primer explosion

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by jimogden1984, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

i've been gone for about a week, was at work and had a Hopper with about 1500 primers in it explode in my face, a week later I can finally see good enough to get on here and share my experience. I ruptured an ear drum and scratched up the other so my hearing is still screwed up, and I burnt the cornea off in both eyes so my vision is gonna be bad for a while. I had burns all down the right side of my face which have surprisingly already healed. I still have metal particles in my hands, face, and eyes but the Dr said they would work out on their own and everything is just going to take time. Still don't know if my vision and hearing will be as good as it was and probably won't know for a couple weeks yet.

I still don't know how it happened, I had a jam in the primer which is nothing new and went to clear it just like many times before. I see a blinding white flash and hear a dull thud (my coworkers said it was about the loudest boom they've ever heard) and the next thing I know I'm on the floor.

past all the pain all I could think about was my 3 month old daughter and if I'm gonna be blind for the rest of my life and not able to watch her grow up. And all this happened 2 days after I gave my 2 weeks notice because I found a better job.

Attached Files:

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a sad story. I hope you heal fast and completely.

3. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

The Red Mark between my eyes is where I had a primer lodged in my forehead. Most of the blast was directed up because of the design of the hopper. informally I have to have the side door open to clear jams and some of it for me. Needless to say I'm very lucky the damage to me wasn't much worse

Attached Files:

4. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Thank you, I've only been able to own my eyes for more than a couple seconds at a time since yesterday. The healing is getting along pretty quick but I'm not gonna be able to work for a while till the drs clear me

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

So sad to hear about this Jim. But very happy you are here to share your story with us all and that you are healing up fast. Best of wishes and thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

GOOD GRIEF! Hang in there man. I am glad you are still with us.

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Any idea how many primers was in there?

8. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

it was about 1500, but like I said, I only got hit by a small portion of the blast. This can also be a lesson to learn for the hand loaders here. Always respect the primers. I don't know if is true or not but my boss told me once that primers have more explosive property to them than the same weight of propellant

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, at least they didn't have to shave your WHOLE beard.
    ;)

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Dang. I have one of them handloading tools for primers from RCBS, and am always trying to be conscience of keeping it pointed upwards and away. I will be even more careful now. Hope everything heals up quickly.

11. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I don't think 1 would be to bad but I don't know the tool you're using. They are something to be careful of though, especially if you have a bunch sitting lose in a tray. If 1 goes off it can and likely will cause all of them to go

12. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

they wanted to, I wouldn't let em. I still have singed hair on the 'stache and chin haha

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

DAY-UM Jim!!!

Glad to hear you're on the way to recovery. You have just reinforced the reason for good safety glasses when reloading. There have been fatalities at ammo plants when a bucket of primers does a mass detonate.

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Damnit man, that is rotten luck. Best wishes for a total and speedy recovery.

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Damn that had to hurt.

I hope you make a full recovery soon Jim.

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

Geeze Jim. Glad you're healing and are still around. You're right - no matter how bad it currently is, it could have been much worse. By that I mean you're still alive.

And, it seems your vision is improving, which means you will get to see your daughter grow up. :)

Hang in there, keep healing up and relaxing. Soon enough you'll be good as new.

17. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

you're dead on there, I wasn't wearing glasses but wish I had been. It probably wouldn't have helped with the flash but should have kept some of the junk outta my eyes

18. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Since you're the man who has been proven time and again to know everything anyone here wants to know I'll ask you, are primers really more explosive than propellant or was my boss just feeding me a line?

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

Not only does he know everything, but he's an explosives guy, so I'm thinkin' that question might be right up his alley. ;)

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Jim, i'm glad you're healing and hopefully everything will be alright. very painfull looking.

primers can be very dangerous and sometime very unpredictable.

take care ahd get better.