Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is your opinion on Prismatic Red Dot sights?

I am looking at the Sig Sauer Bravo3 3x24mm Battle Red Dot Sight (and others) to possibly replace a Sig Romeo5 red dot.
Just to see the target a bit better at 50/100 yards and address the occasional astigmatism.

Registered
I have an astigmatism. I still prefer a red dot though it looks a bit more like a comma to me.

That said if that bothers you prism sights arent affected by astigmatim.

Just a suggestion you might check out Vortex. More optic with more features , tough as nails and less money .

Premium Member
I wish i could find a red dot with like a 1.25 x magnification. Just enough to clear up the astigmatism, but not really enough to mess with eye relief.
I have flip over magnifiers right now so i can pick.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, eye relief could be a problem.
I鈥檓 still weighing in on the benefits of prism optics, but a 3x magnification is something I could use.

Premium Member
The 1X prisms are not quite 1X and should have enough diopter adjustment for your astigmatism. I have a couple 1-6X24 scopes and do not have to use glasses. Try before you buy.
I have a 3X prism and not really fond of it. It does work for distance but close in is slower. I don't shoot it enough to get proficient with it. The reticle is visible with power off. I prefer my 1-6X scopes.
Anybody need a Steiner 3X prism for a AR10?

Banned
I have one prismatic, a Burris 332.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 1X prisms are not quite 1X and should have enough diopter adjustment for your astigmatism. I have a couple 1-6X24 scopes and do not have to use glasses. Try before you buy.
I have a 3X prism and not really fond of it. It does work for distance but close in is slower. I don't shoot it enough to get proficient with it. The reticle is visible with power off. I prefer my 1-6X scopes.
Anybody need a Steiner 3X prism for a AR10?
Astigmatism is one part of the equation. A bit of magnification/help for my eyes is the other part.
Besides the slower sight picture for close distance, what else you don鈥檛 like about it?
I鈥檓 thinking some magnification would be enjoyable at 50/100 yards, even for the whole range from 25 to 100 yards.

Premium Member
Astigmatism is one part of the equation. A bit of magnification/help for my eyes is the other part.
Besides the slower sight picture for close distance, what else you don鈥檛 like about it?
I鈥檓 thinking some magnification would be enjoyable at 50/100 yards, even for the whole range from 25 to 100 yards.
For close in defense 1X does that very well. 300 yards with lots of time 6X works better. 3X is a compromise that does neither very well. If all your shots were 50-150 yards it would be good but I can set my scope to 3X if that is what I want.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For close in defense 1X does that very well. 300 yards with lots of time 6X works better. 3X is a compromise that does neither very well. If all your shots were 50-150 yards it would be good but I can set my scope to 3X if that is what I want.
A LPVO 1-4x or 1-6x is definitely a great choice. The Sig Bravo 3 and 5 models can be found in the $300-$400 range.
Is there any good, durable LPVO in the $300-$400 range? I was told I would need to spend 3 or 4 times that to find a good, durable one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For me, the 332 is more for a hog or 'yote hunting AR, it is heavier but does offer 3x magnification.

The red dots are for close in work, 50 yards or less.
Hog and/or coyote hunting are great example of its uses.

Premium Member
A LPVO 1-4x or 1-6x is definitely a great choice. The Sig Bravo 3 and 5 models can be found in the $300-$400 range.
Is there any good, durable LPVO in the $300-$400 range? I was told I would need to spend 3 or 4 times that to find a good, durable one.
I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X24. Optics Planet has them for $299 right now.
I would sell the Steiner 3x prism for $400 shipped.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X24. Optics Planet has them for $299 right now.
I would sell the Steiner 3x prism for $400 shipped.
Vortex makes good stuff, and I have not bought that one because I read one would need to spend a lot more than that for a durable one, but I don鈥檛 know much about LPVOs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
There are complaints about the eye relief and dot size on the Sig Bravo series.
Back to a 3X magnifier鈥.

Registered
Vortex makes good stuff, and I have not bought that one because I read one would need to spend a lot more than that for a durable one, but I don鈥檛 know much about LPVOs.
Go vortex. Youll hear you have to a mint for optics from folks who have and then realized they could have got the same thing for any practical purpose for half or less.

The whole " you get what you pay for" mantra does sort of hold up when choosing a hooker.:LOL:

Premium Member
The ACSS reticle prismatic scopes from Primary Arms are on my list.
Tell you what, just as Primary Arms went to the now 3x ACSS with CQB-M Reticle, I bought three of their 2.5x ones they were selling real cheaply. Yep, I can be cheap! But these are crystal clear and dead on after sighted in. Even with my old eyes. Have BDC that works for 223/5.56, .308, and 5.45x39 7n6 ammo. No red dot of course, but better for my shooting needs. They say good from 0-600 yards. Well, at 400 yards, which I rarely even shoot any longer, ya don't ever want me aiming at you with these 76 year old astigmatism eyes. My normal shooting distances are almost 0 to 200 yards. My most preferred sights now. Even over some 4x12 or 4x16 scopes I have. Very fast target acquisition.

Oh, I have two guys I know with the newer 3x. However, I cannot tell the difference between their 3x and my 2.5x when trying their rifles. I highly recommend for a great over all sight. Oh, and by the way, I have one on a 350 Legend that is a total deer slayer!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts