Firearms Talk banner

Primers?

4K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  JonM 
#1 ·
I just got into releading a couple of months ago and have not made even one round yet. Ive been reading and looking around for prices of components. I will be starting with .38/.357 and I cant really find any good information on specifics of primers. I bought 100 winchester small pistol primers and 100 jacketed bullets to start out with and a pound of unique powder. But today I was at a local gun and knife show and there was a guy selling components and had 30 different brands and he really was no help to me. I found a chart online that pretty much gives compatibility with different brands but im looking for more details. If anyone knows of a site or a book it would help alot, thanks.

#2 ·
Primers.

Some are hard, which will not reliably fire in a gun with lightened springs. Soft primers will go bang in anything.

Hard to soft.

CCI, wolf, Winchester, federal.

CCI primers are considered to be the benchmark for reloading.
This doesn't mean they MUST be used.

That said, I run alot of CCI, they seem to be cheaper.

As for compatibility. They're all compatible.

Large rifle, small rifle, large pistol, small pistol. Different companies have given them different names but application is the same.

CCI 500, Remington 5 1/2, Winchester wsp. They're all small pistol primers, interchangeable.

Magnum primers are a little different. You may use them in all applications, but you cannot use standard primers in magnum applications.

Hope this helps, if not, I can write one hell of a long in depth piece on them.

#4 ·
The 38 uses "small pistol" primers.
CCI-500, Fed 100 and 100M, Win 1 1/2, Rem 1 1/2, Magtech 1 1/2.

The 357 uses "Small Pistol Magnum" primers.
CCI-550, Fed 200 and 200M, Win 1 1/2M, Rem 5 1/2, Magtech 5 1/2.

You said you have been "reading", what reloading manuals have you read?

#6 ·
I would get one of the books from the manufactures.(Speer,Lyman Etc) start slow and be patient. I have always had luck with all the primers and such. You will find that your gun "likes" a particular recipe the best and that why people end up with so much stuff. BTW keep good record.

#7 ·

OP,
FWIW, Lyman 49th used CCI 550s for their .357 data. I strongly recommend that you purchase/locate other additional data sources.

That said... very few (pistol) powders actually require Magnum primers, at least for .357 use (can't speak to the larger magnums). Many have found that for non-ball type powders, plain old small pistol primers work great. Unique is certainly not hard to ignite. Win 296 & H110 are reputedly the only common powders that require Magnum primers. I did test some Alliant 2400 loads with both types of primers just to satisfy my curiosity. If there was a difference, I couldn't tell on paper.
Also worth noting, primer hardness matters if your doing a lot of DA shooting with revolvers with worn or lighter weight hammer springs. I use Federals for any loads that will see mostly DA use. My S&W doesn't care, but my Colt does. CCIs work great for everything else.
If you develop your loads carefully starting low & working up, your primer choice won't be that big of a deal. Do your due diligence with your process and you should be fine.
Note: There is always some conflict between the "Follow your data" side and the "it's not set in stone" side of the issue. This where judgement counts. Start low and work up, any time you you switch components. For instance: substituting a Winchester primer for a Federal isn't really that big of a deal, but you must approach it in the same manner as you would developing a new load...because you are.

#8 ·
Years ago, I had major FTF problems with CCI. I switched to Remington and never looked back.

I load a great deal of military caliber ammo, and Remington 7 1/2 small rifle and 9 1/2 large rifle primers are MilSpec, so I buy them in sleeves of 5000.

Never had a FTF or other problem with Remington primers.

#9 ·
steve4102 said:

I have the newest speer manual and the ABC's of reloading. Im planning on getting more. I dont know if its just me but they really dont go into details on the specifics of primers and their uses. Im open for options on what are some of the better manuals to get.

#10 ·
they really dont go into details on the specifics of primers and their uses
My Speer #13 has 4 1/2 pages devoted to primers. What kind of "specifics" are you looking for?

If you are looking for "specifics" on brand of primer you will not find it in your manual. Small pistol = small pistol, pick one, same goes for every other size primer be it LR, LP or Magnum. Just select the correct size in any brand you wish and l load em.

#11 ·
steve4102 said:
My Speer #13 has 4 1/2 pages devoted to primers. What kind of "specifics" are you looking for?

If you are looking for "specifics" on brand of primer you will not find it in your manual. Small pistol = small pistol, pick one, same goes for every other size primer be it LR, LP or Magnum. Just select the correct size in any brand you wish and l load em.
Ok I was just wondering about specific brands and what will work with what uses. I know some are hotter than others. Im letting everyone know im very new to reloading and just trying to learn more before I start. Thanks everyone.

#12 ·
I use cci, Winchester, and Remington interchangeably with no issues from any of them. I don't use magnum primers for my 357 loads. I shoot sa and da with my revolvers and have never failed to set one off. The only reason I don't use federal is the packaging makes them a pain in the azz to neatly pour into my priming tray but the primers work just fine, I just feel like I am always pickin them up off the floor.

#15 ·
I use cci, Winchester, and Remington interchangeably with no issues from any of them. I don't use magnum primers for my 357 loads. I shoot sa and da with my revolvers and have never failed to set one off. The only reason I don't use federal is the packaging makes them a pain in the azz to neatly pour into my priming tray but the primers work just fine, I just feel like I am always pickin them up off the floor.

Same here. I use standard Remington # 1 1/2, and my 125 grain load clocks 1625 FPS from my 6 inch Ruger Security Six.

