Probably Not Important, but.............

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by avordman, Feb 14, 2011.

1. avordman

avordman New Member

Maybe I've spent too much of my life playing with firearms and/or maybe I spent too many years in the military running armories and firing ranges. OR maybe I am getting too cynical and too crotchety in my old age (I hope not), but some things really irk me these days. Bear with me.

I am a stickler for terminology (probably that military thing). If we are going to use, work on, and love firearms, shouldn't we show some semblance of knowledge. Has anyone ever seen a 7.62X52 NATO round? No, because there is only a 7.62 NATO round which is in all cases 51mm long. The same thing goes for the 5.56. There is no NATO round other than the 5.56 NATO which is 45mm in length. There damn sure isn't any such thing as a .223 NATO. AND the 7.62 NATO is not the same as a .308 Winchester round, nor is a 5.56 NATO round the same as a .223 Remington. I know, I know, in most cases they will both fit in either chamber. How would you like for someone to say that you slept with your sister? She's female just like your wife or girlfriend (I know that comment was gender specific and possibly crude, so shoot me). That doesn't make them the same does it?

People, both professionals and people who are in this for enjoyment, constantly use these terms interchangeably. In my eyes a person who points to a Taurus pistol that shoots .45 ACP ammo and calls it a 1911 is showing his or her ignorance. And it's not just the nimrods and rookies. You see it on many websites, such as Cabela's, Cheaper than Dirt, and Midway to name a few. I'm sorry, but it just trips my trigger (pun intended).

Okay, I have vented long enough. I feel better. Thanks for listening and I'd love to hear your all’s opinions.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Thanks for sharing. ;)

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Yep. You are gonna fit in just fine around here.:D

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Glad we could help you feel better. :)

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You came out of the woodwork with that one but I agree 100%. I think you'll be just fine around this forum.

6. Car54

Car54 New Member

Quote: How would you like for someone to say that you slept with your sister? She's female just like your wife or girlfriend (I know that comment was gender specific and possibly crude, so shoot me). That doesn't make them the same does it?

It does on Jerry Springer every once in a while.

Just kidding, I know what you are saying, some get riled when a mag is called a clip. Just shrug it off and if you can or want to without knocking the person down a peg, show or tell them what is correct.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Early on in my membership here, I was using an incorrect term. I was very politely corrected here on the open forum. I was a little embarrassed, not at the correction but at the wrong terminology I was using. I was very thankful to be politely corrected. I am definitely here to learn. If you have knowledge to share, I hope you do. Be careful not to hurt feelings and I've also been corrected through PM's, which I don't mind either.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Then there is whole field of things like muzzle breaks (Really? How did you break it?) and M1 Grands.

They are just the poppy seed under the dentures of life. Not really important, just irritating as all get out.

PS- If we have to shoot you, could we use an Endfield? :p

9. Car54

Car54 New Member

or a .357 magnet?

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I think the problem lends itself to sounding like a complete *** to be perfectly honest.

'Answer to question posed' and oh, BTW, they are called magazines, not clips'

Well great, now the new person is a bit embarassed at having used the wrong term and you rubbed their nose in it.

Some people can't type, some can't spell, some can't compose sentences or paragraphs, some are still learning the craft and terminology of small arms.

The only real differences are in one case you might be more inclined to mention it because this is a firearm's board.

If it can be constructive and helpful, that is great. If it's proposed from a position of superiority or all knowing knowledge, I think that leads down a much darker path....

JD

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Folks generally fall into two camps, those that aren't sure or mistaken and post something wrong; and those that know everything and post something wrong.

The first group will generally receive advice & guidance where the second group will generally be thumped pretty hard. Aspiring to be a teacher or mentor is a real good, being a total jerk just out to slam someone isn't so good. We all choose the path we take...

12. oneeyedmac

oneeyedmac New Member

A pet peeve is nothing a valium or two won't take care of....

13. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I have been belittled on this forum by one person particularly for improper nomenclature on more than one occasion. It accompilshes 2 things: it educates me and it makes him look like an ***. Not for correcting me but for the way it was done. I'm here to learn and don't mind being corrected but I'm not a "Maggot" or an "Idiot" I am a fellow gun enthusiest that may or may not know as much as the next guy. If someone knows more than I do about a certain subject, chances are that is why I join the discussion. If someone asks for info that I can give' I offer it. If they want an opinion I might give mine. Just remember opinions are like A-holes-everyone has one.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  14. m72law

m72law New Member

In ''REAL''1911's...we trust

15. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

But I DO shoot a Taurus 1911. I don't have any Smith & Westons though.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Well said. (Unless I was the one who belittled you, in which case ignore this...)

17. powg

powg New Member

My only ''peeve''

I don't let alot get to me ....but . GUN grabber stats ....this pisses me off. Case in point #1 Child deaths attributed to gun violence. The public mindset envisions an innocent small child ....in reality it was 17yr old gangbanging drug dealer that got what was his /her due. #2 Bull s**t stats on assault weapons .....weapon of choice ,police out-gunned ,no sporting use ,clips, mags ,bears ohh my! ...and it goes on and on. :mad:

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Powg- I must disagree. I went thru one of those "child death from firearms" reports, and noted that the claimed number of deaths exceeded the TOTAL deaths of children from ALL causes- started digging- Oh..... seems the "researchers" listed as children all persons TWENTY SIX YEARS OF AGE- and under. They also included in their death tally the rapist shot by his victim, the armed robber shooting at- and shot by- police.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

19. russ

russ New Member

The only time I get really irritated at the nomenclature thing is when someone is spouting off like a know-it-all and gets things wrong. If it's a new person with a willingness to learn then I'm happy to offer constructive criticism, if indeed I have any more knowledge than the person asking the question.

Also, this is one reason I proofread my posts before I hit "Submit" most of the time, and one reason I use Firefox (built in spell check - also a pet peeve of mine) or iespell in Internet Explorer. I grew up with pencil and paper and get really irritated when someone is too lazy to use decent spelling, grammar, and punctuation. [/end rant]

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My pet peeve along this line extends to the M1A, and conflicting claims that

it's .308, sometimes, and then "762 NATO" or 762X51mm other times.

Which is it? Because while you can chamber them both and fire them both from a .308, the NATO round is slightly different, smaller, IIRC, and has different, lower, reloading and pressure specs.

So, I'm given to understand that while it's do-able, it's not wise to fire a .308 in an M-14, while it's supposedly OK to use 762X51mm in an M1A, even though it's chambered for 308.

Or has the 308 round been so badly confused with the 762 NATO that in reality
    the M1A is actually chambered for 762, and marketers are merely lying to increase sales?

Clip,clip,clip,clip,clip,ARRGHH!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011