Private seller to ffl

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by chewiewhee, Oct 26, 2012.

1. chewiewhee

chewiewhee New Member

I am a ffl. A friend bought a rifle on gunbroker from a private seller. Can the private seller mail it to me or does he have to take it to a ffl to mail it to me? The seller is out of state.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A signed copy of your FFL should be sent to the seller so they have info who to send it to.

Seller then can send to you without going through an FFL at his end.

3. chewiewhee

chewiewhee New Member

Thats what i thought, thanks

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

The ATF does say not to send a copy to unlicensed individuals. I give private sellers my first two and last 5 and have them look it up on fflezcheck.

5. chewiewhee

chewiewhee New Member

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And yes, he CAN use US Mail for a rifle or shotgun (but not a handgun- only Dealers and Manufacturers can MAIL a handgun- everyone else, UPS or FedEx)

The shipper should enclose a copy of his driver's license so YOU have the info to enter in your bound book or acquisitions and dispositions.

7. chewiewhee

chewiewhee New Member

Thanks, didnt think of that

8. FFL01user

FFL01user Member

The first three (not two) and last five are needed to verify a FFL using fflezcheck. Where does it say that a FFL should not send a copy of his/her license to a non licensee?

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

That's what I meant...my bad.

10. FFL01user

FFL01user Member

Where does it say this?

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

It came out in the November 2008 newsletter. It is just a suggestion, but I think it's a good one. They don't have an A&D book so what would be the need for a copy of the license when given the fflezcheck and the first 3 and last five can give them the info needed.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  12. FFL01user

FFL01user Member

I don't see how having an A+D book matters. It's a matter of record keeping if one is a licensee or not.
    The Nov. '08 newsletter does have a section titled "PROVIDING COPIES OF FEDERAL LICENSEES (sic) TO UNLICENSED PERSONS" but it doesn't talk to a licensee providing a non licensee with a copy of his/her license. It states the process for a non licensee buying a firearm and having it transferred between licensees.
    I personally wouldn't, but I've seen dealers who post their FFL's online, available for downlaod, so persons can use it to have firearms transferred to that dealer. An FFL copy is only good for shipping firearms to the address on it.

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

That's part of the reason someone needs a FFL Copy is for the A&D if shipping a firearm. As a FFL you just have to verify it's an active FFL if you're receiving a firearm there is no requirement to keep a copy of an FFL if you a receiving a firearm (although it's a good idea). Also there are cases where you can ship to a different address if there is a mailing and shipping address. I belong to a FFL forum where all this stuff is posted if you want to check it out PM me.

Here is what the letter says: A person not licensed under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), and not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm, in-state, if an arrangement is made with a Federal firearms licensee in the purchaser’s State of residence. A firearm may be transferred to the in-state licensee, who then completes the transfer to the unlicensed person, also completing the ATF Form 4473 and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) national Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) requirements.
    Section 27 CFR 478.94 requires licensees to verify the identity and licensed status prior to transferring a firearm to a person who states they are licensed to receive it. Verification shall be established by the transferee furnishing to the transferor a certified copy of the transferee’s license and by such other means as the transferor deems necessary…” This section does not apply to transfers between a licensee and an unlicensed person

As I said though it's more of a recommendation than a requirement though.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  14. COF

COF New Member

silverado 113. Can you send me the link to the FFL forum? It says your message box is full.. Cant send PM.

thanks Mike