Private sale of firearms?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by sleeper, Jan 16, 2014.

1. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Would like to make a sale to a co-worker of a handgun. As this is my first time selling a firearm privately I just want to make sure everything is done correct. I live in TN as does the purchaser. Should I do a bill of sale? If there any required or suggested actions I should take?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't hurt.

3. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

In consideration I hereby transfer full ownership of one rifle/handgun, model, serial # to (name of buyer) on this date ________.

signed___________________ seller.

signed___________________ buyer

make sure all copies are signed by both parties and Keep one copy for your records

4. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

I always do a bill of sale........

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

6. vincent

vincent New Member

IANAL-Any CYA move is a good one...

Follow your states' laws...

Unless my transaction is with a family member I always have a local FFL do the paperwork and the buyer pays the transfer fee...

Cover Your Ass!!! :cool:

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

A bill of sale won't hurt. It is in your best interest and to protect you.

You can always find blank examples on the web. Save/Copy and print one and both sign with the firearm description and S/N.

Always check both seller and buyer state(s) laws before transferring firearms. I'm sure you would hate to lose any privileges over a silly mistake.

8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I always do the minimum needed in my State (VA)
    Ask the man if he is a resident of my state and check ID.

I NEVER involve a FFL and refuse to buy a gun if the seller insists .. I see no need to have too may 4473's floating out there alerting the .gov how many firearms I have.

And in general the less data they have the better.

Thats why I pefer to buy and sell private party in state. (out of state always needs FFL)

9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Why don't you check the laws in TN to see if there are any laws you're not aware of.

10. sleeper

sleeper New Member

I have checked the TN laws and nothing is required as long as both parties live within the state. I was more looking for suggestions and examples of possible paperwork. Thanks to those who helped me out.

11. RUT

RUT New Member Supporter

Same here.......

12. cllowe

cllowe New Member

TN requires only both parties to live in state and neither be a felon. Can't hurt to do a bill just to cover your tail.

13. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Did the sale yesterday and a bill of sale, process was smooth and the buyer was cool with presenting a TN drivers license as proof of residence. I think we both walked away happy. Thanks for all the advice.