Problem adjusting AK-47 front sight

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by RufusTFirefly, Mar 10, 2012.

1. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

I have a pre-ban "56S" AK-47 with a very stubborn front sight. I do have the proper sight adjusting tool, but the sucker will not move. It's not rusted, and just for grins, I even applied a little penetrating oil - still no budge, no matter how much force I apply to the tool. There doesn't appear to be a locking screw anywhere...what am I missing??? :confused:

Rufus

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Halt, hammer time! ;)

No there's no locking screw, it's probably just stuck. You might want to try tapping it with a hammer, use force within reason.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Might try a hair dryer to about 3 minutes, followed by the sight tool. Heated metal expands, maybe just enough to move.

4. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

c3... I might try that, but wouldn't that just expand everything? both the male and female parts? Just how much force is "normal" for these things?
    Aleksi... I have tried that with a drift and a hammer. Didn't budge. I hate hammering on things without proper jigs or fixtures...

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If you heat everything long enough, it all expands. But for a short period the outer part expands before the inner gets hot.

6. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Okay... so what I'm getting so far is this:

1. the sight should be moving
    2. and there are no locking setscrews that need loosening.

7. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

I was finally able to get the sight to move. It took several good whacks with a punch and hammer.
    Everything's good now...

Thanks