"Printing" your CC

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by ajs, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajs

ajs New Member

Does anyone know if you can get arrested or harassed for printing your gun in Michigan? or any state for that matter....

2. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

In Oklahoma you can't print.

See if there is something on Handgunlaw.us .

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If it's printing, it's NOT concealed.

If it's not concealed you're breaking the law.

It's that Black & White.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Pennsylvania--- Open Carry and CC are both legal for residents(CC requires a License to Carry Firearms), so printing is not a crime.

Carrying a loaded firearm in your car is always considered CC(LCF required).

Philadelphia has the only exception----residents need LCF for OC and/or CC
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    IMO if you're carrying concealed, try to keep it concealed.

5. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Fixed.

ten.

6. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Yes. The point of keeping it concealed is so bad people won't be inclined to take it (because they won't know it's there).

7. ajs

ajs New Member

Thanks for your input guys, I had planned on keeping it as concealed as possible but I just wanted to know what would happen if someone did notice a print on me.

8. Glock30Owner

Glock30Owner New Member

Let me be nice and say that this is not the way I understand the law.[mod edit]

Michigan is a traditional Open Carry state. This means that you don't even need a license to openly carry a firearm.

You need to check the laws yourself to see where you can carry and how you can carry. IIRC, there are rules for CC that don't apply to OC in MI, and vice versa.

And for anyone else reading this thread, there is no law on any state's statutes that prohibits your firearm from printing (if you claim it does, post a link to the statute).

That said, there are states (like Texas) that make it a criminal offense to intentionally not conceal your firearm. Laws of this nature can only be found in states that do not allow OC, and there are only 6 (Arkansas, Florida, New York, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas). No carry is permitted in Illinois, period (even fanny packers there have been convicted).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
  9. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 New Member

With my first Texas CHL, printing was heavily stressed. In the training for my renewal, printing was less emphasized. If the piece is covered and out of sight, it should be OK. That doesn't mean some hotrod LEO can't make trouble for you and I'd avoid any carry issues if possible.

Most of my carry is in my right front pants pocket. I used to crumple up a napkin and place it over the piece to break up the pattern. It's really not a problem and easily corrected.

Printing...OK how about those fanny packs? In our extreme Houston summer weather, we fanny pack a lot. Not too obvious we are carrying, huh? We always get a glance from LEO's but we have NEVER been challenged.

Flash

10. enderwig

enderwig New Member

To agree with Roger4314, my first Texas CHL class stressed no printing, when I renewed, they stressed that as long as you are not intentionally not concealing, then you are on the right side of the law. My instructors example was the passenger seat of your car, if you just set you gun on the seat, you intentionally did not conceal. If you set it on the seat and placed newspaper over it, and some or all of the gun became visible, that was unintentional, and therefore legal.

I still make every effort to make sure my carry weapon is always concealed, but since my last class, I don't stress it as much. (eg. grabbing something off the top shelf at the grocery store.)

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

havent heard of printing. What are we talking about here?

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Intentional or unintentional lack of proper concealment of a weapon that can be construed as brandishing in certain jurisdictions.

Brandishing" a firearm or deadly weapon is the act of drawing or exhibiting a firearm or weapon in a rude or threatening manner. Simply showing a firearm requires a 30 day minimum jail sentence. If the brandishing occurs in a public place with a revolver or concealable handgun, the charge is a misdemeanor with a minimum of 90 days in jail. If this conduct occurs in the presence of a police officer, the punishment can include prison time, in the worst case scenario, the police have guns and are trained to use deadly force against you. excerpted Orange County, CA

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  13. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Never heard that terminology before.

14. Viking

Viking Active Member

Do you have a conceal carry license? If so your instructor should have mentioned this issue. If you were carrying concealed say like in Portland or other large somewhat anti-gun towns and your weapon was showing a raised outline of the grip bulge on a jacket a LEO would more than likely confront you, perhaps in an unpleasent way. Out of site, out of mind (of people who may not like guns in civilians hands) and you'll stay out of trouble. Common sense at it's best.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The states which do not allow open carry at all can get cranky with printing. Florida is one of those states and depending on the LEO, printing can be a bad thing. My daughter lives in FL and I'm always very careful to conceal completely when I'm there. Technically, if you're printing - the gun is not concealed...

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thank you Dave!

What part of "Concealed Carry" don't you guys understand?

Printing while concealed carrying is like being a little bit pregnant! You either are, or are not.

17. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It don't matter what you say now, we're not going to pay the slightest attention to you after attacking a WELL respected member and moderator. You're starting out the wrong way and will never have any credibility on this forum if you continue along this course. If I was you I'd tread VERY carefully and stay in the glock section. It seems you're an expert in all states' laws. Welcome to the ignore bin.:D

18. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

You are such a pile of trash. What legal experience do you have from there on your soapbox? Me? I'm a retired cop and if you are "printing" you are not concealed. As far as me linking the laws that prove this to you? You can pound sand, I've already wasted too much of my time by simply responding to you.

Go back to mall ninja quarterly and where you can push junior high kids around, you friggin' douche.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
  19. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is one thread that Robo needs to visit and kill. As a Texas LEO, he can tell us directly if printing is cause for concern in states that do not support open carry...

20. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Darin put his thoughts on it, so that is one LEO.

I agree NGIB that robo needs to stop in. It would be better if there were reply after reply from all the LEOs here, just a thought. Think about it, if all the next few threads there from robo, scubie, Glass, Brad (new SM)--just off the top of my head. I know there are others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.