see one for less the $450. For some reason Ithacas never really caught on down here so while rare they are generally in the $200 range (folks don't know what they have).

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I never did understand the appeal of pump guns when a good semi-auto can be had for a few hundred dollars more.:confused: