primers for accuracy loads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Hot Sauce NARC, May 6, 2010.

1. Hot Sauce NARC

Hot Sauce NARC New Member

ive been reloading for my savage for a while (12bvss in .223) and ive been using cheap primes that i bought last year when that is all i could i find. They are magtech srp 7 1/2 using them in rem cases 70 gr berger vld's and 25.8 gr of varget and so far they average group is about .7-.8 and thats not too bad but i really think it could do better. Now ive heard that using better primers can result in better accuracy. Is this really true? Which primers should i go with? i found alot of places that have remington benchrest 7 1/2 small rifle primers at a decent price. What do you think?

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I've had great results from using benchrest primers with standard (non magnum) loads. My personal favorite is CCI BR-4 (small rifle) and BR-2 (large rifle). The Federal are good too. I haven't used many Remingtons. They're not different "power"-just more consistent.

3. Hot Sauce NARC

my problem is consistency. Ill get 3 rounds in the same hole and then the last 2 shots in a line from 11 oclock to 5 oclock on either side of the 3 shot group and it jacks my group size up 4 thenths of an inch. Ive strived very hard to make sure my powder is always coonsistent, it makes sense that it may be the primers.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Whenever I find a load that works great in a gun,I will then try every different primer I have to see if it tightens or widens the groups of a given load.

You'll be surprised the difference that a little primer makes. Some are good,some bad.You just have to find the perfect match of primer/powder/bullet.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have 5k wolf small rifle and 5k wolf large rifle primers. I have not seen any accuracy degradation from the use of the wolf primers. 5k are only $140 plus shipping.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The only rifle I have that I load for max accuracy is the .25-06. I only use the CCI bench rest primers for it.

7. Hot Sauce NARC

thanks guys i picked up a brick of cci br4's last night from a local guy. Midway wanted 48.00 for them plus 19.00 ups plus a 25.00 dollar haz mat fee so i got them for 42.00 instead of 92.00 by calling around

8. zeskullmaster

zeskullmaster New Member

I have found the CCI makes some top notch primes and I do alot of reloading some for match shooting I use Large Mag pistol Primers from CCI I have tryed a few from Germany and fall back to CCI

9. Brigadeir

Brigadeir New Member

Ditto

I agree.
    It all depends on what your particular firearm likes. I've seen a load close by 3/8" between winchester and remington primers.

Brig