Priorities: Owning a Home or Expensive Firearms?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Pro2A, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Pro2A

Pro2A Member

First in foremost I don’t knock anyone from renting a home or apartment and I especially don’t tell anyone how to spend there own money, however where do the priorities fall in.

I came across a YouTube channel of a popular youtuber with quite a massive following and in his video he was stating he doesn’t own his home but he spends $1000+ on mods for firearms, is his priorities in the right place? I know before I got deep into firearms I made sure I owned my home and cars first, before owning them I only had 1 firearm, that I used for my edc/home defense and it was a M&P Shield 40, that I still have until this day. I remember buying it on sale at academy for $279.

I just want to know you guys opinions about your priorities before going all in on firearms.

P.S. Pic of my very first firearm below
    8C81D486-5798-46E4-983A-1E9C8D317DE3.jpeg

2. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Home.

Almost any stock pistol shotgun or rifle from any of the major manufsctures can serve perfectly well as a defensive firearm in stock form.

big shrek, locutus, Shopfox and 2 others like this.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Cover the basics first, the luxury items down the road.

4. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

It's a lot harder to steal a house than a gun collection.
    Unless you're the govt. Then either is pretty easy.

5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I believe its important to not go too crazy with ones firearms collection.
    Most firearms in stock or near stock form are quite effective in defensive roles.

I move a lot for work so i rent.... but at least my vehicle is fully paid off and i have some reserves.

6. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

You need a house to store firearms in to start with then a man cave to play with your vices with that house.:D
    Your own house means that the landlord can't boot you out for whatever reason(unless it's a messy divorce which usually ends in tears anyway), you can set your house up how you want and it's generally a permanent roof over your head for you and your family and memories.

Renting may be fine for a while if that's all you can afford and for a lot of us our hobbies/pastimes take 2nd place after buying a house which is the big thing and then we return to our past vices after things settle down.
    At the end of the day it's your choice on how you put priorities.

7. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

without any hesitation I would say owning your own home far surpasses spending money on building a gun collection, that money could be better used on making a down payment.

big shrek likes this.
  8. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

If possible, own your home.

Oldoutlaw and Rifling82 like this.
  9. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, IMO he needs to reassess some things:eek:

10. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Well i guess as long as his bills are paid. Then it's ok to buy toys. Some folks don't want the responsibility of home repairs and upkeep. Paying taxes and having home owners insurance ect ect. I do property management. Some tenants we had for a long time.

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Had an old friend that was a retired navy Chief- Pearl Harbor survivor. When John was stationed at Great Lakes, bought a house. When he was transferred, went down to the navy billeting office, said got a house for rent to any petty Officer- rent is same as their housing allowance. Stationed at San Diego, did same. Repeat for Norfolk. Repeat for Bremerton.

When he retired, he owned- free and clear- 5 houses. Some folks (especially Millenials) seem to have an allergy to buying a house- and would RATHER rent. Do not mean folks that are constantly moving for work.

Besides the peace of mind of sitting in the shade of your fig and your vine, in John's case (and in ours) it has been a really good investment. We have encouraged our adult grandkids to get a home, and have helped with a gift to help them make that threshold of a down payment.

The toys are fine. Your own place- 'mo bettah.

12. freefall

Real estate has been the main generator of wealth since this countrys foundation.
    And worldwide throughout history I don't doubt.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I have never had to rent and bought my first little townhouse when I was 23. I Lived at home and went to school until then. I do agree owning a home can financially suck the life out of you. There was a time, in my single parent days, I wanted to sell my house and rent. I didn’t for the stability for my kids but I couldn’t always afford the upkeep and the house eventually needed a few repairs. That’s how I met Balota. He saw I was in some dire straits and cane to help out. But I struggled to replace a hot water tank, a refrigerator (both necessities) and some things I had to let slide. It would have been nice to call the landlord and tell him/her I needed those things. But then it was pointed out to me not all landlords are good landlords. To this day, my house in Illinois needs kitchen cabinets, windows and some hardwood floors refinished. The house we live in needs new flooring and paint inside.
    That being said, I would not be buying very expensive firearms and mods for them while renting. I think owning your own home gives a bit better security for your possessions as landlord, maintenance, etc won’t be entering your home. Announced or not. Also, it might be difficult to get a safe into an apartment if you are not in the first floor.

PaBushMan likes this.
  14. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Renting is underrated. A lot of private homes look neglected, because the owner can’t or won’t upkeep and renovate. More private homes look okay but once you enter, it’s OMG. (You know it if you went house hunting) The money you lose on rent is predictable whereas your own place can and will hit you with larger surprise bills. If you are single or married with no children, renting is often better. I don’t think the decision should depend on guns at all, if it’s not some museum collection.

15. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

I've known a couple of guys whose inventory was impressive to say the least. They were working guys like me, but decided at some point to collect firearms. Odd thing is, neither one of them ever shoot, just buy and tuck them away in the safe. And don't even ask if they're interested in letting anything go. Me? I don't have the money or the room to collect, although anyone looking in my safe might question that.

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

If I had a "do over", buy a $300-$500 handgun. If you want to hunt too, get a shotgun combo with both smooth/rifled barrels instead.

In college, in an apartment, someone had tried kicking my door in. Fortunately I wasn't home, and if I had been there, I had a .308 under the bed - not ideal, but better than nothing. Point being, you have basic defensive needs regardless of apartment or home.

The flip side, when you're starting out and broke, don't spend money you don't have.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    locutus, primer1 and Gatoragn like this.
  17. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I am a utilitarian type of gun owner, I use every damn one of them & some pull double duty.
    I don't and will never own Gucci or any fluffy type guns, ever...
    I don't subscribe to U-Tube so I'm not influenced by the "Newest, latest and greatest" things on the market these days... Not tryin to impress no one...

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I was looking at 1911’s on Gunbroker last night, took a screen shot of this nightmare, who would ever buy this?
    85F406A3-9E9E-4F0F-93F7-F57A895FBE90.jpeg

19. freefall

20. freefall

I have to mention, most custom things you have done to a firearm have 0 or less value to a buyer.

big shrek likes this.