Priceless

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ChicagoJoe, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Weatherby Vanguard S2, .308 Win: $425

Redfield Revolution 2-7 scope: $165

Box of Remington CoreLokt 180gr: $19.99

Shooting a 9/16" group with an entry level rifle and scope using inexpensive factory ammunition that is sold everywhere: priceless.

Attached Files:

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I hear so much crap about the Wetherby vanguard. But then I hear that they're made under license by Howa in Japan, and that Howa is a good maker. Makes no sense to me. It obviously shoots great.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You aren't alone in your joy....only mine was a Marlin not a Weatherby.

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

You should try shooting further than 50 yards...lol j/k Nice shooting.

5. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Silver, there was no skill involved; I was shooting off a bench with sandbags. It was a new rifle and I was grouping with several brands of ammo and bullet weights to see what she liked. To my eternal joy, she liked ammo that has served me well in the past, is available everywhere and costs only $19.99/box of 20.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

There's no skill involved only when you press the muzzle against the paper. Stop being modest, that's good shooting. Even military snipers use bipods and bags.

7. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Spit, your Marlin and my Weatherby are proof positive that one can get accuracy from entry level rifles that would have been inconceivable from even upmarket factory rifles just 20 years ago. It is a glorious time to be a hunter or shooting enthusiast.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Just think, one day, when our great grandchildren are packing laser rifles, these cheapo depot entry level guns will be like the heirlooms some of us enjoy as granddad's old model 70, lee Enfield, model 94, etc., etc...

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Are you really surprised?? Its a Weatherby.......... :)

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

NO its a howa passing off as a wetherby.

11. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

I need to get to the range again with my Marlin X7 in .308. The rifle shoots like a dream (I didn't have my scope installed to be square with the rifle) and I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots now that I have it set up properly. At 50 yards it was a tack driver even with the scope installed improperly. I'll post a range report once I get it zeroed for 100 then 200 yards.

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

What country is THAT gonna be in? If we don't get out and vote right YOU won't be keeping that Weatherby "sniper rifle" no less your great grandchildren, and they won't live in a world where development continues and is affordable by the average citizen. Think, I dunno, let's just say Kenya...

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yo. A man can dream. Ya dig?

14. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Good shootin. Looks like it was good time.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Had a similar experience with my TC 30.06

Purchased several boxes of premium ammo to see which load and bullet weight grouped the best. After being disappointed with all the premium loads I'd brought I was about to call if a lemon when I noticed a half a box of old Remi Cor Lock 150's in the bottom of my range bag.

I sent 3 downrange and was eased with a slightly sub MOA group, about .85 or so.

I Zero's to this load and never looked back. I only hunt white tail with this gun so 150's are fine.

Nothing better than great accuracy with the cheapest most available load on the market. :)

Tack

16. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Tackle, amen. Just think, it was not long ago when guys had to buy high end factory or custom rifles and develop their own loads to get that kind of accuracy. Today, any guy can get an entry level rifle from Savage, TC, Weatherby/Howa, Marlin et al and shoot under an inch with inexpensive factory ammo.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

A strong testament to how far we've come in precision engineering.

Both the entry level rifles and factory ammunition have improved in quality.

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

There is a difference between the Howa action and the vangaurd, not the same.
    It is made by Howa, but a Weatherby design.

19. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

JPatterson, I think the Vanguard and Howa 1500 actions are both variations of the Howa, with the exception being the Howa does not have the cap on the back of the bolt. If you look at the Weatherby and Legacy Sports (Howa's US importer) they both introduced the three position safety and two stage trigger at the same time. Their stocks, however, are different.

20. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I would have to disagree...
    My 1960's Weatherby MK.XXII out shoots all my friends new "spiffy" customized 10/22's (Even with the Remington ammo, I think im the only person who actually likes that ammo)

A friend was shooting my 1903 and said it was every bit as accurate as his modern fully customized Rem 700..
    His 700 has a custom stock, free-floated barrel, trigger, handloaded .308 rds..
    My '03 was just in its military configuration with some '77 Greek surplus rds, and he managed to hit a 1" piece of rod at 400 yds, on the first shot!! :eek:

Arent both rifles (Howa/Weaterby) Just variations of a Mauser, just like almost every other bolt action??