Pro & cons of deer hunting with AR15 and red dot scope

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Dearhunter, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I made my first deer hunt last week using my S&W MP 15. with Vortex Strikefire red dot scope.
    Sat in my tree stand and had fun with the deer. Doe's, fork horns, spikes, small 6 pointer racks was about it on stand. Whenever a deer would come out of the thick woods where I could get a shot, I placed the red dot on them to check out what it is like. It is amazing, using both eyes open, it looks like a bright balloon floating in the air. Some came within 15 yards of me. Two Doe's at different times, jerked their heads and looked up at me. Of course I was frozen and did not move, they eventually put there heads down and trotted off (no tail up). It was when I took down the AR and stood it between my legs angled outward that I noticed the problem. The front glass of the strikefire is like a mirror and reflects light greatly. The deer spotted the reflection.
    Tonight, I ordered the strikefire flash-killer for the front of the scope.
    BTW, I was whitetail trophy hunting, that is why I did not shoot the deer I saw. Plenty of time till Jan 1 for meat.

IMG_0369_resized.jpg

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Sounds like a blast! What loads were you using?

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

When I saw your pic the first thought I had was "tree ninja".

4. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Hornady 5.56 62 gr.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I put a red dot on my Marlin 336 for use in the swampy woods in SE Georgia. IT was fast on target, and most deer were only really visible inside of 75 yds. Seemed like a good woods set-up.