Primer Pocket Cleaner

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by cottontop, Jan 11, 2012.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Does anyone know if Dremel (or anyone else) makes a bit for their moto-tool that is some kind of small wire brush that would fit into a primer pocket? I currently use a small flat blade screwdriver to clean the primer pockets, but it seems that a small wire brush in the moto-tool would clean the pocket in about two seconds.
    cottontop

2. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I found a Dremel bit on line that I think will work. It is Dremel # 443. I will order one and give it a try and report back.
    cottontop

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a primer pocket cleaning tool.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

If you don't want to do it by hand,a Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner works really well in a cordless drill.

5. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I use a RCBS primer pocket brush in a cordless drill. I wish there was some kind of cleaner we could just spray in there to dissolve the residue. This is my least favorite reloading step.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Be very careful using a dremel or high speed power driven brush. Most primer pocket brushes are stainless steel and will remove brass from the primer pocket. It would not take long to mess it up.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I dont see why you couldnt.. I would keep the speed very low though... Maybe try a nylon or brass brush?
    I use one of these spiffy RCBS case prep-mahjiggers..

Attached Files:

8. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Agreed, I keep the drill veerrry slow.

9. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I use both handheld pocket cleaners, and the Lyman Case Prep tool (a glorified cordless screwdriver with gun-specific bits). If doing a big lot of brass, the Lyman gets the job.
    There are a lot of pocket cleaning/prep bits that will fit a basic 1/4" socket driver attachment. Can then be used in any cordless tool.