Primed or unprimed?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by supergus, Aug 28, 2009.

1. supergus

supergus New Member

I appreciate all the feedback on my other reloading question; my next question is: should I buy primed or unprimed brass? and why? These aren't from a gun show, they're from Natchez. Is it more cost effective for a lower volume reloader like I will be to buy them unprimed? TIA

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I buy unprimed brass because they don't prime with primers I use (CCI BR-2 and BR-4).

If you are working on a deer hunting load then I say buy primed if you want. You just have to remember that you have to remove the decapping pin when you resize them. Yes all brass needs to be resized before loading. So that is reason 2 why I don't buy primed brass.

3. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I believe you will also be paying a $20 hazmat fee for primed brass. This will make it cost ineffective. And like CP said, you still need to neck size the brass before loading, so you will need to remove the decapping pin from your sizing die.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

No hazmat on primed brass, that's what makes it attractive.

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Oops, my mistake. I would only check the pricing to be sure it's no more expensive than primers+brass. Primed brass shouldn't be more than 3 cents a round more than unprimed brass.

6. supergus

supergus New Member

Thanks guys, I'll do a little number crunching and see what I come up with.:)

7. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

brass

one thought, you will get primers.were as you might find it hard to get them and they go for $40 a thousand.
    I just had a call from a frien that loads commercial he went to a gun show today and sat and sold every thing he had he ased if I had small pistol.I told him I had 5 grand he needed more.and I am in SC and he in Mass.it would have ment $25 hazmat.also.course I would have sent them to him no cost as he would replace when available.

8. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I paid $28/1000 two months ago for just about any size primer LR, LP, SR, or SP. Bench rest and magnums were a few dollars more. Midsouth Shooters Supply.

9. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Primer cost.

I paid $130.00 for a 5K of Rem. 91/2, a month ago, here local=$26.00 per K.:)

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

That's a good price. Nobody locally sells reloading supplies here. I do all my shopping online from MidSouth and have for 15 years, although as people are finding out about them their prices are climbing. The used to be the cheapest for reloading supplies. They still are cheaper than MidWay.