Printing.....

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by nineguy, Apr 28, 2012.

1. nineguy

nineguy New Member

For my cc I carry my xd9sc w/ an IWB CB super tuck. I typically wear a button up shirt daily(untucked). I am a lefty, so I carry at about 8 o'clock. I guess my question is this. Regardless of how I carry at points throughout the day, I print. Whether the wind blows my shirt against my carry or I bend over and someways in the way I twist my body. Is there something I am not doing/understanding or just plain "paranoid" that it will be observed by the general public? Any help would be great, thanks!!

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

A heavier material would likely help. It may be a bit of paranoia also.

3. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

All winter I had no problem with my g23, Now I am having the same problem as you. I my self am looking in to a smaller pistol like a cm9 for summer ccw. I have a s&w p99c in 40 that conceals fine I just do not like the gun and will sell it most likely.

4. nineguy

nineguy New Member

I have a 380 thunder that would conceal better but don't have a holster for it and it's pretty small for my hand. I've had it for yrs for mainly HD.

5. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

How do you like that gun? I have been looking to buy one for my wife.

6. nineguy

nineguy New Member

It's a really nice gun, shoots great and accurate! If I was a woman and needed/wanted to carry something small, this would be the one. It's thin and light and small. I just prefer a little bigger caliber. Perfect for a woman.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Printing is a factor of gun size, holster type, and body type. There is no silver bullet that fixes this for everyone. Only a trial and error process to discover what works for you.

In my 16+ years of daily CCW I've packed the full size spectrum of sidearms. 5 years ago I discovered the magic of a pistol that was no taller than 4" from top of slide to bottom of mag well and no wider than 1" at the slide. I've carried this gun with 1 bu mag in an office environment for 5 years with no concern of printing. Not to pump my choice of gun because there are many that fit these dimensions but if your currious, it's the Kahr PM 9. carried in a belly band rig slung low around the hip I'm able to position the gun strong side and it completely disappears.

Good luck

Tack

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I think your being self conscious about it.
    Most people will never notice. All the crap on people's belts these days, most will just think you have some sort of electronic leash on your belt. Ironically, the people most likely to notice will probably be other people CCing.

9. nineguy

nineguy New Member

I was carrying the 16rd mag for it and a buddy of mine suggested the 10rd mag and that shorter 1"-1 1/4" made a huge difference but I guess in the back of my head I still feel like all eyes are on me. I just recently started carrying again after yrs of not carrying so maybe it's just all mental.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Imo if its not in the back of tour mind you might be too relaxed about it. Let's face it there are people out there actively seeking to take away our rights. All it takes is an anti in a restaurant to notice it and make a big commotion and you have problems.

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Printing

No printing for me. I went through the phase of trying to carry to much gun.

I ended up carrying a Kel-tec PF9 with belt clip kit installed. see photo below. No more holsters for me. I wear it outside my pants, inside my belt. It fits so flat, it is impossible to see. Plus, I have shot it so much, it's like pointing my finger at someone and bang. I practice at 15 feet.

Plus, I have carried so long, that it is like wearing a wristwatch.
    DSCN0633.jpg

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

13. gollygee

gollygee New Member

There may be a combination of things that you should do. As already suggested, a different shirt material that does not tend to cling. I carry the same way, except I carry cross-draw & can carry a full size double stacked 9mm. I've found that cotton shirts have less tendacy to print, but of course, they must be ironed & I and my wife don't like to iron. I have found a few synthetics that seem to be of thicker material that work fine. Another thing is, shirts which are cut for wearing tucked are usually close fitting. The ones designed for wearing untucked are more blousey & I buy them a size larger than I really need. Of course, I'm an old codger & don't care if I dress a little sloppy.:)

Next is your gear. The proper holster with a good belt will hold the weapon up snug to your side. I wear a T-shirt undeneath it to keep it from chafing my skin. The best cant for me is one that angles the grip upwards against my side. When the grips are parallel to the floor, it seems that they stick out away from my body more & tend to put a bulge in my cover garment. That's where a good thick, stiff belt really pays for itself. The holster may have the correct cant, but a limber belt will let it tilt forward/backward.

14. nineguy

nineguy New Member

Well being 6'3" and 260, I already wear big shirts and a T-shirt. I think if I become Jenny Craig's next spokesperson and dropped a few it might conceal better.

15. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

Will, i must say, IMO the problem isnt the gun at all, its the position. I have both a G23 and G30sf and have no problems. I have tryed that position and it is very comfy but involves more risk of printing; especially when bending over. the 3o'clock works well for me and is comfy enough. Sometimes i forget im carrying.

16. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I had the P3AT with the belt clip and it drew pretty well. I never did like that I didn't have a trigger guard. That's one reason I started using it with a holster.

17. Donn

Donn Active Member

Most people don't notice because they're not looking for it. Unless your shirt blows up and actually exposes your piece, I wouldn't worry, especially with a Super Tuck.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am right handed and have found that carrying at 4 o'clock with the butt forward prints a lot less. It is also easier to draw in a car. You will have to learn to draw with it in this position but it just takes a little practice.

19. mcb

mcb New Member

One idea on warmer days try the Bersa in a pocket holster. I have to dress professional everyday, and find that an easy way to conceal.

20. nineguy

nineguy New Member

I'm a truck driver and by law we can't carry at work or in a truck. But I do carry on days off. And like I stated in my OP, I'm left handed and carry at about 8 o'clock because it's most comfortable. Guess I'll try the 9 o'clock position and maybe adjust the holster more.