'Printing' etiquette

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by bgeddes, Nov 9, 2008.

1. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

At an auction run by friends of ours, they were selling a few firearms. Nothing special but I wanted to go look. This guy walks in an is looking at the guns for sale, and as a newer CCW, I notice he is printing so bad it's unreal. I swear, I must have been the only idiot to notice! I started watching other people and the butt of his BIG auto was practically bouncing off them, yet they failed to get a clue.

So now what? I was thinking of quietly telling this guy he is printing HUGE, but is that cool? I'd hate to call someone out and create a high anxiety situation. What is the protocol for a CCW that spots another CCW with an INCREDIBLY obvious print?

2. Glock30Owner

Glock30Owner New Member

I don't think there is any protocol. I do know how I'd react if someone came up to me and said that they could see my handgun that is being covered by my unbuttoned coat. I'd say thanks and tuck my coat behind the butt of the weapon, fully exposing the firearm.

It really boils down to what state you live in (I'm not aware of any laws against printing, but I'm no expert on every gun law in the country). If printing is against the state or local laws you could politely say someting like, "Nice handgun, what model is it?" Just remember not everyone who conceals is a good guy (or even legally carrying).

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Well, with your being a "fellow" CCW you should clearly and very friendly inform him that he is breaking the law, with his gun printing. He is RISKING losing his license if "anyone" complains. That's the LAW on Consealed Carry. It MUST BE CONCEALED from public perception, end of story...

It's NOT 'Printing' etiquette... IT'S THE LAW.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  4. shadow

shadow New Member

Ahhh...Printing.

Printing... A CCW terminology I take. Getting schooled before I actually take the class.

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Unless he was somebody I know, I wouldn't say anything. There's no way to know if he's legally carrying.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago at a knife show, a guy who was carrying a Colt Detective Special crouched to get something he'd droped on the floor and his jacket got stuck behind the grip of his revolver.

Concealed carry licenses are VERY hard to get in my country. He was talking to another knife dealer in the table next to me, and it turned out he was a retired police captain (they get ccw licenses) so I politely told him that his snubbie was showing. But I don't think I would have approached him without that information.

6. Mark F

IE: You see the profile of a gun on the fabric of clothes.

7. Jay

Jay New Member

That may be the case in TX, but it's not the case in Indiana. We have a license to carry a handgun. It does not specify concealed, or open, and the law makes no mention of anyone else's perception. By omission, open carry here is also allowed, so I may carry under a T-shirt, printing obviously, or I may just remove the T-shirt altogether. Carrying open, I would run the risk of someone not familiar with the law calling in a "person with a gun" report, so I carry concealed, but open carry is a legal alternative.

8. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

With all do respect, I do not live in Texas, (I love Texas though), and here in PA, he could open carry where ever he wants with a few exceptions. That is our law. Not better, not worse, just the case. Printing does not make him a law breaker. Actually, after I pointed it out to my better half, she agreed he is probably an LEO.

This is a situation where I chose to shut the pie hole and try and learn the right way. It has worked for me for years.

9. Mark F

Texas is a little weird about concealed handguns,and has a zero tollerance for gun printing.

10. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Prolly the right choice to keep yer thoughts to yourself at the time. I would look at the guy as a "threat", not as a fellow CCW. Have spotted a few in my time also, but I am always of the opinion that even though the dude is clean cut and looks like a friendly, he could still be a jackass. Better to think that way and be proven wrong than the reverse. Not paranoia, just good threat analysis especially if the family is in the AO.

11. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I did see him as kind of a threat, pointed him out to the better half as a safety measure, but we agree he was probably LEO. Seems keeping quiet and staying alert is the best bet 90% of the time.

12. Bighead

Bighead New Member

This is probably the best course of action.

If his gun appeared to be fully exposed accidentally, such as the post on here about the jacket caught on the gun, I would probably politely & quietly bring it to his attention, "Sir, your jacket is caught on you gun." This of course depends on the circumstances. If that same guy walked into my local convienence store I would be headed for the door to observe from outside and make sure it wasn't some robber wanting easy access to his piece.

If the you are just noticing the gun printing through clothing then ignore it after making note in your mind. Under certain circumstances this might also prompt the above described speedy retreat. Remember, the best confrontation is the one you avoid. If you are comfortable with the situation, and can quietly and unassumingly observe, it might be fun to try and see how many sheeple are walking around that never pickup on the gun.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  13. jamc1103

jamc1103 New Member

Printing

Here in GA it is not against the law for your gun to be printing. You can actually carry open here as long as you have a firearms permit. Can't carry at all without one....Printing is something I have been working on, as I am new to concealed carry myself. I am thinking of trying to buy a bigger size in the waist of my pants, so I can carry inside the waist. I have thought about carrying with a shoulder holster too. Any suggestions on brands of holsters that might work out?

14. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

In the final analysis, my card doesn't say "Partially-concealed". You can either ignore the situation, or call the cops.
    I'd mention to the guy that his weapon is showing, and that the cops are watching him.

15. Mark F

He'd probably check his zipper...

16. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

As long as the gun is not visible, its concealed. Holster showing, outline showing, its possibly one of those cell phones or Blueberries the yuppies carry nowadays.

And, the Supreme Court has ruled, the police must see the gun, not another's accusation. The accusation of a third party does not constitute "probable cause."

My stance? Keep your mouth shut.

Bob Wright

17. Glock30Owner

Glock30Owner New Member

I would hope that the police dispatcher you spoke with in VA would inform you that neither printing nor open carry are illegal in VA.

Granted, if you were in Norfolk, the SWAT team would come out and harrass everyone legally carring. :mad:

18. Mark F

I totally agree!

19. jmh21586

jmh21586 New Member

we have open carry here in mn.

20. WDB

WDB New Member

"Printing" could be a bulge in a jacket or a little leather sticking out the bottom of a shirt. It seems obsure and subjective at best. I'm not a lawyer (or ever played one on TV) but consealed premit/license means you can carry a firearm that isn't openly visible. The suggestion based on a bulge under a jacket or shirt that there might be a firearm seems simple. All the same took some time to understand the thought of "printing" and only found that gives LEO the right to ask if you are carrying a concealed firearm and didn't find any state that has a law that requires a person who has a premit/license to carry a concealed firearm to make it undectetable to a point that it's not noticed by the best of eyes. All I learned that in all states the consealed description is a firearm that is not easily seen/in view.

So to your question if the person had a carry issues that you spotted, it is none of your business. I expect it works well for the firearm he likes to pack and might not be how you would carry but it's is how he does. If you think he's a threat call LEO but stay there and take the heat if you call 911 on a person who has the right to carry. If he's legal you owe him an explaination. Might not be "suited up" as you would like him to be but I expect he has his reasons.