primers for accuracy loads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Hot Sauce NARC, May 6, 2010.

1. Hot Sauce NARC

Hot Sauce NARC New Member

ive been reloading for my savage for a while (12bvss in .223) and ive been using cheap primes that i bought last year when that is all i could i find. They are magtech srp 7 1/2 using them in rem cases 70 gr berger vld's and 25.8 gr of varget and so far they average group is about .7-.8 and thats not too bad but i really think it could do better. Now ive heard that using better primers can result in better accuracy. Is this really true? Which primers should i go with? i found alot of places that have remington benchrest 7 1/2 small rifle primers at a decent price. What do you think?

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I've had great results from using benchrest primers with standard (non magnum) loads. My personal favorite is CCI BR-4 (small rifle) and BR-2 (large rifle). The Federal are good too. I haven't used many Remingtons. They're not different "power"-just more consistent.

3. Hot Sauce NARC

my problem is consistency. Ill get 3 rounds in the same hole and then the last 2 shots in a line from 11 oclock to 5 oclock on either side of the 3 shot group and it jacks my group size up 4 thenths of an inch. Ive strived very hard to make sure my powder is always coonsistent, it makes sense that it may be the primers.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Whenever I find a load that works great in a gun,I will then try every different primer I have to see if it tightens or widens the groups of a given load.

You'll be surprised the difference that a little primer makes. Some are good,some bad.You just have to find the perfect match of primer/powder/bullet.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have 5k wolf small rifle and 5k wolf large rifle primers. I have not seen any accuracy degradation from the use of the wolf primers. 5k are only $140 plus shipping.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The only rifle I have that I load for max accuracy is the .25-06. I only use the CCI bench rest primers for it.

7. Hot Sauce NARC

thanks guys i picked up a brick of cci br4's last night from a local guy. Midway wanted 48.00 for them plus 19.00 ups plus a 25.00 dollar haz mat fee so i got them for 42.00 instead of 92.00 by calling around

8. zeskullmaster

zeskullmaster New Member

I have found the CCI makes some top notch primes and I do alot of reloading some for match shooting I use Large Mag pistol Primers from CCI I have tryed a few from Germany and fall back to CCI

9. Brigadeir

Brigadeir New Member

Ditto

I agree.
    It all depends on what your particular firearm likes. I've seen a load close by 3/8" between winchester and remington primers.

Brig