Privatized Prison System

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Shooter, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

A topic I've been researching extensively yet very few know about is the privatization of the prison system here in the US. Under the guise of a cheaper prison solution for taxpayers our Government has been slowly farming out our prison population to privately own and ran prisons.

What are your thoughts on corporations taking over our prison system.

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Can't be much worse than privatizing our wars.

3. rickrem700

rickrem700 New Member

Prisons

Are you saying I can own my own prison?

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Granted, there is nothing efficient or particularly intelligent about the way government (at any level) does things. But privatizing prisons is not a good idea.

A couple better ideas are meting out proper punishments for crimes, and reintroducing the concept of prison being a very bad place to be. No TV. No gym equipment. Hard labor. Lousy food. It's nearly impossible to get yourself executed, but many crimes call for it. Rapes, hurting kids, murder, attempted murder all should result in a dead perpetrator, IMHO. Prison should be a deterrent, not a right of passage.

Of course, the problem with these ideas is trial lawyers and bleeding heart morons on the outside.

5. Tilt

Tilt New Member

The county jail here has been like that for about 8 years now. The prisons up the road are still state run as of right now.

6. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

It would be great if run like Maricopa Co. Ariz. with overruns
    getting to live in tent city when not working on the chain gang!

7. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

"Under the guise of a cheaper prison solution for taxpayers our Government has been slowly farming out our prison population to privately own and ran prisons."

Yes, and there are some real horror stories. Recently a private prison in OK that housed convicts from another state was drowned in a prisoner abuse scandal. The state whose convicts the prison housed took them back.

There is a private prison in Lawton, OK. They are about two-thirds staffed and always have help wanted ads in the papers. That prison pays the munificent sum of $10 per hour. The Lawton city council wanted that prison so bad that they annexed a narrow strip about 2 miles long to get it within the city limits after the county commissioners said that they did not want that prison.

8. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

It just seems like an absolutely horrible idea allowing corporations to house prisoners. The Government is so good at spinning things with "it will save tax money" and the public eats it up. I just think it's a step in a very bad direction for our Nation.

9. moviezombie

moviezombie New Member

just another instance of the corporatization of the US.

movie zombie

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Personally I think that we should do away with most of or prisons. If any person is sentenced to more that 20 years they should just be excuted. Any person in person who has more than 20 years left should be exucted. Why should the people of this country spend $40,000 a year or more in so cases to lock up a person that will never add anything to the good of the country. If we kill an inocent person he will just get out of this misiberal existance and to heaven faster.