Pricing on mossbergs?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by xcoreyyyx, Jun 19, 2012.

1. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I need just a general price range on some of the guns I am trying to sell if anyone can help. Also, could I take them to a gun shop to get them cleaned up before I sell them? How nice would they clean up or cost to clean up some? I am not talking about rebluing because I am not going to reblue then resell them. I hate the loose action of mossbergs and that's why I am getting rid of them. If more pictures are needed let me know. As you will see the 3rd one has quite a bit of damage to it and it was very mistreated by the previous owner. I do not even know if that is worth selling. It also has quite a bit of rust or all of the bluing has come off of it. One picture is out of place. sorry.

1st- Mossberg 500cg 20ga
    2nd- Mossberg 500a 12ga
    3rd- Mossberg 500a 12ga

Attached Files:

2. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

What do the bores look like are the as bad as the outside? Personally as a gunsmith I would only buy these for the usable parts or as project guns. I think by the time you payed to have them cleaned up you wouldn't see any value in doing it. I'd list them as is in a local trade group and see what is offered. You never know some home gunsmith might offer a decent trade for all three to practice refinishing on.

3. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

All of them except the last one have pretty nice outside on them. Just minor rust that I am going to rub off once stop being lazy and go out and get some kroil and other cleaning supplys for them. Just took a quick peek at the bores. All of them are very very clean. Mirrors all day long. Like I said, the only rough looking one is of the 500a with the light wood on it. It has a rough outside but the inside is nice.

4. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I would still list them for sale or trade. I've done much better trading lately to get what I want. The price of used guns has been high lately but trades for me have been closer to true value. As for the 500a clean what you can but I wouldn't put much in it, like I said someone might want it for a project or camp gun.

5. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I doubt I am going to put much time into the beat up one. I am talking about wiping off some small surface rust of the nice looking 500a. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking. I forget which mod or supporting member is in the virginia area but I am going to be down that way in a few weeks and was hoping to pass off possibly the 500a in beat up condition and possibly an ithaca 22lr. m-49r(I know i'm in the shotgun thread) that I just don't have the experience to fix and thought I would put it into the hands of someone who can redo it. I am headed to 3 upcoming gun shows and was going to sell them there if anyone was looking for them.

6. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I'm in Tn near Nashville. I'm a retired gunsmith. Where are you out of? I have seen several begining gunsmiths on here looking for projects that would allow them to practice. A shotgun with a vent rib can be quite a challange to polish up for refinishing.

7. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I am located in Maryland near Baltimore. I know of no local gunsmiths that have been actually recommended to me on a good basis. It kind of sucks that I can't just go down the street and have someone look at what I have and work on it if needed. I have to do all the minor things by myself. I am learning slowly but surely. I have talked to a person on here before that is located in central virginia. Not a gunsmith for a job but as a hobby if I remember correctly. I will be headed to the virginia/north carolina line practically to visit family and I will be headed through virginia and figured I could always make a detour to pass on an old gun to someone who can actually do something with it. If you know any Maryland gunsmiths please let me know and I will check into taking my stuff there.

8. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

If I hear of anyone I will let you know.

9. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Thanks for looking out and the input here.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

$50-$200 each as I see them. $300-$350 all I'd guesstimate.

11. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Yep I'd give $100 for 20 gauge and real rusty 12.

12. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

I am willing to let them go for quite cheap because I just want to get rid of them and put the cash toward something else. Hopefully someone will want them at the upcoming gunshows.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay anyone to clean them up. I'd just take 0000 copperwool or steel wool if you must, and some gun oil and work on the rust I can see.

The nicer ones could get between $100-150.

The really rough one $50-100

Once tey are cleaned up the Mossbergs aren't bad. I know a lot of people don't like the play that the riveted action bars gives, when compared to the welded bars of an 870. But they really are a very durable shotgun. They should make someone a nice workable project.

14. longunner

longunner New Member

Jeez looks like the 3rd one took a direct hit from a load of birdshot.

15. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

take a look at the gun auction sites & see what mossberg 500's are going for, you may be suprised. most 20 gauges i've seen get bid over $200 pretty quick.

i wouldn't pay anyone to clean them up for you, swab the bores & clean the action & call it good. the rough one....i guess it is what it is, polish off the rust as much as you can & price it reasonable. people like me are a sucker for a good fixer upper

16. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Thanks for the input.