Primer Reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JimGiven, May 5, 2009.

1. JimGiven

JimGiven New Member

Hey guys...it has been near impossible to find any primers. When I spoke to my Dad, he told me that his Dad used to reload his primers. I could not believe it.

My Dad was not taught, but I figured someone here might have some knowledge about it, and how it could be done.

Best,
    Jim

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is theoretically possible. Remove the primer from the fired case. Remove the anvil from the cup. Clean out the cup. Use a punch to flatten the dimple left by the firing pin/striker. Reinstall a precisely metered amount of priming compound. Reinsert the anvil. Seat in a case.

The problem is making the priming compound. Lead styphenate is very toxic. I have no idea where to find a recipe. It must be inserted wet and allowed to dry. Good luck.

A field expediant might be to use the white heads off "strike anywhere" matches for a priming compound. It might ignite from percussion as well as friction.

Last edited: May 5, 2009

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

That has to be one of the craziest things I have heard in a long time. Not only would it take you years to get a mixture that would work and be consistant from batch to batch your are going to cost yourself more money in the long run that it would be to get on gun broker and pay $400 for 1000 primer.

4. JimGiven

JimGiven New Member

Crazy depends on whether you have an extra $400 to give me for that 1000 primers.

Not a crazy question...old timers DID do it. I just looked googled the match stick suggestion, and it is a primary explosive, and can be used for a primer compound. Am sure just as in my case, you can grain it out to the correct amount.

I just figured that I would get better knowledge than "that is crazy".

Jim

5. JimGiven

JimGiven New Member

BTW, thx Robo...something to think about.

Jim

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

if primers are selling for $400/1000, id like to sell some.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't know if flash powder such as found in firecrackers will reliably work but you could experiment. The problem is you would have to make it into a paste with water or alcohol and press it into place. You may need a thin membrane of perhaps paper to hold it there. Insert the anvil and allow to dry.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

$400 PER 10,000 Missed a 0.

Still I think I will wait until CCI BR4 and BR2 are back in stock. I know a lot of stuff and have taken my share of chemistry classes but I am not about to attempt to make my own primers.

When your face is sewed back on and all healed up let me know how it worked out.

9. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Me too... I have large and small pistol primers as well as large Magnum primers. Where do I sign up for the $400 per 1000 gig?
    That would be 40 cents per primer plus bullet & powder cost. There would be no purpose in reloading except in the most extreme cases.

I did see that some Stupid Ammo Hording Jerk was attempting to sell 40 S&W target grade ammo for $75.00 per 100 on another site. This is a bunch of CRAP! I really hope no one pays this jerk a dime...

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

As far as reloading primers... I suppose anything is possible. I think I'd go a different route and forego this endevour.

11. JimGiven

JimGiven New Member

Thx guys....surprisingly someone PMed me this link on youtube of someone reloading primers... Again was just a thought vs implementation. Wanted some thinkers and any old timers to chime in.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p1Xv6eDFjo&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Making Primers Part 2[/ame]

Jim

12. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

primers are currently $31/1000 here.

Id definately sell em for 40/1000.

13. JimGiven

JimGiven New Member

Had to pay $50, otherwise I could not shoot this weekend....bummer.

Jim

14. Esoterix

Esoterix New Member

You can checkout Ammosmith.com where he has a two(2) part video using the strike anywhere kitchen match tips. It takes about 12 match tips to work OK.

I will also quote you from a US Army Technical Manual (page 44):

IMPROVISED MUNITIONS HANDBOOK
    TM 31-210 Department of the Army Technical Manual
    UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WAR OFFICE
    FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY

"Section III
    No. 5
    REUSABLE PRIMER
    A method of making a previously fired primer reusable.
    MATERIALS REQUIRED:
    -------------------
    Used cartridge case
    2 long nails having approximately the same diameter as the inside of the
    primer pocket
    "Strike-anywhere" matches - 2 or 3 are needed for each primer
    Vise
    Hammer
    Knife or other sharp edged instrument
    PROCEDURE:
    ----------
    1. File one nail to a needle point so that it is small enough to fit through
    hole in primer pocket.
    2. Place cartridge case and nail between jaws of vise. Force out fired primer
    with nail.
    3. Remove anvil from primer cup.
    4. File down point of second nail until tip is flat.
    5. Remove indentations from face of primer cup with hammer and flattened
    nail.
    6. Cut off tips of the heads of "strike-anywhere" matches using knife. Care-
    fully crush the matches tips on dry surface with wooden match stick until the
    mixture is the consistency of sugar.
    CAUTION: Do not crush more than 3 match tips at one time or the mixture may
    explode.
    7. Pour mixture into primer cup. Compress mixture with wooden match stick un-
    til primer cup is fully packed.
    8. Place anvil in primer pocket with legs down.
    9. Place cup in pocket with mixture facing downward.
    10. Place cartridge case and primer cup between vise jaws, and press slowly
    until primer is seated into bottom of pocket. The primer is now ready to use."

I hope this helps out,

Doug

PS: Be sure to clean your weapon after using this method thoroughly!!!

15. JimGiven

JimGiven New Member

Wow....guess Army has it all worked out!!

Jim

16. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Maybe it's time to stock up on No.11 Percussion caps and several pounds of black powder....because that will be the next shooting sport that gets hit.

17. Gubba

Gubba New Member

I suspect hand loading primers in "the day" may have been done, however, methods, tools and materials would have been much different. What may have been "run of the mill" supplies then could no longer be duplicated in the same manner and then there is the toxicity problems that didn't seem so important back then. Antique machinery parts that have to be custom made typically cost more than it's worth. Primers are likely the same. It would be fascinating to know more about how they did do these things.

18. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

making primers

it is not lead stefinate any more nor is it mercury.plus what your considering is KNOWN AS MAKING EXPLOSIVES.I dont know who made primers as I never heard of it.but I have heard of making bombs with match heads and it never ended good.the gov puts those manuals out for underground fighting.and mostly to get a gun from the enemy.thats why flintlocks lasted so long.this seem to be an ongoing project by people who have a suicide mentality.:eek:

19. delmar

delmar New Member

I have been making my own primers with this method for a month and a half and I do fire real lead with them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZdaERbaQLo&feature=related]YouTube - firing reloaded primer[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nphPRG6JA&NR=1]YouTube - reloading primers[/ame]

20. delmar

delmar New Member

Sorry for the double post. I didn't catch the fact that it had to be looked at by a mod first. Please delete this one too when you get a chance.

edit: why did this post show up. Now I look like a real dork!