Firearms Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
"I think military and lawenforcement is buying it all up! "

Each of the three retail outlets I patronize locally tell me they get a shipment and in two days or less it's all gone.

Sooo.....you would have us suspect the local cops and military reservests are buying all the IMR/Hogdon powders and Sierra/Hornady/Barnes/Speer hunting, target and varmiting bullets and unfired Winchester/Remington cases that come in and leave the shelves bare? Can't help but wonder what you are basing that "I think..." on.

The locals say there is a rush for each shipment they get, with some folks coming long distances to grab hundreds of dollars of product, sometimes thousands of dollars worth. Maybe it is the cops and GIs but it sure don't seem logical.

·
Registered
293 Posts
" How did we keep up with manufacturing of ammunition during WW 2 ,Korea, and Vietnam? During those wars we must have been using more ammo than we are now. Why do we only have a few factories that make primers and gunpowder?"

Well, part of why I don't think mil needs are much of a part of our problem is exactly the events you name.

In WWII part of the result was there was no ammo available for civilian use for a few years.

During Korea there were some shortages but the GI ammo needs were far smaller than it had been five years earlier. Military arsenals and plants were able to keep suppies up and civilian supplies were quite stable. Ditto 'Nam. And, yes, those actions required more GI ammo than now, by far so I can't believe the gov. drain has much to do with our current self-induced shortages. Meaning that now it's hoarder and frantic buyer driven and it will end.

If I were CEO of a component maker I would work extra shifts - maybe - but I would NOT buy or build more plant machinery to respond to this temp rush. As soon as things get even, the market needs will fall back to lower than "normal" levels because the hoarders will be using their own - hopefully vastly over-priced - stocks for a long time to come.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts