Priced are too high on used guns

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by mudpupp, Apr 7, 2012.

1. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Have been scanning the pages of our local ads for weeks looking to buy a used but decent full size 9mm for my son to use out at Frontsight Firearms Training Institute.

I have been offering sellers $350 cash and a Diamond Lifetime membership to Frontsight.

People think their used guns are made of gold and worth full retail price.

Is it me or are used guns overpriced?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's all about the market with the ones that know what they are doing. When guns get scarce prices go up. The others are likely people with sentimental value price issues.

3. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

We are entering election year panic. Not gonna get any cheaper, at least not until we get a different President.

4. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

it has been my experience used guns have always been overpriced unless you are that lucky guy who happens to run into people that just need cash right now so they come into the local tavern at happy hour and sell their inherited mint condition Winchester to some guy for 150 bucks, I have never been that lucky guy, ever.

5. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I buy all my guns used usually off the local trade pages on Facebook. People do ask outrageous prices for guns and others offer outrageous money to buy, it's pretty much all bull. If I see a gun I'm interested in I send the owner a private message with the price I'm willing to pay, they almost always say no. I wait a few days and then I get a message or a call asking if my offer still stands, I've done very well this way and only pay what I'm willing to pay. If I lose one another will be along tomorrow.

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Friend of mine had one of the NRA 1911's that he bought for 1200... just sold it for 3500. Guess my offer of $300 was a little low :)

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You've got to look harder, a full sized used 9mm can be found for $350. Pawn shops, gun shops, gun shows, local ads. And online it's not hard. CDNN has the S&W 5906 for $300.

As far as knocking the price down with a membership, if I were a seller I wouldn't be interested.

8. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The price of guns has been a hot topic for the past two years, and there does not seem to be any relief in sight for the next two. I noticed the high profile gun shops in Michigan raising their prices $350 on the cheap low caliber guns, and $500 on the new high caliber guns.

The only relief there is might be the small back yard FFLs who can order guns from a honest supplier. But, that might be a long shot. Even the guns I have would not go cheap because I would then have to replace them at a higher cost. I have the four basic calibers .380, 9mm, .40, and .45 replacement cost would be too high to sell them now.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Unfortunatly, I have to agree with what has been said previously. Still, there is some light at the end of the tunnel in the new gun market with a few of the lower priced lesser known makes such as SCCY and FMK. I've shot the SCCY (pronounced sky) and found it to be a pretty good alternative and for $299, reasonable. I'm in the process of evaluating the FMK 9c1, Gen 2 and so far its another good alternative 9mm. This one I sell for $399. It has a Glock feel to a degree and shoots fairly well. I'm waiting to get the optional combat trigger group to evaluate also, which has just finished R&D. This will make the 9c1 more appealing to more shooters.

I believe that if more give the newer players a chance, they might be pleasantly surprised with some of the lower priced offerings out there now and lose the notions about "name brand" guns being the only ones to buy. Maybe this might bring some sense to those used sellers who think they have gold. So why be compelled to buy used to save money if good new reasonably priced offerings are available.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  10. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

You are absolutely correct. I got the four basic Hi-Point calibers .380 CF, 9mm C9, .40 JCP, .45 JHP, and the 4595TS carbine; plus ammo for each gun for under $900. To beat it all, each of the guns shoot just fine.

11. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

The problem that we small mom & pop shops have is getting inventory to sell at times. It's getting really bad now. Still, I pride myself on treating everyone fairly as I want to be treated. Most other of us do also, fortunately. That may be our only saving grace in this marketplace. I can say with some pride that I've saved my clients a lot of money. My markups are low (still can afford to as I have a day job) and I pass on sale prices that come up from the wholesalers while I'm quite some of the larger dealers do not. I believe that my counterparts can make similar claims. So, if anyone wants to pay through the nose going to Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops, it's your money. Ok, maybe I'm blowing my horn a bit, but all of us little guys probably still can also. That is, as long as we get the support of the buying public. Otherwise, we are going to become history.

