Private sales

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by longunner, Jun 22, 2012.

1. longunner

longunner New Member

I didn't really know which thread to put this in but how would one go about buying a gun from someone...say they were selling it at a yard sale or something what would you have to do to register it in your name and such??

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Depends on your state but I'm always a fan of CYA=cover your a$$ so bill of sale at a minimum. Some states require a permit for private transactions, some don't require anything, some require a NICS/State check, etc. Where are you?

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The process would be determined by the laws in your state and local municipality and could be different for handguns and rifles. It will be different if one party is a non-resident of the state in which the gun resides.

4. longunner

longunner New Member

I'm in New York state which sucks...but I wouldn't be looking to buy a pistol only long guns for this guy.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First- Federal alw- if buying from a NON-DEALER- you can only buy a firearm from another resident of your state. Handgun OR long gun. Second, state law- as the guys already said. Most states do not have registration of ordinary firearms- some do- and registration (if any) is handled at state level.

At a minimum- Bill of sale. Does not have to be complicated- two copies, what gun, what SN, when, from who at what address, to who at what address. Each signs both copies, each keeps one copy.

If someone is not willing to share their name and address, keep walking. After wiping your fingerprints off any gun you handled.