#16 ·
CCI are the last choice always. Federal is the most popular with Match or Compt. Handgunners. I also use the Winchester. Federals are some over sized to keep a tight fit in handloaded brass. The Magnum primer comes into play when using a gun at very low Temps. It provides a hotter spark in cold weather.:)

#18 ·
Same here. I use standard Remington # 1 1/2, and my 125 grain load clocks 1625 FPS from my 6 inch Ruger Security Six.
Fupuk, as with most internet forums and information sites it happens that you will get bad and even dangerous advise. The key is to have good manuals and written resources that can help you weed out the bad advice.

The above comment is what should be considered "Bad" advice. Please to not follow this.

The Remington 1 1/2 primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum. Especially when loaded to the extreme velocities listed above. Remington specifically warns against using their 1 1/2 primer in the 357 Mag. It even says so on the box. Still there are those that ignore the manufactures warnings.
It's best to stay safe and ignore those that ignore the warnings.

#21 · (Edited)
Fupuk, please follow the recommendations and warnings from your component manufactures and loading manuals, not those from a stranger on the internet.

You will find reference to Lawyers and the dumming down of of loads and data quite often. Older manuals often times have data with much higher charge weights than newer manuals. There are those that are quick to blame Lawyers for the new reduced data, when in reality the new data is most likely the result of better more accurate modern pressure testing procedures and equipment. I would suspect the Remington Primer warning is the result of this as well.

Again, Remington warns against the use of their 1 1/2 primers in the 357, please heed this warning, it is there for a reason.

Here is the warning from Remington's web site.

In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds.

http://remington.custhelp.com/app/a...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM1NDc0NzAwMi9zaWQvUDJ5dmQqY2w=

#22 ·
Fupuk, please follow the recommendations and warnings from your component manufactures and loading manuals, not those from a stranger on the internet.

You will find reference to Lawyers and the dumming down of of loads and data quite often. Older manuals often times have data with much higher charge weights than newer manuals. There are those that are quick to blame Lawyers for the new reduced data, when in reality the new data is most likely the result of better more accurate modern pressure testing procedures and equipment. I would suspect the Remington Primer warning is the result of this as well.
Again, Remington warns against the use of their 1 1/2 primers in the 357, please heed this warning, it is there for a reason.
Here is the warning from Remington's web site.
In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds.
http://remington.custhelp.com/app/a...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM1NDc0NzAwMi9zaWQvUDJ5dmQqY2w=
Just a question, but why would Remington continue to make 1 1/2 primers at all? Ditto 6 1/2 primers as well. Seems like it creates more problems than it solves for all concerned.
For instance, someone new to reloading rifle cartridges might grab some 6 1/2 Small Rifle Primers, not knowing they are supposedly not appropriate for some typical small rifle applications for whatever reason. The warning on the package is written in exceedingly small print. Small rifle primers should simply work in a small rifle cartridge without a fine print warning. Let's be honest, .223 isn't that remarkable as rifle cartridges go. Ditto with SP primers & .357 Mag. I can't be the only one who believes this is BS. Sounds like product planning from a Dilbert cartoon.
But CCI sucks. :rolleyes: Does CCI have a Small Pistol Primer that is restricted to only certain small pistol applications due to safety concerns in the same manner as Remington?

FWIW, 6 1/2 primers work great in my .223 loads. But then I'm not really running that hot. I suppose I could use up the remainder in my .357 loads. :D

#23 ·
Overkill0084 said:
Just a question, but why would Remington continue to make 1 1/2 primers at all? Ditto 6 1/2 primers as well. Seems like it creates more problems than it solves for all concerned.
For instance, someone new to reloading rifle cartridges might grab some 6 1/2 Small Rifle Primers, not knowing they are supposedly not appropriate for some typical small rifle applications for whatever reason. The warning on the package is written in exceedingly small print. Small rifle primers should simply work in a small rifle cartridge without a fine print warning. Let's be honest, .223 isn't that remarkable as rifle cartridges go. Ditto with SP primers & .357 Mag. I can't be the only one who believes this is BS. Sounds like product planning from a Dilbert cartoon.
But CCI sucks. :rolleyes: Does CCI have a Small Pistol Primer that is restricted to only certain small pistol applications due to safety concerns in the same manner as Remington?

FWIW, 6 1/2 primers work great in my .223 loads. But then I'm not really running that hot. I suppose I could use up the remainder in my .357 loads. :D
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think Steve works in the primer department at Remington and is trying to boost sales by talking us into buy an extra box of primers. :D

#24 ·
Just a question, but why would Remington continue to make 1 1/2 primers at all? Ditto 6 1/2 primers as well.
The 1 1/2 has a thinner cup. It works well or was designed for (whatever you want to call it) low pressure rounds. The 5 1/2 has a thicker cup that is designed to withstand the pressure of the 357 and similar rounds. The 5 1/2 is a Mag primer for use in Magnum cartridges or non-magnum cartridges that run at Magnum pressures.

To better answer your question a email or phone call to Rem may shed more accurate light.

Whatever the reason the 1 1/2 should not be used in the OP's 357.

#25 ·
I load a lot of different calibers. I try to simplify things as much as possible. I mainly use CCI primers. But I use magnum primers for everything. I have never had a problem of any kind with this.

#26 ·
Remington recommends the 7 1/2 primer in the 5.56 because it's a MilSpec primer, and the 5.56 is a military cartridge used primarily in military rifles. The # 9 1/2 is the MilSpec LR primer, and should be used in any ammo used in semi-auto military rifles.

These primer cups are thicker to prevent slam-fires. It has nothing to do with pressure. The NRA recommends MilSpec primers in .30-06 ammo loaded for the M-1 Garand, and that's a lower pressure cartridge than most modern rifle rounds.

As for the debate on the 1 1/2, the moderator removed my post, and I am satisfied with his reasons for doing so. Therefore I would request we close the discussion on that subject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.