I have relationships with several local brick & mortar independant gun shops around here. I'm pleased to say that they haven't gone out of their way to gouge anyone...yet, and hopefully, never. Another reason to head way out of the urban areas to shop. Yeah, we're pretty rural here.

12. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Trade pages in facebook? What is that?

13. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

5936 used is even better priced, but I don't know much about either one. Can they handle a 4 day defensive handgun course shooting 800 rounds in 4 days and handle forced failure drills!

14. cybor_2099

cybor_2099 New Member

Wish i had more shops like that around me. I do go out of my way to go these smaller shops. I enjoy the personal service and care from the smaller shops more. The best part is if there is something a small shop doesnt have, accessory wise, i have had the best luck with them helping me get it.

15. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I hate to say it, but the small shops in Las Vegas are greedy little b@asturds , who overcharge for even the littlest things like transfer fees..

We buy everything we can from Walmart so we don't feel like we grabbed our ankles.

So far this year I have purchased a 12 gauge auto loader and a mini - 30. I bought one through Walmart special order, and one at Gunauction.com. Combined I saved over $400 from our local store prices. I bought an AR last December from a local store at the gun show, and still overpaid .. But I needed it that day.

That is serious money, and you can't tell me Walmart and the store I bought from online, don't make a profit.

I understand they have to make money, but $40 transfer fees and $200 more than online stores for long guns is ridiculous considering they are selling them faster than they can get them here..

Just because there are only two mini 30's in town doesn't mean you should charge $939 when online its only $719

Greed.. I hope it bites them in the arse..

Makes me happy to see greedy businesses close their doors cuz they priced themselves out of business.

TGFW (Thank God for Walmart)

Rant complete (takes a bow)

16. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

The used market could easily collapse.

There are a lot of people buying for political reasons (future bans, Obama,Romney). Fears of economic collapse & other SHTF scenarios. Then the heavy hitting "preppers", who are getting into the game late & willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money on a firearm they know nothing about.
    It's starting to feel like the tech stocks, the housing market, & bank crashes. The bubble can only get so big before the it goes pop.
    Just a couple weeks ago I traded this moron from the city a FN FNP-9 that i had 10 trillion rounds through for a model 99 Savage, a Winchester 1892 in 25-20, Winchester 94 in 25-35, a Remington semi shotgun. He wanted the FN for conceal carry just in case things got worse in his neighborhood. I laughed & said he was going to look like Dirk Diggler carrying that cannon around.
    I have enough AR's, AK's & Hi cap pistols that I'm more than happy to trade in on collector pieces. When the bubble pops I don't think it will impact the crufflers much..........I hope.

17. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I hope so, cash in hand I can buy some good ones for my kids to inherit.

18. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

On Facebook there are several special interest groups I have one that is just local four wheelers swapping parts, 3 fishing and hunting equipment sites and two that are just people posting guns for sale or trade. It's all done legally and we have moderators that keep an eye out for any violations. Just search Facebook the site I use is Middle TN Gun Traders, just find a site near you and ask to join.

19. Gunslinger82

Gunslinger82 New Member

Walmart does not make a profit from firearms the markup on there guns is small. A guy that worked in the sporting goods department scanned a guns barcode and showed me the information on the item. It showed it was priced at 7%(on a $200 price tag) markup and the guy said that that was higher than their avg markup on there firearms.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The 5906 is a chunky, reliable pistol and rated for 9mm +P+ so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't stand up to a class like that. Heavy gun but very light recoil.

As far as comments of new guns by lesser known manufacturers vs. used guns with a familiar brand name, I'd normally go with the latter. Parts are easier to find for Colt, S&W, Ruger and Glock while the oddball down the road could be a real problem, even to find magazines, grips or recoil springs.

And of course the great things buying used, no paperwork, no tax/extra charges in most states. I recently bought a Glock 27 for $350 cash that was LNIB. Remember to have cash with you, nothing works better to get a good price.