Primers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by biggun, Jan 3, 2013.

1. biggun

biggun New Member

I got a question about primers, Is Rifle primers has hard has pistol primers or they all the same metal

2. Kraj

Kraj New Member

The main difference between pistol and rifle primers is the size of the blast to light the powder, not how hard the firing pon needs to hit it

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Rifle primers are taller than pistol primers due to the deeper pocket on rifle cases.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Wait, Please go back and edit your original post. The spelling and grammar make the question unclear.

5. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

In a nutshell...

Small rifle and small pistol are the same size. The rifle version can be used for pistol with load adjustments but you may not have enough firing pin impact to light them reliably. Small pistol primers should not be used for rifle because piercing and firing pin / bolt face erosion are likely.

Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers and the two should never be used as substitutes for the other.

Magnum primers in either flavor generate more flame in order to light magnum powders. They may or may not have harder cups than their standard brethren. If using magnum primers where the load data doesn't call for them you should reduce your load and work back up.

6. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Hello I'm going to start reloading .45acp soon what primers are used for that Cal small or large pistol primers

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Mostly large pistol primers. Some newer .45 cases take small pistol primers. Speer RHT "green ammo" is the main culprit here. Speer does not make non-toxic large primers so they make different cases for the green stuff. I hear rumors of Federal non-toxic ammo made the same way. Speer and Federal are owned by the same outfit, so that would make sense.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You need to study all reloading items. There will be hundreds of ideas on these forums. Reloading allows you to make a load that works best for you. :)

9. urquidez

urquidez New Member

Ty you very much for the info will have to look more into that

10. Kraj

Kraj New Member

In the manual you are looking up loads in they will state what size they used with the loads

11. assualtready070

assualtready070 New Member

I am new to reloading so some might think this question is stupid. What kind of primer does a 223 take large rifle or small rifle, I'm leaning towards small primer but some one told me at gander mountain that its a large rifle primer?

12. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Small rifle

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

223/556 uses small rifle primers. If your loading for an ar15 do not use benchrest type primers as the floating firing pin in a ar15 can easily set those off on chambering a round and can cause slamfires.

If you use a titanium firing pin in your ar15 any small rifle primer can be used. Steel pin do not use benchrest primers

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Remington 7 1/2 are MilSpec and Remington uses them in their military contract ammo.

They are marked "bench rest" on the box.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Remington isnt exactly good at making quality reliable ammunition either...

Actual benchrest primers tend to be a little thinner as benchrest guns are designed with slightly weaker hammer springs to help trigger pull. Im not sure any actual benchresters use remington primers ;)

16. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Jon
    I shoot an M1A and was told to use CCI #4 or CCI BR primers to prevent slam fire. So far with the BR primers (600 +) no problem. Had some double taps on recoil, but that I resolved with awareness. I would appreciate your opinion.
    Thanks

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

cci are the gold standard primer in my book. if you choose to use br primers just make sure its pointed in a safe direction on loading. in floating firing pin guns you should stick with harder primers. its not going to go boom everytime the bolt closes, you just run a much higher risk of slam fire. ive seen it happen to some folks using factory 308 ammo in m1a before.

oh one other thing, benchrest primers tend to be a little thinner and with the very energetic firing mechanisms of military style semi-autos and you run a real risk of pierced primers. if you get a pierced primer all that hot gass jets into the bolt area and can result in damage to your bolt assembly.

i dont use br primers in any of my guns since i dont have reduced power hammer springs in any gun i own. i dont think they are necessary and can be dangerous in firearms not designed to utilize them.

i know magtech uses very thin primers and i get pierced primers in their 44mag pistol ammo in my ruger 44 carbine.

just my opinion

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  18. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Thanks
    I will use the BR in my bolts. Standard CCI in the battle rifle.